Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

I think the mags have moved here: http://kiwis.world/index.php
    However, you now need to contribute content (or funds) to become a member and download the scans. Seeing as DVDs of the free scans were being sold by randoms on eBay I can understand the change.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Personal philosophy, but I don't agree on hiding that stuff behind paywalls or making it a closed community (*ESPECIALLY* when they don't own the content, as it was created by someone else decades ago).

I get that some people can be gits about it. But slap it up on archive.org and let the world know about it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Flamin Joe likes this.
  3. nic55

nic55 Member

PsychoticOrc and elvis like this.
  4. Spearchucka

Spearchucka Member

Thanks for that. 29gig!

5. adz

adz Member

And it lives!

[​IMG]

I'm using it to type this message via a AT-PS/2 adapter plugged into a PS/2 to USB adapter :leet:

Key feel is really nice, keys don't seem to bind at all which means that despite the yellowing, the switches themselves must be pretty clean. I've always loved Cherry MX Blue's however having used these, I think I have a new favourite, they even feel better than buckling springs :shock:

/invariance\ and badmofo like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

installed this into the A500 last night.

upload_2019-3-5_9-24-34.png

next stop is a shiny new gotek for the external enclosure (went all out and ordered one with a rotary dial and OLED display) and then i'll be working on getting my Impact A500 HD8+ Series II fully working.

It's so weird to have a device for a computer I've owned for close to 30 years that is a bit of a mystery.

It has got RAM in it and a HDD can't remember the capacity but I think it had Workbench 2 on it, so will have to track down the utilities to initialise it and make it all bootable.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Vanne, Flamin Joe, adz and 1 other person like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

all bits rolled in on Friday, it was like Amiga Christmas!

upload_2019-3-25_9-28-42.png

upload_2019-3-25_9-28-59.png

upload_2019-3-25_9-33-38.png

my helper

upload_2019-3-25_9-29-36.png

upload_2019-3-25_9-30-30.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    elvis, cyanpixie, adz and 4 others like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

My 8MB arrived for the GVP HD8+ seeing that much free RAM in Workbench is super geeky if completely pointeless, haha.

Next I reckon a CF card is in order as goddam is that thing loud. The fan and the old SCSI HDD are just terrible to listen to.

Then I'll have to get Workbench 1.3 installed on it. I must admit I keep getting distracted by the ease of loading games from the GoTeK and before I know it I haven't done anything. Story of my life.

Vanne and adz like this.
  9. xsive

xsive Member

I decided to take a walk over lunch and stumbled across a Forefront ECM-5400 monitor set out for hard waste collection (along with 3 other decidedly less interesting 90s-era VGA CRTs). As far as I can tell, it's a 9pin RBGI monitor. No clues online about the manufacturer and no production date. I'm guessing early to mid 80s vintage. No idea if it works. It looked cool so I hauled it all the way back to the office. I couldn't sneak it in without answering some awkward questions though! :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flamin Joe, JidaiGeki and elvis like this.
  10. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

It's EGA, so pretty hard to find! Looks to be complete and in good condition so should clean up nicely.

90s VGA CRTs are getting rare too though - any chance of pics/location? :D

11. xsive

xsive Member

I'll swing by tomorrow and take some photos for you. From memory, one was a HP the other an Osborne (circa '95) and a third whose make I cannot recall. None looked very special to my eye (they all looked like fishbowl screens) but then again, I don't really chase VGA CRTs!

12. xsive

xsive Member

Here are the photos of the VGA monitors. I was surprised at how nice the Osborne monitor looks. Not the fishbowl I first thought! Sadly the cables of all three have been cut, so they're going to need at least _some_ work before they'll display anything again. BTW, the "Prodigy" branded screen is actually manufactured by AOC, according to the sticker at the back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PM me if you're interested in the address.

13. xsive

xsive Member

In other news! When I went back to take the photos I noticed some new "trash" on the kerb. Disassembled into 3 different bits was a desktop case with
    (1) a 386dx40 + board and 4MB ram
    (2) a 200w (110/220V!) power supply and a set of expansion cards (I think two IO cards and what's most likely the EGA card that drove the monitor I posted about yesterday)
    (3) a front panel with a 5.25" and 3.5" drive.

