Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Glad I am not the only one to have several DCs. That one is so white it would make Pauline proud.

aokman, Vanne and elvis like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Games make the platform. "Technical masturbation" over specs is fun (I admit, I enjoy it), but content is what matters.

The best films aren't always made with the best cameras. The best music isn't always made with the most expensive instruments. The best books weren't typed out on the most expensive typewriters or computers.

Part of what I love about retro gaming is seeing what brilliant people did with extremely limited resources. Or as Orson Welles once said, "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations". Some of the best games of all time came out on platforms that were surprisingly limited, and in no way the winning specs of their time.

I laughed. :)

Phido, Daft_Munt and adz like this.
  3. aokman

aokman Member

Well I don't agree with it at all as it has propegated to this day. Atari simply had the superior hardware and brought it to the consumer market a full year ahead of the Playstation and 3 years ahead of the Nintendo 64. The problems started when evelopers kept focusing on older models because they already knew them inside out and it was quicker to churn out a game all . This is the biggest problem with the video game industry and why were are stuck in a rutt now. All consumer consoles are scared of making their platform radically different to push the limits and instead all focus on being PC clones to make game porting across all platforms easy.

and we all know what that means, every console has to cater for the lowest common denominator and normal PC's are left hamstrung. Don't get me wrong I understand business but I bloody hate it. Long gone are the days where all consoles used radically different hardware offering unique feature sets and titles. Sure there are exclusives these days but its all BS, they can easily run on ANY platform but they simply use it as a cheap tool to sell their consoles rather than another that has 90% of the same games. The only reason CELL in the PS2 survived was due to the backing of Sony to make exclusives.

A great documentary about the history:

4. elvis

I don't quite understand what you don't agree with. Sales records and profits are public, and are an objective measure of commercial success. You can't agree or disagree with objective numbers.

Nintendo, to this day, works on the concept of doing the best they can commercially with the lowest-end hardware they can get away with. In literally every generation of their gaming hardware, dating right back to their old TV pong clones and "Game and Watch" hardware, this has been their M.O., and has been exceptionally financially successful for them (to the point where their competitors of the 80s and 90s have all vanished, while they remain standing, even with dramatic trend changes in the market).

And that's fine - you can like or dislike whatever you want. I *LOVE* the Sega SC-3000 personal computer, which was a total sales/commercial failure. And I can stand on my soapbox and yell at the world about how it should have gone differently. But I also understand and appreciate why other bits of hardware did better, commercially speaking.

I guess my message to you is separate your subjective feelings from your objective understanding. No person on Earth can tell you what you should like or dislike. But you can't argue with the numbers, whether you like them or not.

Of course. As I said above, games make the console. Sony backing their own console was a smart move. Atari not pumping out good quality exclusives for their console was not clever.

Again, commercial realities are commercial realities, whether we like them or not. Maybe in a parallel universe where we can all create art for the warm and fuzzies, these sorts of things can succeed. But here on planet Earth, if you don't make money, you die.

Great documentary. Hopefully we'll see more like them on similarly "obscure due to commercial failure" consoles that deserve their place in history.

I recommend similar documentaries on the PC Engine, for similar reasons. Another personal favourite console of mine that similarly did quite poorly due to third party absences.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  5. badmofo

badmofo Member

I picked up 'Greatest Heavyweights' for my SMD recently and was interested to see that when I fired it up initially it displayed a message saying that it would only run on PAL or French SECAM machines. That puzzled me for a moment until I remembered I had my machine switched to 60Hz - once switched back to 50Hz the game loaded fine. Switching back to 60Hz mid-game cause glitches.

So there you go, a true PAL game on the SMD - I wonder how many there are?

6. callan

callan Member

Another VIC20 multi-cart arrived today - this time from Canada. Seems rather nice, has a lot of games on it, and works well. Needs a sacrificial cartridge case though..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some fun to be had in coming days :)

Callan

breech, Phido, flu!d and 3 others like this.
  7. elvis

Not many, but certainly more common if the game was made by an EU/UK developer.

