Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Just came back from my trip to Computer Reset...........nah just kidding. :D Brought these from an eBay seller in Texas who paid them a visit and listed these on eBay for incredibly cheap prices (less than 20 USD each) so you can just imagine how much he paid. :shock: Shipping was a absolute killer as usual but at the end of the day it was a once in a lifetime opporunity to pick these items up for prices you just won't see once the supply is exhausted.

First the box they came in. Honestly as strange as it might sound I'm in no hurry to throw this out despite how ratty it is! I think it's a cool bit of history and after Googling a part number I found on it discovered it came from a PS/2. I'll use it store some bits and pieces.

Click to view full size!

IBM PCJr Motherboard still factory sealed:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

IBM PCJr 64K Internal Memory Expansion still factory shrink wrapped:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

A bit of a back story I'd like to share regarding how all these PCjr parts managed to end up at Computer Reset in Texas. Apparently not long after IBM discontinued the PCjr in the mid 80's, they liquidated what remaining PCjr's/PCjr parts they had in their warehouse in Florida and Computer Reset brought everything. It's why if you've watched the video which has been going around from Lazy Game Reviews, you'll see stacks and stacks of PCjr gear. It's really quite incredible.

For many years right into the early 90's, Computer Reset was still supporting what was left of the PCjr community providing repairs/service (like the Sierra PCjr seen in another LGR video) and upgrades from 3rd party suppliers. They really were the one stop shop for all your PCjr needs.

This closure of Computer Reset, while sad that it's an end of a business that has been going around for so long providing a great service, has given new life to the PCjr and in fact the retro scene as a whole with the absolute mindboggling amounts of hardware and software that hasn't seen the light of day for decades being released into the market. And while the clean up has been going on for months (currently on a break due to the extreme heat currently experienced in Texas) it's really only the tip of the iceberg.

Looking forward to receiving more goodies soon....:)

adz, MrMaestro, badmofo and 2 others like this.
  2. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Being so close to the Silicon Prairie, I wonder what they have for Tandy gear in stock.

3. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I've seen a Tandy 1000 and 3000 pulled out of there from whats posted on facebook but I dare say there is more.

But I know one thing for sure I would love to go there and find out!

4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Part II of my Computer Reset "haul" via eBay. These all came from another eBay seller also located in Texas. Not as cheap as the first lot but made an offer on all 3 so I got a bit of a discount.

IBM CGA Graphics Card. I assume the outer box was originally shrink wrapped which is obviously isn't now, but internally it's still sealed from when it came out of the factory back in 1989.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

IBM PCjr Joystick still sealed.

Click to view full size!

IBM PCjr Drive/Fan Assembly. Bit of a miscellanous part, this is the plastic frame which mounts both the floppy drive and drive fan inside the PCjr. Bit of a hard to find part on it's own.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

That's probably it for a while since there has been a bit of a lull in picking at CR due to it being temporarily closed to pickers for the past month or so due to extreme heat. So prices and the availability of items on eBay seems to have stagnated for a while until the next flood after they open their doors again.

As for what I'll do with the parts, all the PCjr gear has a use. The joystick will go with my main machine I have, the other parts will be used to complete a PCjr rebuild I foolishly in hindsight took on before I later purchased a complete kit. Figured it was best to complete the project instead of letting it go to waste.

The IBM CGA card I have no idea what I will do with as it's surplus to my needs. Only really purchased it because it was a good price and figured I might as well take advantage of the fact I was buying other stuff from the seller and bundle it together.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    adz, BuuBox and qwertylesh like this.
  5. flain

flain Member

I just purchased a IGS PGM2 with knights of valor 2 on ebay, will post pics when it finally arrives

elvis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Wiidual arrived. Now to chase down the installer.

Attached Files:

Vanne likes this.
  7. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

I know a installer in NSW. He is on the official list for installers and he has installed my gcdual and some rgb boards. Msg me if you need his details.

Vanne likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Yeah I contacted him a little while ago. Will probably hit him up.

Vanne likes this.
  9. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

No problems

10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

New additions to my console family from gumtree, never owned one of these before - now own two!

IMG_20190827_191443.jpg IMG_20190827_192017.jpg

2 genuine black controllers that work, 4 power wave after markets, 1 working, 1 dodgy A button, 2 not working.
    will look at cleaning the genuine ones up later and getting some new thumb sticks in them. A real shame I didn't get the Halo controller to match the console.

I got home around 7PM and was tired with a headache but could not rest without obligatory clock capacitor surgery. Lady luck shines! The Halo console looks like it hasn't leaked. The black one had leaked very slightly - There are 3 capacitors near the main heatsink that have actually popped their tops and I was surprised that they were worse than the clock cap. Just in case he misses it I want to tag FIREWIRE1394 for one of the below images :) I finally lucked out on 'forbidden extras'
    IMG_20190827_214142.jpg IMG_20190827_214204.jpg

Both have made a full recovery from surgery.

IMG_20190827_221204.jpg

FIREWIRE1394, elvis and Vanne like this.
  11. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Have you changed the CPU caps? I've had to a couple of times now. Wasn't too hard

Vanne likes this.
  12. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

The forbidden extras can also be just a splash of solder into the right spots. I also hear that 007 is a fun game.

13. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Are they the 6.3v 3300uF ones? between the main power connector and the largest heatsink (presumably CPU)

14. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

That is also planned so I would have much rather found this in a console that doesn't have a disc-less solution.

15. Vanne

Vanne Member

Ask him if there is a discount for doing 2 at the same time? :) I'll ship mine over to you :) lol

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

the quoted price was lower than i expected and as mentioned earlier recommended installer from the source themselves.

which reminds me i should email him today. I take it you chickened out?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Vanne likes this.
  17. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Thems the ones i had to change. I think there was another larger cap sitting by himself a bit closer to the power connector i had to change also.

here is a pre op photo. Sadly i didn't take a photo after the fact.

[​IMG]

edit: lots of edits due to my lack of forum abilities

qwertylesh likes this.
  18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

That's the ones, I've got 10 on the way. Mine has a very similar pattern of severity to yours - 2 leaked and 1 bulged but no leak. My eyes went straight to them as soon as I removed the drives.

It boots a game fine, Did you have problems with your unit that made you replace them or was it just something you noticed while cleaning etc?

Also RMS Components didn't have these ones, I've ordered them from the UK because I didn't want to wait for China. 10 should keep me covered but a local source would have been nice for delivery time.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

As in chickened out for the self install? That's a yep!! :) Lol

I don't wanna stuff it up.

20. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

I can't remember if i even tested the unit prior to replacement. I found 2 systems listed on ebay as faulty. I was originally after the optical drive to repair an xbox i've owned since the early 2000's.

I just found the invoice for the caps. I ordered them from element 14 Australia.

WuZMoT likes this.