Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. iMic

iMic Member

It must be CRT monitor week. Found this Sony Trinitron Multiscan GDM-400PS on the kerbside near work yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've already disassembled, cleaned and tested it. It works, but the picture seems a bit dim. Sharpness and colour otherwise seem fine. I'll recheck the G2 adjustments and connections at the neck, or perhaps the tube itself could be worn out, but I don't have access to a tester to verify it.

I had one of those Forefront monitors, rebranded by Micro Byte Systems. Fantastic little EGA monitor. It was probably my favourite part of the entire system, great picture and a nice case design as well.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/micro-byte-pc230.1238050/

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    adz and elvis like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Every week is (or at least should be) CRT week.

3. elvis

I took this to the retro display thread. Some photos there from my shitty phone camera.
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18168723/

4. Vanne

Vanne Member

I had 2 beautiful illyama 21 inch svga monitors, that sadly got turfed into council cleanup when I left home. :(

I also had 2 SGI Gray Sony monitors.. those puppies were big, but the picture quality was awesome, sadly enough they needed SOG to power up. But yeah they were nice tubes.. also gone the way if the ol council cleanup. :( Much to my octanes demise...

5. xsive

xsive Member

Photos time! Here's the 386 machine I rescued earlier today. As you will see, it's in pieces, but all the bits seem to be there. I noticed the motherboard comes with a Math coprocessor too, which I think were uncommon for such systems?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dang, what a beauty. BNC connectors too! I had some 15" lesser variant back in the day but the picture quality was still very nice. I got rid of it after Gateway went out of business and the entire forum here were fighting to buy their 21" screens during clearance. That too went to the kerb about a decade ago :(

Oh, neat! I love all the photos. That case especially looks pretty cool. I'm looking forward to try my rescued monitor out once I have a go at restoring the machine. I powered it up tonight and it seems to go fine.

Vanne likes this.
  6. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Ooh, EGA methinks?

7. iMic

iMic Member

Those old 386 era systems are awesome, hopefully you should be able to revive it. I'm assuming the case isn't meant to be in several pieces, does it just screw together or does it need to be joined / riveted? Also the third card along, I'm guessing that's the EGA video card, and those two RCA connectors are composite out?

Of course that Varta barrel battery will need to come off as well, but surprisingly even that looks pretty good still. Great score if only for the board and cards alone, I'd say.

The PC230 case? It looked cool, but it wasn't that well made. If the components weren't installed in just the right order, sometimes things wouldn't fit properly, usually because some bracket was a millimetre too far over, or wasn't bending far enough when tightened down. Ended up selling it to another collector, who I think may have sold it on again afterward. It's a weird machine though, an IBM compatible with a case design and power supply arrangement closer to an Apple II, and manufactured in Adelaide as well.

Someone on Reddit suggested cleaning the Sony's neck connector as a possible solution to the brightness issue, and it seems to have worked. It's perfectly usable at around 50-60% brightness now, where it needed to sit around 90% before.

[​IMG]

8. r4n

r4n Member

Just bought a Toshiba 320CDT off eBay

Pentium mmx 233, 32MB, 12.1” TFT and an sbpro OPL3 compact sound card!

Hoping I can get it to run for some dos gaming goodness. It fills the gap between my modern machine and my 98-XP build

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Whats an Atrai 2600 with 8 games worth? Spotted one at the tip shop for $120, but wasnt fully tested.

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

depends on the version of the unit, the games included, condition and if anything is boxed.

11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

None of it is boxed, but condition looked OK. I did see a bunch of boxed games at another tip shop that were in good nick. Not really up to date with Atari gear.

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

what games, what model of 2600?

13. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

This is for sale near me for $550. Kinda tempted, although it would really only be for the cabinet/monitor, not particularly interested in Rambo III.

Attached Files:

14. flain

flain Member

Nice, much better value than those arcade 1ups and has a real CRT, just looks like it needs a clean :). Rambo III should be JAMMA so putting another board in should be pretty easy.

15. elvis

Not a bad price for a working setup. Monitor looks bright, but you'd have to check in person for burn in and convergence.

You could probably recoup a bit by selling the board, and invest that into a MiSTer.

16. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

I've got the Street Fighter one of those, but picked it up for $199 so not too fussed. Again on the todo list was to add more games/mod it, but depending on this cabinet I may just leave that.

Yeah, will start a new thread here if I buy it. Making the massive trek 300m down the road to have a squiz tomorrow.

That was my plan (at least to sell the board and replace with something) but I feel the control panel may need some work.

I'd originally had an ArcadeWorx flatpack on the wishlist, but.... why not both!

17. flain

flain Member

If i were you id go grab it from down the road, you'll have something up and running way quicker than building an Arcadeworx cab :)

TheWedgie likes this.
  18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I reckon most of the value is in the tube. If that looks good it's a good buy. Assuming it's a comfortable cabinet configuration and you have a plan.

19. flain

flain Member

Yeah the tube looks good (from the limited pic), but also it's a nice little cab i'm sure would clean up well just wiping it down. Swapping the sticks and buttons would be pretty easy to do (if desired) and it should have a jamma harness in it already and an arcade PSU ready to go.

TheWedgie likes this.
  20. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I picked up a PSone with a pair of controllers and memory card tonight. The gumtree seller had a fat PS2 + 4 controllers as well. A mate from work wanted a PS2 freeMCboot setup so I grabbed that for him.

PSone laser and audio output appears to be working fine but video image/colors are unstable. the PS2 boots/displays fine but 2 controllers have issues.

Somewhat annoyed about the PSone. I accept the perils of purchasing 15+ year old technology but don't tell me you tested it and it's working when you clearly didn't. My fault for not asking to see it working I suppose but still... Fucking SCUMtree.

I tore it down and the PCB appears to be in good shape, hit the AV multi-out with electronic solvent cleaner. I left it on for a while and the image is much more stable (still not perfect) and the colors are still off. Image appears generally dim except Red is overbright

elvis likes this.