Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Sync was stable enough that it would display on an LCD. Left it on a demo loop overnight and color has improved a little but now has jailbars.

turned it off and it cooled down and now it's back to not syncing on an LCD and looking about the same as it did last night.

Issue is presumably composite sync (unstable picture and lack of green), anyone think since warmth makes it clear up somewhat that cap replacement would fix this? or is it likely to be a connector issue and need a reflow?

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Are you able to test RGB?

PSX spits out native RGB, which then goes through a Sony CXA video encoder chip (similar to Megadrive / Master System) to be encoded into other signals.

RGB also goes through that chip, but just to be buffered/amplified from memory. If CVBS/S-video is gross but RGB is good, it could be that chip (easy to replace). If everything sucks, it could be a bad trace or need a reflow.

The fact that it came good after a bit of warming up suggests it's a physical problem (board warms up, expands, something somewhere makes better contact). Maybe the original owner had it sitting somewhere hot for long periods of time (I've seen people leave consoles on, games paused, for days on end in hot cupboards under TV sets, and it makes me mad).

3. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Unfortunately no way to test RGB.

I found this video while investigating

A lengthy comment on that video suggests the 220uF 4V SMD caps "C550" and "C551" on the board are a common failing point in the PSone. I've ordered a 10 pack off ebay for $2. It's only two surface mount caps so I'll pick up the soldering iron once again as I SHOULD be able to manage that. Will see if that fixes it.

Pics attached out of interest, I figured Crash was a good reference point, It's actually a lot darker than it looks in the photo.
    IMG_20190406_122004.jpg IMG_20190406_122941.jpg

elvis likes this.
  4. Vanne

Vanne Member

I just bought a few things for my 2600 collection. Some of these I've been after for a long time. Sadly when your tracking games, you inevitably come across games you used to own and lost/sold/stolen along the way. This was the case for me yesterday. I used to own "Frankenstein's monster", which got stolen at my Xgf house a long while ago, before retro was cool. :( Cool game, awesome box and instructions manual. Anyways... Lol I got these as I've always wanted to play them, not because of rarity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loved this game as a kid. I also bought this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bought a few more, ET, BattleZone, Jungle Hunt and this classic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty happy with my haul.. :)

adz and Flamin Joe like this.
  5. Vanne

Vanne Member

Also grabbed this in the process..

[​IMG]
    Best commercial joystick ever..
    (Not including homemade arcade sticks)

TheWedgie and WuZMoT like this.
  6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

haha looks sporty

EDIT: Ferrari F40-esque

Vanne likes this.
  7. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Oh man, I used to have one of those... absolutely fantastic.

Vanne likes this.
  8. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Picked up a spare 68CM tube. Free from a mate at work. Surprise Svideo on the side that I didn't know it had from initial pictures.

2019-04-06.png

9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

not having much luck this weekend, component input doesn't work. At least it was $0 and only collected as a potential spare... my poor back though.

UPDATE: Component input working after running for a while, audio volume low on right speaker and left speaker not working. Svideo works completely though. Hopefully a bit of use fully wakes the poor old thing from its long sleep.

UPDATE2: component shares input channel with svideo, disconnected the svideos RCA jacks and volume was restored for component. Also cleaned up the remote (batteries left in it leaked bad and made it difficult to even get the battery cover off) REMOTE WORKS!
    got in to service menu and fixed V-position... YES!!!

6654383628458565692.jpg 6681432124030473609.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  10. elvis

Old CRTs do need a bit of a warm up if they're still on original components internally. Additionally, dust, spiderwebs and other stuff can build up on the tube, and literally need to be burned off if the unit has been doing nothing for a long time.

Looks like quite a few video adjust options there, which is definitely what you want. I've got a beautiful 30" CRT which looks great, but has zero picture adjustment which is frustrating.

11. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I pulled the back off and hit the circuits with my air compressor before moving it inside, I didn't give the circuits a brush at all but anything loose enough to be blown away was gone. My main motive was to clear the dust out of the vents from the inside out rather than just push/blow it into the chassis. When I first turned it on it made a few little crack noises from time to time and the tube shook - this happened maybe 3 - 5 times that i witnessed and ceased after that. Maybe that was the tube "cleaning" itself as you mentioned :D

The Samsung service menu is almost as simple as its regular settings menu with obvious setting labels and using channel up/down to select and volume up/down to adjust. Comparatively I'm sure you know damn well what a Sony service menu is like.

I still have the housing for the Sony but I don't think there's any benefit in swapping them out, particularly considering the effort involved. The slight imperfections of the Sony kinda suit the 20+ year old cabinet imperfections. It's also behind tempered glass that's riddled with fine scratches anyway.

12. elvis

Some TVs have a secret service menu that's available via a complex input sequence from the remote. Google your model number to see what turns up.

My big 30" TV is a generic Chinese model, so who the hell knows what the service menu is for that one. No way to find out, as it's 8 levels of OEM deep as to what the original manufacturer is (I've even googled every single brand/number on the various PCBs and chassis inside with no luck).

A good name-brand line Samsung is often easy to find the service menus for.

All of this reminds me I need to recap the boards on both my Loewe and Mitsubishi TVs sitting in the shed. They should be superb. Just need the time. :(

13. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I did something similar trying to get into the service menu of the NEC, trying to figure out what the remote combo might have been based on the controller on the board etc with no luck.
    In any case it doesn't power on properly and is an extra set of hands away from the electronics graveyard at the local refuse.

14. iMic

iMic Member

Found this at work over the weekend-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lid, top case and bottom case all cracked in at least six places. Seems to be a theme around here.

No power adapter - still looking - so who knows if it works. Seems to be a Celeron, Windows ME era, around 500MHz perhaps.

Anyone know if these are any good, or possibly worth fixing? So far my current idea is to take the machine apart and glue everything back together with the strongest ABS/PC/PP adhesive I have. Even so, I may end up passing it on to another retro collector.

Vanne and adz like this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

My "Raiders of the lost Ark" tape rolled up today :D

love those old skool tellies.. gonna see if i can hunt one down.

16. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

After busting out a beanbag for testing it and clocking a few levels in Tony Hawks 3 on PS2 It might actually end up being a secondary setup for consoles. It will ultimately be a tube donor for the arcade cabinet but that doesn't mean it can't live its own life in the meantime :)

Vanne likes this.
  17. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Not exactly retro gear, but for retro purposes. ;)

Picked up one of the discontinued 8bitdo SF30 Pro controllers and retro receiver. After fighting with it, then thinking i had won, it fought back again harder than ever.
    Noticed they had 2 versions of the firmware for the reciever listed on the main page, so figuring there was a reason the older one was still on the main page, I grabbed it and BAM. No more fighting. :D

Brilliant having a controller with a decent dpad again. Looks just like my old snes pad, just squished up a wee bit to fit in some joysticks.

Now to get all this to feed to my old trinitron and I'll be in emulator heaven.

[​IMG]

Vanne, elvis and WuZMoT like this.
  18. elvis

Got myself one of these a little while back, and use it for all my MiSTer SNES/NES gaming as well as most stuff on Switch.

Not quite as good as the original SNES controllers, but pretty damned close.

19. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah, seems pretty good so far. Not perfect, but has the modern perks and is far better than my ps4/xbox one controller was for old games.

The reciever is great (since downgrading to 1.18, 1.22 was a nightmare on my system constantly switching to switch mode and hanging up programs etc.).

Being able to do xinput translations etc without needing software is handy indeed. Worked well on my PS4 controller as well.
    Can switch between a bunch of controllers without having to change my settings/mappings now. :)

That M30 6 buttton looks tempting though! :D

20. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

FIXED!

IMG_20190520_151119.jpg IMG_20190520_151754.jpg

Vanne, qwertylesh, elvis and 2 others like this.