1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. datfreak

datfreak Member

[​IMG]

30yrs after I sold my childhood C64, ive got a new one!

Works ok (even the old tapes seem to be fine), the case is in perfect condition.
    Joysticks were stuffed but my Atari ones seem to be working ok.
    Now on the lookout for a av component cable, maybe a disc drive or sd "drive" and some cartridges.
    Happy to buy or swap members for these parts.
    cheers!

2. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

If it's new is it Retro?

I've just received 13 albums from King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard's discography remastered in 8-bit on NES cart! Now to track down a NES to play it on, or a ROM.

NES_Poly_Front.jpg NES_Poly_Back.jpg

Flamin Joe, Vanne, Pierre32 and 2 others like this.
  3. breech

breech Member

I can send you a replacement switch mech if needed, just shoot me a msg.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Thanks for the offer but I found some on Aliexpress which should hopefully arrive in a few weeks time (I'm in no rush).

$36.76 including shipping for 5 pieces which is quite the bargain considering on eBay I was looking at around $40 for just the one coming from Europe. I have another 1084S which has no switch issues so it's good to have spares just in case.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000627585066.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11e64c4diqFJPu

upload_2020-7-9_12-10-7.png

5. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

IMG_20200709_155825.jpg IMG_20200709_153510.jpg

upload_2020-7-9_16-1-43.png

EDIT: didn't get the remote with it, managed to program a logitech harmony for it.
    Can't find any way into service menu!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    elvis, Flamin Joe and Pierre32 like this.
  6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Actual shot of my shed from about a year back. Not even joking.

elvis_crt_problem.jpg

GumbyNoTalent, adz, datfreak and 4 others like this.
  7. shredder

shredder Member

<backs away slowly>

then suddenly rushes forward, arms outstretched!!!!

adz, elvis and WuZMoT like this.
  8. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I'm not gonna catch you but I will jog along behind :lol:
    I'm struggling to see individual bars with the top end of Red and Blue and you've turned me into a colour snob.

Anyone ever had to get into a Tevion service menu?
    I think I've established that Orion might be rebadged Tevion. I've tried anything I can find for Tevion/Orion.

9. elvis

It's a disease. I'm sorry.

No answers for you I'm sorry, but I've got quite a few systems where I need to get into service menus and can't. A shitload of dodgy websites out there selling service menu codes for $10, and I don't trust them an inch.

10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

So is collecting CRT's it seems.
    I'm putting the handbrake back on now though until I see how the Samsung goes. I couldn't resist the Tevion it has component, svideo and is 68CM so it's cabinet backup worthy.

I have a slim 51CM LG that I'm probably going to take to the dump, is there anything in it that might be worth salvaging?
    It's got numerous issues being a slim tube so I don't think it can be brought back.

elvis likes this.
  11. elvis

Probably not worth much. As you say, slims are notorious for issues, and particularly if it's a late model digital chassis there's not a lot you can do from either a "shotgun recap" approach either, nor a generic/arcade chassis replacement.

12. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

It's such a shame because they fit in wardrobes so easily. I was so excited when I picked it up and it turned out to be doomed.
    It has dim/discoloured patches. You can fix it up to some extent with a degauss wand but its super touchy and I often found myself getting the wand too hot trying for too long to get it 'right'. Even the best result was average. The next time you turn it on it's at maximum fucked again.

elvis likes this.
  13. breech

breech Member

I needed a decent controller for Super Hang-On so got a Logitech Wingman 3D stick from ebay which supports gameport and USB. Looking forward to playing a few classics with it such as MechWarrior 2, Moto Racer and some DOS flight/space sims.

Click to view full size!

Sanctioned and C-19 decontaminated by the chief medical officer, good to go :p

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    adz, elvis, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  14. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

That was my stick of choice back when I was playing Tie Fighter non stop. Are they easy/affordable to track down on the used market?

15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I had one of these and never thought much of it.

I know they were popular though.

Few years after owning it I bought a Saitek, my god so much better in every possible way.

16. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I didn't realise this until recently but Saitek is now owned by Logitech and has been since 2016. Goes to show just how little I've paid attention to the Joystick market as thinking back I don't think I've brought a new Joystick for a good 20 years! Last one would of been the Microsoft Force Feedback Pro which in just looking up came out in late 1997. Damn it's been that long.

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah, I remember this happening :(

it made me sad.

I have a Cyborg Evo I put a heap of time on when I played BF2 religiously.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/mad-catz-sells-saitek-to-logitech.1205156/

18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I've actually been looking at getting a Joystick recently in preparation for Flight Simulator 2020 and I was looking at one of the cheaper Saiteks (can't remember which one) and it was getting bad reviews. I'm like, Saitek? Can't be so they've been a trusted brand for decades. Then I find out Logitech now owns them....ahhhhhhhhhhh makes sense now. :(

19. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro kicking around from when I played BC2 and BF3. It was dirt cheap staff pricing where I used to work and I only bought it because I saw it in stock but damn it provided some fun for the price.

20. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I picked up a SideWinder 3D Pro late last year. Definitely a classic and nice to have. But more recently I found a cheap CH F-16, and I was floored by the difference in feel. It's like going from a Lada to a Bentley.