1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

what price were you expecting to get one for?
    I feel like they bottomed out around the $90 mark at some cash converters but at that price you might be missing the gamepad dock. This happened to me, genuine dock from ebay was around $20.

I don't have as much variety as you guys, around half of the 24 units are just PS1/2/3.

Also raise your hand if you've never been GIVEN a wii... :lol:

EDIT:
    Didn't happen to hold onto the PSU's for spare parts did you?
    power could do with a (i think) gen 1 PSU that doesn't have a fan that sounds like a dremel.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    power likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

they kind of have, they are often under $100 - just keep looking.

elvis likes this.
  3. shredder

shredder Member

I got zero consoles. Come at me fuckers.

(alternatively, donate me some consoles, lol)

adz, Vanne and elvis like this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If you're starting at this point and are genuinely interested, I 100% recommend a MiSTer. The thing is a literal museum in a box.

5. shredder

shredder Member

I probably will at some stage. Time is the enemy.

I've emulated quite a few titles over the decades since, but was only a full-on gamer between about 1985-1995. Getting deeper into a 25 year pool of neglect at this stage, at the age of 40 odd, well there's no end in sight put it that way.

Even now, having recently built myself an emulation cabinet, there's an endless list of games from all kinds of systems, and even just restricting oneself to toplists is a riot of almost paralysing choice. (and that's just new-to-me stuff, without mentioning the significant time spent re-playing old games I actually know/remember)

Meanwhile, here I am two months into my retro gaming resurgence, slowly playing my way through a chosen handful, e.g. half a dozen levels into Super Mario World, having never had Nintendo systems or played Mario platformers before.

The foibles of screen types (CRT vs other, etc) and lag and other such niceties barely gets a look-in. The tech side of me is very interested but the gaming side (who grew up sitting on the floor playing on cheap little sets or whatever we had) isn't bothered at this stage.

6. elvis

Continuing on my MiSTer gush session, its built in scaler is lag free. Even if you give zero shits about CRT, you can plug a MiSTer into your gaming LCD or living room TV direct via HDMI, whack it in gaming mode, and enjoy colour, sound and aspect ratio accurate retro gaming with very low lag.

I'm just a teeny bit in love with this thing, in case it's not obvious.

WuZMoT and Vanne like this.
  7. shredder

shredder Member

I haven't experienced it, see. On any level, e.g. real arcade hardware - I've not played such for many many years. So it's the ignorance of the blind for me! "What lag?!?!?", "What colour?!?!?", haha. The tech side of me is like "yeah dude that sounds damn awesome". I know what you're talking about but only technically and not viscerally.

/plebeian cloth-eared/eyed git

8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I've had one too many headaches with a couple of ISA sound cards that I could never quite find the right drivers or manuals for. (One ESS based, one Yamaha based). So I hope the third time's the charm - complete in box with all the needful stuff inside.

Depleting A1 Used Computer's stock, one poor decision at a time.

[​IMG]

adz, Vanne and Flamin Joe like this.
  9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

How are you ordering from them? It's been a few years since I've brought anything off them but rediscovered them recently when I found they had a few things I was after.

Tried contacting them through what seems to be a new website they've set up (https://www.a1used-computers.com/) but no response. Tried through their "old" website, no response as yet. Didn't remember it being this difficult before. Was starting to think things had gone south before I saw your post.

10. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Mark is alive and well! I just hit him directly at: sales @ a1usedcomputers.com.au, with a link to the item's page.

The reply may take a few days. He sends the stuff out with the invoice; you pay via transfer when you get it. Now that I'm used to the routine, I love dealing with him.

This is the best page to browse from. Everything a ctrl-f away: http://www.a1usedcomputers.com.au/shop/prodList.asp

Flamin Joe likes this.
  11. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Yeah that's email address I used along with the details of the items I was after but I only did that on the weekend after getting no joy from the "new" site.

I was a little confused because the other site looked newer and flash so I figured he was moving things over there to a more automated system. After not hearing anything from there was a little concerned that my latest email was getting nowhere too so that's good to hear.

He really does have some awesome stuff so glad I found it again. Doesn't charge and arm and a leg unlike what you see on eBay. :thumbup:

Pierre32 likes this.
  12. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Got some jamma pass through fingerboards made up..

Frank_fjs shared the Gerber files so all I needed to do was send it to JLCPCB and pay :) naturally, the shipping ended up costing more for the pcb to manufacture!

[​IMG]

Thanks again Frank_fjs!

elvis and Vanne like this.
  13. elvis

Specific to lag, you'll find certain games that really illustrate the point. In particular is anything that requires frame or pixel perfect accuracy.

You don't have to go far to find these. Super Mario Brothers, Mega Man, Wonder Boy, Sonic, or almost any 8 or 16 bit shooter. Playing these on MiSTer versus an emulator produces a noticeable gameplay difference in your timing, reactions, and even success at the game. You'll die frustratingly on laggy setups, and suddenly find yourself doing far better on lower lag setups just because it all clicks, and you're experiencing the game using the timings intended and originally tested.

If you've ever played online games with a high ping, you know how that feels. Quite a similar level of frustration for older games with input and/or display lag.

Some games don't matter at all, of course. RPG titles, turn based stuff, anything where there's a low emphasis on reaction times and reflexes, and more on planned inputs with no time constraint, and none of that matters. But in those cases too, having a lag-free solution doesn't hurt, either. :)

Vanne likes this.
  14. deevus

deevus Member

Picked up this beauty today for $10. It had been sitting in a local computer shop for almost 20 years the owner said.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0PANui8nKYNQMhmipvtuB4I6w

It's an Intel Desktop Board which I'd never heard of. The RAM is RDRAM, not SDRAM. Very novel! I'm going to install Windows 98 on it and see how it goes.

adz, Vanne and Pierre32 like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

RD the great failed experiment.

16. deevus

deevus Member

If it turns out to be complete rubbish, it's no matter because the case is a good one

power likes this.
  17. Reaper

Reaper Member

More like the failed attempt at a heavy handed thug take over of the entire market.

adz likes this.
  18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

19. grommet80

grommet80 Member

I was looking at picking one up. They seem thin on the ground. Either people are holding on to them or they sold even worse than I thought.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  20. elvis

Both, I'm pretty sure. Especially here in AU.