Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

2. rugger

rugger Member

Item i, ET4000AX video card. Awesome cards for DOS performance. Not much better for ISA.
    IMG_0022.JPG

Item j, a couple of Trident cards. Crap cards, but good for benchmarking
    IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPG

Item k, ET4000AX VLB, unusual card this, ussually they have a ET4000AX/W32i or something on them.
    IMG_0023.JPG

Item l, Nvidia Geforce 6600GT AGP, with custom cooler that I partially cut and forced on :) Needs a good clean:
    IMG_0026.JPG

Still have RAM, the intel network cards and SB 2.0 photos to go

Flamin Joe and adz like this.
  3. rugger

rugger Member

It probably can, but not worried about that at the moment. This board will likely go into my 486DX2-66 system and replace a bit of an underperforming board.

4. rugger

rugger Member

Item m, 16 lots of 1 megabyte 30 pin chips. Always useful!
    IMG_0027.JPG

Item n, 4 lots of 4 megabyte 30pin chips. These are actually pretty expensive on ebay.
    IMG_0028.JPG

Item o, Sound blaster 2.0. Non PNP sound cards are quite rare and useful for very old computers
    IMG_0030.JPG

Item q, one of the many Intel ISA network cards. I wonder how good they are, if their packet drivers are fast and windows drivers stable, and if they will happily present their ROM (for use with XT-IDE mostly). I wonder if these ROM chips are re-programmable, would save me some money from RS-online :)
    IMG_0029.JPG

There are other items, but they need cleaning/sorting.

Flamin Joe and adz like this.
  5. matz

matz Member

IBM PCJr !!!!!!

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, some damage sustained to the monitor in transit, I may be able to repair the crack but will have to remove the tube most likely. The picture also appears to shake slightly, so not sure what's going on there. EDIT: The external power brick was too close to the monitor, as soon as I moved it away no more shakes!

[​IMG]

Unfortunately my Stepdown Transformer only has 2 outputs and I need 3 (Main Unit, Sidecar Expansion, Monitor), but by powering the main unit and expansion using composite out I was able to confirm the expansion also works and the full 640K is present!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. matz

matz Member

In other news, I pulled the trigger on a Unicomp Ultra Classic Buckling Spring USB keyboard. Can't say I'm impressed the build quality is.....average at best. Look at the molding marks left on those keys! Doesn't come close to the build quality of the Model M. If you're thinking of getting one I wouldn't bother.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  7. badmofo

badmofo Member

That Unicomp has a windows key at least! That does bother me when using my model M I'm ashamed to admit.

8. matz

matz Member

I also got a soarers convertor recently, it does remapping, I'm assuming that means you could map another key to the windows key? Haven't tried remapping, but I've tried a few model F's and M's with it and it works great.

9. adz

adz Member

Strange as mine doesn't appear to look anything like that, yeah you can see the odd molding mark, but nothing like that.

10. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Awesome stuff!

You should look at getting one of these if they are still available to power the Pcjr unit. That will at least eliminate the need for one power adapter.

https://akbkuku.com/store/p/1/IBM-PCjr-ATX-Power-Supply-Adapter/

I brought one when they first came available last year when I was first thinking about buying one. I've now got the unit running off a 80W Picopsu with a 12v power adaptor and runs great.

11. matz

matz Member

My sense from reading various reviews is that their build quality is steadily declining. They may not have the capital or motivation to invest in replacing the original machinery and moulds etc, so as thing wear out, tolerances and quality deteriorate. I can almost twist that keyboard in half, the plastics and base plate are not very sturdy. I'll do a tear-down when I get some time.

12. matz

matz Member

Thanks & done! I'll also look into the possibility of modding the 4863 to 240V. Was the PC JR ever released in Australia?

13. adz

adz Member

I had read something like that myself, I guess I must have got a board from old stock as mine is pretty rock solid, nowhere near a proper M, but still very decent nonetheless. It's a real shame that the quality is declining, but I guess the mech keyboard market has become somewhat ruthless.

14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

No the PCjr was just limited to the USA only. We got the IBM JX which was based off the PCjr but then that was only limited to Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

Modding the 4863 to 240V should be quite doable. I haven't opened mine up and have no plans to do so but I've read the 4863's circuitry appears to the be the same as the 5153 according to the TechWiki on Console 5. I know of a guy in NZ who has done the 110V to 240V mod on a 5153 here over at the Vintage Computer Forums and this here is the internal PSU he mentioned he used on eBay.

15. adz

adz Member

I may or may not have bought another keyboard...

I found this on eBay earlier today, I may have paid a little too much but the switches are the next best thing to Alps SKCM Blue and the keycaps are nice doubleshots, I just hope the switches are clean inside, I don't think servicing each switch would be much fun :tongue:

16. matz

matz Member

Looks good to me, it's worth what you're willing to pay for it! I've got both SKCM Blue and White switches, can't really tell the difference.

adz likes this.
  17. hutts24

hutts24 Member

If the ROM chips have 32 pins on them, then there is a good chance they are electrically reprogrammable and you can probably even use the card to do it to. Remove the sticker if you're feeling bold and you should find model markings on it, or they may be on the underside of the chip. I've been stuffing around a lot with iPXE and different network card ROMS lately and bought one of those funky TK866+ programmers.

18. rugger

rugger Member

They are 32 pin Intel ROMs, and are programmable, but not in the card.

I've already tested the card with the Atmel 28C64 EEPROMs I normally use for XT-IDE, but system will not boot with the Atmel ROM. Unfortunately, while I have an XT-IDE card to program the Atmel ROMs, I don't have a programmer for the Intel ROMs. I do intend to buy one though, I have like 8 of these ISA cards and they are probably better than the NE2000 type cards I have been using.

19. matz

matz Member

Got another complete JX, keyboard isn't in this pic but it came with it. No idea if it works or not, sitting in a friends garage in QLD currently. I have a bad tendency of buying two of everything for spares etc.

[​IMG]

power, rugger, Flamin Joe and 4 others like this.
  20. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Does this count?

[​IMG]