Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Just be careful with these if you're using RGB - the sync out is TTL level (around ~5Vpp) which can damage a TV expecting standard csync at ~1Vpp. You'll need to add a resistor inline to bring the voltage down.

The composite and s-video out are fine, however.

2. flain

flain Member

Thanks for the warning, i'll make sure to research before wiring in the converter board / jamma connector. I was hoping to get a FPGA based HDMI mod for it in future. That'll be a project for another day though, and also dependent on if the guy on the neogeo forums still does the boards or not. First things first is to get things working :)

The HDMI mod is here https://github.com/charcole/NeoGeoHDMI and there's a thread on the neo geo forums where he takes orders with not a lot of new ones in the last 6 months

3. Phido

Phido Member

Equipment update:
    Commodore XT PC (operational, sort of, need screen and keyboard)
    IBM 5170 (case/chassis and motherboard Not working)
    IBM PS/2 8550 (Case, motherboard) and VGA monitor and Model M keyboard Not working
    Compaq 386s deskpro (case, motherboard, HD, Floppies) Not working
    486 Motherboard (and 486DX40 + CPU and 586/133) to go into new case build, Savage4 8mb, ATI rage 8mb, Not working
    Pentium II/III (old dead abit mobo, but new BX to go in GF4 Ti4200) Not working
    Macintosh si (hopefully working)
    Macintosh Colour Classic (not working hopefully battery change away)
    Macintosh Classic x 2 (not working both gutted)
    Amiga 500 (should be arriving before the end of the week). Should all be operational.
    C64 (all good, but i have an old 51/4 which needs alignment).
    Super fast 386 (486sxl 50mhz, 32mb ram 32gb etc)

Most of these have been acquired in the last few weeks. I have quite a few projects to get operational.

Vanne, macplus, adz and 1 other person like this.
  4. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Purchased a Japanese Time Crisis cabinet the other day :) (it's been in my want list for a VERY LONG time... now it's just daytona left to get!)

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the cab game isn't working, it goes into a bootloop error

The solenoid coil, spring and spacers are also missing from the gun, the bracket is broken and wires have been cut so the gun was inoperable when I got the cab.

[​IMG]

Purpose of the cab is to hopefully get the original game board working, but to get my PS2 Namco library working.

After a weekend with it, I wired up the 12v, 5v and gnds from the system 22 psu into the terminal points of the scart to jamma. Also wired up the RGBSGND of the monitor to the terminal points of the scart to jamma, added a little tiny amp and wired up the speaker to the amp and voila! We have a working PS2 and Namco Gun with sound!

The solenoid on one gun is really weak and was used purely as a testing unit..

Gun 1 = my original gun I worked to get to get the guncon2 working with the Namco gun. Solenoid is perfect.

Gun 2 and 3 = recently quoted ebay guns

As you can see, the solenoid on gun 3 is shocking when it comes to rapid fire.

Enter Zax Amusements! One of their employees reached out and advised they hard parts I was wanting. Low and behold, they happened to have one solenoid left. It was a no brainier, I had to purchase to replace gun 3.

The package was received yesterday and I now have two brand new shells!

[​IMG]

Working on the solenoids and wiring...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cleaning and greasing the rails, replacing the solenoid and shell, the gun is pretty much brand spanking new and she fires so nice in rapid fire mode!

PS2 is working like a treat! I'm still very hopefully that the TC board set I purchased fixes the arcade board issue

Things left to do is:

- build a second gun driver for point blank action
    - get the TC game board fixed (if the game board set i purchased doesn't fix my issue, I'll re evaluate to confirm if I want to fix or not)
    - give the cab a complete clean
    - continue to look for a complete Japanese topper

GumbyNoTalent, adz, WuZMoT and 3 others like this.
  5. aokman

aokman Member

Well my Atari Jaguar finally arrived from the US, after convincing a collector to part with it :) Always wanted an Atari Jaguar but it was a no brainer with this super rare hard case and Catbox! So much history :)

$450 in FedEX shipping :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Vanne, elvis, mR_CaESaR and 1 other person like this.
  6. elvis

Flamin Joe likes this.
  7. aokman

aokman Member

That is awesome! It is so great that when Hasbro bought out Atari, they released all the assets to the public along with the encryption keys allowing anyone to produce content for it now rather that it rotting into the past :(

elvis likes this.
  8. flain

flain Member

I don't want to take this thread off topic but do you think this might work? http://retroelectronik.com/en/accue...mma-to-scart-rgb-adapter-retroelectronik.html it appears to have a resistor on sync along with pots on the RGB lines

I decided to bite the bullet and buy an OSSC, considering the cost of everything else going into the project i figure its a bit silly not to invest in getting a decent picture

I tried the cga to vga adapter (its a gbs-8200) thats quite common and the picture looks really bad, can't say i expected much from a cheap chinese board though. I emailed the neovga guy (who makes a FPGA based board to pull video digitally off the neogeo bus) and he is planning to do a new revision in the future, but there is no solid timeline there. So i figured id get the OSSC and wire that in, if at some stage the neovga comes back i can take the OSSC and put it in my next project (a CPS2 cab).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  9. elvis

10. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Acquired Activision's Tony Hawk's PRO SKATER 2 for PC...… for nothing! In near perfect condition, case & disc!

Vanne likes this.
  11. Vanne

Vanne Member

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

Bought a bunch of high end AGP cards over the last few weeks.

