Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Still have my NAD tape deck and it has options for Dolby B/C and metal/chrome tapes.
    Have to pull out my tapes I used to record some of the “live to air” on 4ZzZ in the ‘90s.

2. bYrd

bYrd Member

Just picked up an Apple Development Transition Kit, the first Intel Apple machine (so to speak) sent to developers for the PowerPC to Intel transition in 2005. Apple leased them out to developers for $999 for one year, then snaffled them back up at the end - offering an Intel iMac when you did. Can't say there are too many left out there, and many would have been destroyed as it looks like a standard G5 on the outside.

Inside, it's an Intel branded motherboard with a 3.6Ghz Pentium 4 Prescott CPU, but with custom ports to line in with the G5 rear case ports. It runs a mostly PowerPC version of Mac OS X 10.4.1 (Rosetta emulation), or Mac OS X 10.4.3 with much more Intel code. I've sourced these and will try them out, I believe the computer was used as a vanilla Windows XP box for some years. I'll also get Windows XP back on it, as it'll make for a good mid-2005 Wintel box too. Maybe, Windows 98?

Computer has some surface rust and overall a bit grotty, but should come up pretty well with a tear down and deep clean. Pics/build to come! :)

BuzzPuppy, flu!d, BuuBox and 2 others like this.
  3. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Cassettes are a bit of fun. Technically flawed, but hey, people froth over vinyl pressed from a digital source.

I've got a mid-range Pioneer W550R which is quite good. Wouldn't spend current eBay prices on equipment though.

adz and flu!d like this.
  4. Vanne

Vanne Member

Whats your indy like? XL? or stock? PM me if you need anything :D
    Very fond memories of that machine.
    ;)

5. badmofo

badmofo Member

I do like the physical nature of tapes and the related hardware. I spent a couple of happy hours tonight fixing up the VCR I posted about earlier - some of the plastic guides for the mechanics had cracked so it was randomly ejecting the tape, fun to mess around with and possible for a hack like me to work with. The local recycle center also has a decent range of tapes going, 50 cents each or 3 for $1 :lol:. Picked up Lost Boys and Air America, both in great condition and the picture is surprisingly good on my nice little Trinitron.

6. Phido

Phido Member

Also purchased:
    Compaq Deskpro 386 - The first 386 - Of course with my 386 obsession, this is an obvious obsession. She needs work. This will be a proper restoration. Not an attempt to build another mega386.

Stock. I will be after Irix disc images and other software, if I can get this scsi cd drive working and maybe a SD2scsi thing.

7. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Picked this up for $50 at a garage sale today. Also had two C64 paddle controllers in the box.

[​IMG]

PogiPinoy, Phido, Flamin Joe and 9 others like this.
  8. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

WOT A SCORE !!!

9. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Today I am going through the fun (no really!) process of all my hoarded gear. I’d doubled-up... ok, quadrupled up on everything just in case something failed.

My 386SX-20 will be the very last thing and I rue disposing of my AT PSUs and cases.

Currently, it’s all Pii-piii Slot 1/A Socket 370/ early 462 and SD-RAM, but I forgot that I had stashed away quite a few PCI S3 cards and underneath them were three Voodoo2 12MB cards with SLi cables!!!

Now to fire them up later on this evening

bYrd likes this.
  10. adz

adz Member

I found a Sega Master System II in my collection that I didn't know I had, does that count? :lol::lol::lol:

elvis and BuzzPuppy like this.
  11. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Eight plastic tubs and twenty motherboard boxes... this is just a small sample and will be fun to see how much works.

Ooooh a Geforce4 Ti 4600!

Attached Files:

adz likes this.
  12. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

So my 7950gx2’s turned up however after installing the latest xp drivers whenever I go to enable Quad SLI it freezes up and upon reboot shows code 43 on the GPUs in device manager :/ unfortunately I don’t have time until next weekend to do some trouble shooting and I don’t have another board SLI capable :(

13. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

ooooh dip switches :D

14. Phido

Phido Member

Ok It looks like I have (un)carefully invested my entire tax return for this year, into retro hardware:
    • I have picked up my PS/2 286 (with 16bit micro-channel!) and my matching IBM 8513 monitor (which is what I really wanted .28 dot pitch but in a 1980's monitor). Model M and original IBM mouse are also planned.
    • My Compaq Deskpro 386s. The *FIRST* 386 computer. SX16Mhz, no cache. I will be trying to keep this one pretty much stock, and will be restoring it. This will involve the mother of all external cleanups and retrobrighting. Inside it is amazingly clean and boots (not to OS though). I am contemplating of installing a SCSI setup in this 386 for storage. I have an Intel 8/16 network card coming for this, probably a Compaq isa sound card too. It has 4mb ram, and I will probably leave it at that. I really want to get a matching keyboard but I think I have blown my budget on a model M (which is a better keyboard). My existing 386 setup is otherworldly, so this one will be more Representative of early 286/386's in the 1980's.
    • My Macintosh IIsi is on its way, should be here shortly. I like the look of this Mac, it has stronger lines and performance than the LC's but not as blocky as the II-IIFX series. It is of a proper snow white design and arguably one of the cleanest. I will probably overclock this with a 50/55/60mhz chip (to give 25/28/30mhz) which should make it about as fast as a IIci and jam in 16+1mb ram. I think I will migrate this to a SD2scsi adapter, these are meant to be quite quick as well. I have an external CD drive, so lack of CD isn't a huge issue, and it comes with ethernet (and a PGA copro socket). Sure a IIci or IIFX would be neat (although everyone says IIFX are nightmares), but the IIsi is still I think a neat setup. Being a competitor of things like the 386 Deskpro I think will make for interesting comparisons.
    • I will pick up my Macintosh Colour Classic on the weekend. I am contemplating a Takky upgrade with something with a 68040, and do the 640x480 mod. Or maybe leave it stock. I think these will be quite collectable. I have always loved the older mini macs (SE, Classic, SE/30, Plus) so I bought this instead of one of them (for now) and I think the colour classic is the ultimate evolution of it. They sure seem rarer. I have an external CD drive so again, not a big issue for lack of a CD drive. The 10" trinitron screen always looked very cool. I was going to limit myself to 1 mac, but the colour classic, how could I resist at $200?
    Also got a vader 6 switcher Atari 2600. No sticks or games. But I do have one or two old 2600 carts and my c64 joysticks should also work. Classic console.

My voodoo II's arrived, which I want to try out in my PCI 486 build and my Pentium III build (where they will probably live).

Now I just need the block Ebay and not stalk forums and fix up and finish what I have.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Vanne, JidaiGeki and matz like this.
  15. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Fantastic haul!

Re the Deskpro, it had a full 386 16MHz, as the SX came along after the 386 (or 386DX). I picked one up at the ACMS recently, haven't had a chance to look inside it yet though. Do wish I'd had the chance to store the matching monitor for it though, it would have looked pretty special. Oh well. Edit: sorry meant the very first Deskpro 386 was a full 386, missed the 's' in 386s! - this is the one I'm storing:

[​IMG]

Enjoy the IIsi, they're a nice form factor. Most of them will need re-capping, and see if you can get a spare power supply or two - I could never source a power supply, and so sold mine on cheaply a couple of years ago.

Looking forward to all the future build threads :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Phido and adz like this.
  16. Phido

Phido Member

Yeh, mine is the 386s i guess for sx.. still looks like 1988 ish build.

I have a feeling both the iisi and the deskpro will need capping. Probably more. You can mod atx (sfx?) psu for use in macs apparently. I'm hesitant to get loads of old stuff because of caps.

I think i have a good range of gear. I think i can keep it operational.

When i overclock the iisi, i will probably recap it. My dream is to recap everything.

I want to migrate to things like sd cards for storage. Less hassle in the long run.

17. PogiPinoy

PogiPinoy Member

Too awesome!!

Love the boxes too.

18. flain

flain Member

I've just ordered what i hope is everything i need to build a new neogeo cab. Arcadeworx have helped me spec out a cab that should arrive flat packed once the order is complete, i've ordered buttons/sticks jamma harness, psu, neogeo mv1f board (stereo board) and the multi cart, amp, speakers etc. Now the waiting game for everything to arrive so i can put it all together :). This is the hardest part of the process.

TheWedgie likes this.
  19. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Nice, what screen did you go with?

20. flain

flain Member

I *really* want a CRT but for now i've got a 27" LCD i have spare with a CGA to VGA converter board. The LCD does have 1ms latency so that's something (it's a not-so-old gaming LCD). The converter board also will display in 4:3 for me (i can't stand seeing stretched games).

*edit* correction on lag - 1ms pixel response time, 10ms input lag (newer version of the Viewsonic VX2776 using displaylag.com)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    TheWedgie likes this.