It looks like someone had a go at the thing before deciding it wasn't worth the trouble: the case is bent in a couple of place and various pins on various things are bent. As far as I can tell though, all still intact. I had to make two trips to carry it back to the office, each time with my hands full of old dirty electronics gear, looking for all the world like a crazy homeless man :S

Anyway, I feel like an idiot for not asking the owner, whom I checked with yesterday before I took the screen, if they still had the machine to go with it!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  14. elvis

A reminder that, thanks to the ultra fine dot pitch of PC VGA monitors, one of those connected to a OSSC or RetroTink-2X with a cheap HDI-to-VGA converter gives you lag-free analogue console gaming with a picture quality rivalling a Sony PVM. The only downside is the doublescanning (2 scanlines for every 1 of the original).

But if you can't stomach the asking price for PVMs and BVMs at the moment (and I don't blame you, it's ridiculous), a VGA monitor is an excellent alternative, coupled with a scaler.

The retro community on Reddit/YouTube hasn't caught on to that yet, but they will soon. So get yourself one before they all vanish and end up on eBay for $500 each.

15. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

REALLY???

Might be worth investing in an OSSC from Aliexpress and look for a Sony Trinitron or something.

16. elvis

Yes, really. PC monitors, even cheap ones, were miles ahead of domestic televisions for dot pitch (aka "sharpness").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

A Sony PVM was not much more than a SVGA monitor hooked up to take a regular video signal. Plug RGB into a Sony PVM, and it's more or less an SVGA monitor.

I have a HP 21" pro SVGA monitor, which is a rebadged Sony Trinitron. I had some Dell ones as well but STUPIDLY gave them away years ago (and STUPIDLY didn't take them back when the person offered them back to me). But all of these easily match my PVMs for picture quality. All of them also have both RGB gain and bias controls, so doing colour calibration on them results in colour temperatures that are far more accurate than modern gaming LCDs.

If you have an SVGA monitor that is capable of resolutions like 1600x1200 @60Hz, these look absolutely stunning at 480p.

Take YPbPr 240p into a RetroTink-2X, or RGB into an OSSC, put output resolution at 480p, connect up a lag-free HMDI to VGA converter (often the cheaper ones are better, as they're a pure DAC which don't scale anything, which is exactly what you want) the resulting picture is fantastic.

I bought one of these:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDMI-Input-to-YPbPr-Component-Video-VGA-Out-Digital-SPDIF-RCA-Audio-HD/181579538610?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I use it mostly for plugging in HDMI out from a PC into either a 16:9 480p YPbPr TV, or several 4:3 VGA monitors I have (a vairety of PC CRTs, CRT TVs, and arcade monitors that all take VGA). It's just a DAC, offers no scaling (whatever the input is determines the output resolution and refresh).

You can plug one into anything else with HDMI out, including any scaler you like from an old console.

I've mentioned this before in the retro display FAQ. And I say again: if you want a PVM but don't want to pay PVM prices, try this out before it ends up on an episode of Retro RGB and prices skyrocket.

The only downside is interlacing. If you want a 100% lag-free picture, and you upscale 480i through a RetroTink-2X or OSSC without deinterlacing, it'll look like arse IMHO. 240p to 480p looks amazing. So 8 and 16 bit consoles work a treat. Once you get into N64 or PS2 era stuff, not so great. You can turn on the OSSC's deinterlacer (the RetroTink-2X doesn't have one), but you'll get a frame of lag as a result.

MiSTer as well offers a scandoubled rate straight out of the VGA port, which does exactly what an OSSC/RetroTink2-X does to 240p video internally for most cores. So again, perfect modelines, no lag, and 480p output at PVM quality to a cheap SVGA monitor.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Vanne and mR_CaESaR like this.
  17. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Thanks! I'll definitely look into this a lot more.. but I'm just an "arcade" guy and if I want to get the consoles working, it's usually in 240p..

I'm hoping to change that to 31khz 480p very soon though.

However, I can easily be swayed :D :D

I'm sure I've got one of those from Jaycar, I don't think it worked too well as it shifted the image to right IIRC - I'll check it out again.

I do have a HD Fury which pretty much does the same thing I think?

18. Camm

Camm Member

Yeah... I'm going to contribute to that soon when I sell the second D24 I have in the near future. Unfortunately the damn things cost me a mint in the first place, so I'm not going to apologise for recovering costs... but damn, makes me wish I got into this shit a decade earlier.

19. elvis

Phase shift can get a bit annoying. Usually you can adjust that monitor-side, but sometimes it's not far enough.

In professional broadcast, there are boxes you can put inline with your analogue signals to shift the image left and right by manipulating the clock signals inline. I haven't been able to find any for cheap, and I can't find any documentation on how to make one. Would be super useful in this hobby to have something like that, where monitor controls for picture position and overscan are lacking.

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah i've got a barely used black Dell 19" monitor that i want to setup for my retro gear. Yes, it's a Trinitron.