Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

not worth it unless you're confident.

Vanne likes this.
  2. kazimatiz

kazimatiz Member

Got extremely lucky and picked this Amstrad 5286HD up for free off Gumtree over the weekend

The owner had it working in the listing photos, but I was unable to get it started (power and keyboard LEDs just rapidly flicker). Will inspect the PSU when I get a chance.

[​IMG]

3. flain

flain Member

My PGM2 arrived from China in what must of been the fastest ever I've received a package from there!

pgm2-s.png 69283070_477297619773428_609013108303724544_n.jpg
    ingame.jpg

Pretty fun game! very smooth animations and has a good feel/responsiveness on the controls for a beat em up. Has 4 player support. A 4-player cab is still on my wish list :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. badmofo

badmofo Member

I'm in possession of the HP Vectra VE5 that I've been after for ages thanks to /invariance\. 200Mhz Pentium MMX, 48MB RAM, ~4GB HDD and built like a tank. It's in great condition and looks to be almost totally complete and original. The original Aztech soundcard is missing but meh, I probably would have replaced that anyway. It has keys, both 5 1/4 bay covers and there's even a bezel tucked away inside for when the time comes to put a CD-ROM in - I'm going to want to install Windows95 on it.

The plastic on the top cover needs a bit of love and there's some slight yellowing so I might even consider painting it too but I'll see how it looks after a cleanup. The PSU squeals when it's turned off so I might have to get in there and find some answers - I'm also wondering what you do when the PSU dies in an OEM machine like this? Try and fix it I guess. This is going to be a great project :thumbup:

Check out that packing effort!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    MrMaestro, /invariance\, adz and 2 others like this.
  5. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

from the photo the psu looks like a standard AT form factor, so might be just a matter of using an ATX => AT adapter and repining it to suit that mb if its not compliant with the normal AT power plug. Might be an idea to grab a multi-meter and checking what voltages are on what pins while that PSU is still operational - With any luck it will be the same as an AT psu, although the wire colours are different.

6. adz

adz Member

I was always disappointed to find sub-premium components (ala SiS) in premium branded (and priced) machines like HP.

greencamel65 likes this.
  7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It looks like the HP Vectra VL although the colour codes for the individual power cables dont seem to match up.

https://pinouts.ru/Power/hp_vectravl5_power_pinout.shtml

As a side note, this website above is seriously awesome. :thumbup:

adz likes this.
  8. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

9. adz

adz Member

Or possibly even ALi :tongue: However, anything running an AMD chip from that era is going to have either a VIA, SiS or ALi chipset.

10. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

SiS wasn't that bad in this era. It wasn't really till the Athlon/P4 times that they earned a bad name.
    Let's not pretend that VIA were perfect either! Yeah they tended to have better performance but I still remember seeing a few VIA boards with the odd issue.

11. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

12. badmofo

badmofo Member

Downloaded and backed up thanks! I've also been working through driverguide sites to gather up the relevant drivers and software - I remember being impressed that HP were still hosting it back in 2011 but they've apparently since grown wearing of maintaining access to the old stuff.

13. badmofo

badmofo Member

Here's a closer look at that PSU in the Vectra VE5 - looks pretty bespoke to me. Like the rest of the machine it's super clean and will probably power on for the next 20 years - I'm assuming the squeal it emits is from one of the coils? I pulled out and replaced most of the hot glue around coils / caps and that seemed to make exactly zero difference. It's most audible when the PC is just turned off, and then decreases over the next 10 mins or so. So far this machine is pretty easy to work with - the PSU just lifts out for example, it's not screwed down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vanne likes this.
  14. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

:lol: Glad to see you finally lucked out on the forbidden extras! and getting a bonus like that on an OG Xbox is one of the best consoles to get it on.
    SUPER easy HDD modding, and harder to emulate properly than most other consoles.

so when are you chucking in a large* Hard drive?
    large comparatively speaking. I think 500 or 750GB was the largest IDE drives went. I've been holding a 320 IDE drive for my friend when he decides to mod his.:thumbup:

15. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Or even betting chuck in a newer/more reliable SATA drive with an adaptor!

16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

you don't need to waste that much space on a complete library, all the best games fit will fit on a HDD under 500GB ;)

17. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I obtained a third box (1.0 PCB) with a dead HDD since that post from a guy at work as a result of discussion of the first 2.

Got some startech IDE2SAT2 adapters due Monday, going to have a crack at everything this coming weekend.

Going to play some splinter ;) cell ;);) on the stock Xbox first then try to revive the one with the dead HDD later.

Ideally get the 1.0 box working to use as a utility for mucking around trying different dashes etc since it's the roughest condition and has a GPU fan. I think I'm going to give the other black one to a mate and keep the green Halo edition for myself.

Going with SATA more so for reliability than space, Also I presume an unlocked disk can be accessed on PC if needed?

18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Just cause a drive it old doesn't mean it's unreliable...
    I've got a 120GB with nearly 100,000 hours use (more than 11 years) on it here, not a problem.

If anything, you should use IDE for authenticity ;)

19. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Well in saying that the first 80GB PATA drive i grabbed out of the shoebox DOES work. It was also on its side and not in an anti static bag or plastic shell. It's probably the smallest drive in the shoebox except maybe a 40GB seagate or 10GB Samsung so whatever happens I'll still have options.

I'd also like to get SATA going in all of them for the purpose of cloning/backing up the config in a dual SATA dock with minimal effort.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Now that answer makes sense!