1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

More the seek noise than the bearing spin, very "clunky" and can be heard from the other end of the house (small house mind you). Both my retro machines will end up with IDE>SATA converters, to each run a 120GB SSD.

2. Reaper

Reaper Member

Been thinking of that too. 120gb ssd is like $29. Either way converter, (ide-sata sata-ide) $15.

3. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I saved a bunch of stuff in unknown conditions.
    Friend is moving soon, and knows how much I like junk!

Among the stuff:
    Apple MacBook. Too worn out to see model number, but it has MagSafe so 2008?
    A 3.5” floppy file drawer thing.
    A black GameCube controller.
    Belkin universal Laptop power brick.
    A handful of old mobile devices (samsung S3, S4, HTC something, Motorola OLD smart something, iPhone 6, Telstra POS, cracked iPod touch, and a Garmin gps)

So now I am back home, I’m gonna proceed to add all this to the hoard pile!

Vanne, Pierre32, adz and 1 other person like this.
  4. shredder

shredder Member

Video of you doing so:

Vanne, elvis, FIREWIRE1394 and 2 others like this.
  5. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

so again a seller cancelled my order as "buyer requested cancellation" telling me it was faulty then relisted it at a much higher price. ebay doesn't seem to have any way to report this, it's extremely frustrating

6. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Retro popularity, eBay and greed are a terrible mix. :(

7. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

It would be terrible to create a throwaway account and make ludicrous no-pay bids on their item. I'd never do it.

8. adz

adz Member

I kinda get the feeling that this seller deserves it though.

Pierre32 likes this.
  9. alfster

alfster Member

baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  10. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

After some testing and negotiation I can officially call this GUS a new acquisition. Who'd have thought a hail mary WTB thread would deliver? Massive thanks to Wozza, an absolute gem of a human.

image.png

11. badmofo

badmofo Member

A happy story for Friday thankyou - I've been amazed by the generosity in the WTB thread myself :thumbup:

Pierre32 likes this.
  12. Vanne

Vanne Member

Yep, I’ve been on the receiving end of some too from SonicTheMouse. Sent me a dual Mp mobo populated with dual athlon MP,s. For the bare cost of postage. Top bloke. Thank you.. hopefully I can return the favour to someone.

Pierre32 likes this.
  13. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

I would be great to hear your thoughts on this card after you have a good opportunity to play with it. I'd like to know how it stacks up against an AWE32 for example.

baronbaldric likes this.
  14. shredder

shredder Member

Holy moly dude, that is rad. (Sorry, my language sometimes gives away the fact I'm a turtles character.) Anyhow, you're becoming quite the Audio Awesomeness Museum. :thumbup:

baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  15. RichardE

RichardE Member

Yeh I have totally had it with ebay.
    It is such a hard relationship betweeen seller and buyer these days.
    The seller always wants more and the buyer wants to pay less.
    It really sucks and the underdogs have a hard time surviving in this ecosystem.
    To be honest Ebay if I really have to buy off ebay I make sure that if I dont get my order Ebay pays me back.
    And bloody postage is a sham now.
    This COVID heist has made the issue even worse.
    Could rant forever about but I wont

16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

The main aim is to have it installed as a secondary card, for all of the things that really take advantage of it (the fairly short list of games, plus trackers & demos). But no doubt I'll delve into deeper testing, because it's fun to hear how different cards reproduce things and sometimes break them. I can say so far that Prince of Persia using the GUS's SB mode is deliciously awful.

Haha yes. Audio has definitely been the driving force behind all the builds.

baronbaldric likes this.
  17. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Yep... anything that only supports sound blaster will sound like garbage on the GUS. Try Bio Menace, as it uses FM for its sound effects and is hilariously bad on the GUS using SBOS/MegaEM (or whatever its called, I haven't used either in a long time). Basically you will want to keep a sound blaster in your machine for everything that doesn't directly support the GUS.

For stuff that does work with GUS, I like Tyrian and Descent.

You can also look into the Pro Patches Lite since it looks like you have 1MB on your card.

baronbaldric likes this.
  18. shredder

shredder Member

I remember first experiencing (somebody else's) GUS in 1995, as a fresh out of high school 17 year old.

It was a pretty killer prospect at the height of the demoscene. Demos and games which supported it seemed to hint at an elite soundscape the likes of which was inaccessible to ordinary computerers.

And indeed, for a few years there, the wavetable based MIDI coupled with (at the time) high fidelity general specs did seem to be a kind of panacea conglomeration of the strengths of both Roland and Creative, all wrapped up in a cool alternative brand that was hard to get hold of.

I guess the more mundane reality - certainly with the hindsight of 25 years of new products and standards - is that it's not hugely supported, and where it is, the results will tend to fall somewhere within the range of existing experiences.

Demoscene's MOD's and S3M's will still be based on the same samples as they were when run with SB cards. Games will still play back the same PCM sounds. MIDI will be MIDI, but using the included wavetable flavour, which I wouldn't expect to be 'superior' to Roland offerings of the time - just different.

Still fricking jealous to see one here, mind you! And wouldn't turn one down under any circumstances.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    JidaiGeki and Pierre32 like this.
  19. rugger

rugger Member

I really want a GUS now too :-(

Too rich for my blood right now.

20. badmofo

badmofo Member

There are GUS soundfonts out there - dunno how they compare to the original though.