Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. matz

matz Member

Fortunately, I've got a spare keyboard.

2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Beat you to it. :p

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IBM-PCj...rd-and-power-supplies-bad-floppy/202562512422

Arrived earlier this week and I have the original CRT on it's way which should be here in a week or so. I'll post photos when it's all together.

I'll have a spare keyboard from it if you eventually need one, possibly other spares too as I'm not sure if I'll keep all the sidecars. From a quick inspection the non working keyboard looks to just have corroded battery terminals from leaking batteries so it should be an easy fix.

Found no issues with the floppy drive so the seller must of just had bad floppies. Only issue I have found so far is the 128k memory sidecar expansion isn't working which I suspected was the case from seeing the listing with only 128k memory counted at post. Should be an easy fix as there is not much to it component wise.

Loving the uniqueness/quirkiness of this machine and can't wait to see it with the CRT! Would post some pics of it now of the unit but I'm spending the long weekend on the coast.

3. matz

matz Member

Nice, look forward to the Pics! Hope the CRT arrives in good shape, I'm always wary of shipping anything substantial from the US. Have to start hunting more seriously now.

4. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

I have an expansion unit for this to let you test 72 pin RAM if you're interested..

5. matz

matz Member

I've got the SIMCHECK II which does 72 pin but if your not using the expansion it's always good to have spares, PM me with your asking price.

6. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

After nearly a decade rocking a 775 quad system, I upgraded the in-laws PC to a AMD A10-7850k system. Which means I get my old PC back... :D

Was a nice system in the day, with a XFX 780i motherboard, a Q6600 running at 3GHz, a Xigmatek Red Scorpion HSF, 8GB of DDR2, a Nvidia 9800GT, and a 150GB WD Raptor. Case is an Antec 900.
    I had it with two GTX 275 GPUs in SLI, before swapping to a single PCB GTX 295. Want to recreate an SLI system, probably with Nvidia 7900 cards though.

For the PSU zealots out there, the PSU running the show for most of the time came included with a Coolermaster case - very entry level. Survived fine, but I'll swap it out for something a little better... :lol:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Flamin Joe and adz like this.
  7. badmofo

badmofo Member

How excellent to get an old friend back, I hope they treated it right.

My 150GB Rapter was killed years ago during a PSU incident and I'm still devastated, what a classic drive.

8. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Other than being full of dust (ahhh, the original Antec 900), it's in great shape.

Unfortunately the caddy holding the Raptor managed to slide out when I was taking other drives out. Hopefully the Raptor survived the slight drop.

It's actually a WD recertified drive, being repaired under warranty at a few years old. I was convinced the recertified drives were crap so bought a new one... And relegated this to a boot drive for the in-laws.

9. mmBax

mmBax Member

I got myself the Kogan 34" UWA.

I was looking at the Samsung but couldn't really justify the 1000 bucks. The Kogan one was only 580, 100Hz, 1440p.
    It's pretty decent, Samsung panel, very minimal light bleed, 1 stuck pixel that seems to have freed itself, some dirt or other blemish that's behind the coating but not on the pixels (behind the taskbar)

I'll get a pic when my desk is clean. I was pretty tired of my 27" and a 19" in vertical next to it.

10. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I've still got my first generation 36GB Raptor which last time I checked was still working. Every other drive I've ever owned over the years has either been sold or thrown out yet this drive has remained so I guess I've got a bit of soft spot for it. :)

adz likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i have a couple of 74's if and when i do a retro build i want to put these in - maximum noise and heat generation is what retro computing is all about! Mind you the FOP38's are louder.

12. adz

adz Member

As do I, at the time, I wanted a 2nd so I could go RAID0 on my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, it's a great drive that is still going strong :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

haha, my 74's were in a RAID 0 and yes it was quick.

adz likes this.
  14. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Any tips where to get a replacement window at a modest price?

15. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Do you have one with a broken window? I think you'd have to try and get some perspex cut up.

Luckily the window on this is basically as new, with only one tiny scratch. :D

16. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

That's the exact same motherboard I had at the time. :thumbup: I think everyone wanted them in RAID0 that was the dream setup. :leet:

adz likes this.
  17. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

18. shane41

shane41 Member

WuZMoT and cdtoaster like this.
  19. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Much to my relief it arrived today safe and sound! Seller did a fantastic job of placing it in not only a nice big box but used a tonne of thick bubble wrap so it had plenty of insulation.

No cracks, no scratches and it doesn't sound like anything is loose inside. I think unlike the 51xx series, the 4863 appears to be more rigid and less prone to transit damage due to it's more "standard CRT looking" design if you know what I mean. Not so rounded like the 51xx series.

Wasn't expecting it so soon at work so I didn't bring in my step down transformer to at least double check that it still powers up so just the one photo for now. Can't wait to get it home and fire up the PCjr!

Click to view full size!

matz and adz like this.
  20. matz

matz Member

Awesome, I'm on the hunt now, shipping from the US is a killer with these.