1. BFG 7800 GS 256mb
    2. EVGA GeForce 6800GT 256mb
    3. ATI Radeon 9800XT 256mb
    4. ATI X850 PRO 256mb

All come with upgraded NV/AT coolers, or I purchased the coolers separately to upgrade them when they arrived.

13. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've been in the market for a good retro tennis game after really enjoying, but ultimately getting fed up with Pete Sampras Tennis on the Mega Drive. It's a beautifully polished game but there's a hard cutoff at which point the AI goes from competitive to only beatable by gaming it. I've ordered Sampras Tennis 96 (SMD) and Sampras Extreme Tennis (PS1) to try next - the Sampras thing is totally unintentional, I'm just choosing these based on reviews and YouTube footage!

I also snagged me Greatest Heavyweights for the SMD and a Light Phaser for my SMS - I've been meaning to grab a gun for ages for no other reason that I used one a bit as a lad. Now I guess I need to buy a game to try it with :p

14. aokman

aokman Member

I feel bad for the Jaguar, hence wanting one in the collection. It didnt deserve the fate it suffered mostly at the hands of shitty and lazy game developers who couldnt work with the hardware.

15. elvis

Yes and no. I mean, there's clear evidence of where developers did work with "difficult hardware", and it paid off (PS2 and to a lessor extent the PS3, for example).

The Jaguar suffered the same design sin as the Sega Saturn - the two CPU design. Now, it's really easy in 2018 to say "well yeah, we all play games on multi-core CPUs today, so what's the issue?". But consider two things:

1) Developers today have highly abstracted tools that do much of the "clever hardware stuff" for them. No developer is writing their own 3D API or sound engine or anything else today. Most of their effort is going into wrangling an existing game engine to do what they want, and that game engine is doing all the heavy lifting down at the CPU/GPU level, allowing game developers to do what they do best - develop the game part.

2) Even with very advanced, very clever game engines, and modern operating systems that can handle both symmetric and asymmetric multi processing, most of our games today are still largely single threaded. So go back in time to the Saturn/Jaguar era (release almost at the same time as one another, so there was no opportunity for one to learn from the other's mistakes), and likewise many games on those platforms more or less picked one of the CPUs to work from, and ignored the other.

So it's easy to say "lazy developers" - but game developers aren't always hardware people. They're artists and storytellers first and foremost. Sure, bigger studios can afford to have dedicated hardware geniuses on staff to tinker with hardware. But many studios didn't, and just had folks who knew their way around common CPUs, but always in a single processor style. (Moving to multi-processing is an exceptionally difficult thing to do down at the assembly code level - I did one semester of SMP ASM in uni, and my brain damned near melted out of my skull).

1993/1994 was a difficult time - you had the rock-solid grip on the console market from the old 16 bit console kings Sega and Nintendo, and you had Sony blowing everyone out of the water with the PlayStation (a single-CPU system that was ridiculously easy to programme for, cheap to get a license for, and had the financial and marketing backing of the enormous Sony corp). Pretty much everyone else was going to have a hell of a time competing. Add to that the fact that the world was going 3D crazy, and shitting on anything that couldn't do bleeding edge 3D:

IMG_20180830_130052.png

And you've got an uphill battle for anyone who can't produce easy-to-code for 3D, or spectacular looking games.

Atari's history is a sad one. They were on a "guaranteed win" for a long time, but got arrogant and lost it all. Compare and contrast to the humility and dedication of the Japanese developers through the 80s and 90s, Atari's brash American style of management meant that they were the brightly shining star that burned out, and never recovered. All of their sins were of their own making, and all of their bad choices didn't help them with the fierce Japanese competition of the same time.

16. aokman

aokman Member

mmm everyone has their opinions I guess I just think it was the same as its always been where developers want to release to as many platforms as possible with as little effort as possible... The complexity of the Jaguar put them off and they focused on simpler platforms which could be ported easier. Hell most of the Jaguar games that were ported didn't even use the Tom and Jerry chips and just the sub processor. Doom was probably one of the shining examples of what the console could really do, it was the best port out of all the consoles, had box around a shrunken image etc. Even to this day people are still unlocking more power from it and it is crazy what they have it doing now.

On another note, 2nd purchase arrived today :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daft_Munt and Vanne like this.
  17. elvis

Of course they do. Why would you want to release on a platform that takes enormous effort, when that just eats into your profits (or worse, puts you in the red)?

Like it or not, video games are a commercial venture, not a charity. If it takes you twice as long or twice as many people to port your game to a console, you want at least twice the profit in return. If you can't guarantee that, no bueno.

Conversely, if you are making a console to compete with the big guys who already have the majority market share, you damned well better make it cheaper to port to, otherwise you're dead in the water.

Profit = income minus expenses. Business 101.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  18. aokman

aokman Member

I am agreeing with you but I just think its really sad that the most superior console in the day lost purely due to bad game development. It blows my mind that the Jaguar was hitting the streets when the Megadrive and SNES were in their prime. Not only did they beat Sony and Nintendo but they outperformed them drastically also.

Tomorrow's Vintage pickup most likely, Sega Saturn, Megadrive 2, MegaCD and 32x bundle. All in mint condition.

19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Darn that's nice and white, all 3 of my DC's are frikkin yellow.. :( Nice pickup :D

20. aokman

aokman Member

Thanks, yes I only buy perfect examples many of them had yellow bottoms but I really pay for it lol, this one set me back $290 but just took it apart to audit the caps and what needs ordering. Now I am on the hunt for a mint megadrive 2 / SegaCD and 32x but I have a lead on some already :) Going to try ceramic coating the chassis to protect them from future UV

Tonights progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]