Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It's not normally my thing but I must admit that's a nice looking heatsink. :thumbup:

It's a shame back then that there weren't many cases to show off a card like that. Plenty of windowed cases but I don't think many had a riser mounting so you could see it side on. These days it's the opposite, plenty of cases but the heatsink designs can be pretty boring. They are not as "out there" and colourful as they were during that period.

2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Ordered a couple of IC's from Utsource.net and to make it worthwhile I decided to start a little 8088 collection. I did actually need a couple for testing but being that they are just so cheap and easily available I couldn't resist grabbing the others.

Click to view full size!

Might grab a few 8087's next time I'm shopping. :)

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Don't know if you know this but Utsource has a notorious reputation for selling fake semis and IC's. They also send fakes amongst maybe 1 or 2 genuine new or pulls in bulk orders.

Just a buyer beware heads up.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Yeah I've heard many stories like that before. They are essentially just a broker so what they provide is only as good as who they source it from and how well they check it. I only really use them very occasionally to source odd obsolete components of which there is no new replacement for. My first port of call is always local through either RS Online or Element14 or one of the smaller places like Wagner Online who on occasion stock old parts.

In saying that I've never had a problem with the parts I've received including these. This is only my second ever order through them (last one was at least a year ago) and I've always made sure I'm getting them from Utsource directly not one of the 3rd party sellers they have listed. I like to think I'm at least minimising the risk a little doing that and from a very small sample so far it's worked out for me.

Matthew kane likes this.
  5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yeh, I remember being burned by ordering 400+ various TO3 based NPN and PNP complimentary output and driver stage transistors which most turned out to be fake Onsemi's. After that I stopped buying from them altogether once I got a refund.

There are a couple small online retailers in Germany and Netherlands that sell NOS hard to get semis and IC's for low $. Might be handy to somebody in the retro forums.

Will throw a couple links here when I get the time to go through my bookmarks.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Another illegal firearm buy back.
    I think I'll upgrade the trigger switch in this gun.

IMG_20190113_135206.jpg

7. FromPaul

FromPaul Member

Just bought an Infini Key CPS2, have one dead battery board I want to try it on, haven't looked at the board in 2 years but now its got my interest again.

Saw Elvis mentioned it in the retro activity thread and found out there's a local distributor for it, so no brainer really.

https://sneeknet.io/index.php/product/ud-infinikey-cps2/

nimmers and elvis like this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

lol cant believe this fits in Retro, but as the Xbox 360 is now 14 years old... it well and truely qualifies...

Bought my 3rd Xbox 360 yesterday, amazing little boxes really. Ive been trying to collect the "Must play Xbox360 games" , and have a few so far. Obviously the Halo and Gears series, but also a few shining examples like Titanfall and such. My newest Xbox 360 has an issue with it , either the xbox itself is overheating or the Power brick has issues.. trying to see if i can pin down which it is.
    Bought a new PSU from eGay and waiting for it to arrive. Sadly, this latest xbox isnt power compatible with my other 2.

Lol.. probably means the PS3 is also on the retro list now... (though i only have one of those, a mint white one from the US i bought on release)

I have decided to keep my Console/game and Pc/game collection at this generation. The later stuff is just rehashed crap from the ealier consoles anyways, that and stuff is getting to expensive/space prohibitive.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

chuck your 360 and get an XB1, you get a huge slice of the 360 library and the og xbox as well. also the box itself is much quieter and the games run better.

Vanne and Matthew kane like this.
  10. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Picked up a namco Jogcon for shits and giggles
    Also grabbed ridge racer 4 and another copy of overboard (missing my original overboard along with my original wipeout and kula world) for $25.

Coincidentally, I own 50% of games that ever used the jogcon:
    Ridge Racer 4, and Ridge Racer 5. Leaving me to get: V-Rally 2, and breakout. I can’t imagine they’ll be expensive so they’re next on the list.

11. matz

matz Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Vanne, JidaiGeki and Flamin Joe like this.
  12. bYrd

bYrd Member

Was walking the dog and found ...

- Desktop case (which is why I got it, but case is horribly cheap and home respray so that'll go), inside Intel branded i815 motherboard + Coppermine 1Ghz Pentium III, and some Deathstar HDs! :) Have been keen to try a 133FSB CPU in my BX motherboard, so delighted with this find

- PSone console (the small one), 2 x controllers and Gran Turismo 2 CD inside; fired it up and sound is fine but the video very dark/flickering on my PAL LCD TV. Could be a modified console ... outputting to NTSC ... dodgy modchip? Tried known good AV cables. I can't find anything online about common video faults with PSone console, I'll open it up for anything obvious but unsure how to progress with it. Did some modchips come with a boot CD to change settings?

Vanne, FIREWIRE1394 and adz like this.
  13. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Be a small wonder if the deathstars work!

14. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Negcon > Jogcon.

Jogcon is an interesting novelty though.
    I have RR4, RR5 and V-Rally 2.

V-Rally 2 has pretty atrocious scenery pop in at times but I still loved the shit out of it. I remember using the track editor to make a straight line point to point track as long as the game would allow then making the lowest elevation I could at the end with a peaked jump before the massive drop. Then tweak the car config for max speed (long gear ratio/hard suspension/low as it would go etc) then LAUNCH! :D

Vanne and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

Just bought a 2nd Tyan S2885 mobo, this one is in great nick with no bulging caps. Cost me about 100US, but includes a nice SB card and usb2 card. The CPU's are shit, but I have the 275's anyways. It's such a nice mobo I thought it would be cheaper to replace the whole thing than to have downtime on it while I re-cap the other one.

Here she is...

[​IMG]

adz and matz like this.
  16. Spearchucka

Spearchucka Member

Can't say I ever saw one in all the years I modded these. More likely a generic problem, like loose a/v connector or a bad cap. My 2 cents worth.

17. bYrd

bYrd Member

I've cracked it open and done the usual checks/probes on components, connectors etc with the system running - no improvement. Console looks hardly used. It has a mod chip which looks like it has been properly installed, but I think I might disconnect this to see if that solves things.

18. Vanne

Vanne Member

Won an action for a C128D today.. yah, have been trawling for one of these for ages and ages...

[​IMG]
    And I just heard my mate is dropping back my release model A500 and monitor that I lent his dad about 13 years ago. Good bloke my mates dad. ;)

adz, flain, JidaiGeki and 3 others like this.
  19. matz

matz Member

A couple more IBM machines to add to the collection and an ever growing project list. I've been hunting the JX for a while now, now just need the PCJr!

[​IMG]

And a SIM tester for the hordes of 30-pin SIMM's I've lying around.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Flamin Joe, adz and bYrd like this.
  20. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Ouch, that keyboard is hurting.
    It should have Alps green under the main switches.