8. kjparker

kjparker Member

Got access to a 3d printer? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:692797

9. callan

callan Member

Thanks. The one you linked to was a C64 cartridge, but I found a Vic20 equivalent pretty quickly on the site!

Callan

10. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Ah Lunar Lander on the good 'ol Vic20, the game/machine that started my interest in computing. Good memories.

Vanne and elvis like this.
  11. Chomper

Chomper Member

Bought a single big box game from a local seller, went around to their house to collect it and they gave me all of these big box games for nothing.
    big box.jpg
    A few nice ones in there. :)

Flamin Joe, Vanne and JidaiGeki like this.
  12. Vanne

Vanne Member

Dude must have been a Simmer ;)
    Congrats, that DIG game in there is bloody epic.prob worth a few Bob too.

13. flain

flain Member

A few things arrived today

CPS2 A+B board with Marvel super heroes. Plan is to build a dedicated CPS2 cab and get the darksoft flash kit for it. Pics below, i plugged it into my jamma cab to test it out, it's wired with a CPS1 kick harness so i'll need to source an adapter to play it properly.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Naomi 2 board with netboot dimm and working bios/firmware for netbooting. Plan is for a dedicated naomi cab :).I need to consider how i'll connect it up, i'm thinking of skipping jamma (requires an IO module) and wiring up stuff directly since the cab will be dedicated.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    mR_CaESaR likes this.
  14. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Have you already got a Darksoft kit?

I'd love to get one, but the cost of a CPS2 A+B board and the darksoft kit is far too expensive for my "arcade" budget - currently trying to do some sort of sega driving conversion.

Very nice! So jelly!

Out of curiosity, did the Naomi 2 board with netdimm cost a bit? I'd love to get my hands on that, but judging the prices I've seen, I'm more than happy to stick to my DC for the time being :D :D

How did you do it? retrobrite? What combination did you use? Hair peroxide?

15. aokman

aokman Member

Came that way, its been sealed up in a box most its life, its an NTSCJ model. I have ceramic coated the exterior now to hopefully protect it from any more UV damage. Just have to wait and wait patiently for the perfect one lol

mR_CaESaR likes this.
  16. flain

flain Member

Ive got a darksoft kit on preorder (they tend to do runs of them from time to time). I got lucky on the A+B board was $300 for both together a lot of auctions have the single boards separate for a lot more.

All up $600 + shipping. Got lucky with an Aussie seller so shipping was fast and since both were from the same seller he knew what I was trying to do and sorted out the correct firmware for me too :). He even left a note in the package with his mobile number to call if any issues! :)

mR_CaESaR likes this.
  17. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Yeah unfortunately the prices of just the game board is in the 300+ range..

I think groovymame will work for now

That's not bad! What are you putting it in?

For me to get a Naomi system, I need to upgrade my psu from the astro city to something Naomi compatible. I had a look at the NVS4000 and it's waaaaaay out of the price bracket

18. flain

flain Member

I'm currently waiting on a Arcadeworx flat pack that i'm building for a Neo Geo dedicated cabinet, so depending on how that turns out and how cool it looks i might use them again. I have 3 dedicated cabs planned, neo geo is first off the rank, cps2 and naomi dedicated will be next. I'm always on the lookout for deals on the stuff i need. The arcadeworx is an upright that's been customized with neo geo cutouts and the right button configuration, ETA for delivery is about another week. I'm itching to put all the components in :).

Vanne likes this.
  19. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Ahh, good old Arcadeworx... I've moved on from their setup to original cabs now :)

Went from an MDF vewlix to a chinese vewlix.. went from a bartop (horiztonal and vertical) to astro city cabs..

20. callan

callan Member

in the end I ordered some cartridge cases from thefuturewas8bit. I hate cannablizing things from retro computers- it's anathema to my makeup.

Callan