Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. rugger

rugger Member

Yeah, I saw a video online about that just last week. It may have been the trigger that got me to originally look on ebay to see what the Matrox cards were doing.

The Matrox version of nascar wasn't actually any faster, but had less textures, than software rendering:

Here it is:

Pierre32 likes this.
  2. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Same reason I bought a whole box of trash CDs on ebay, just because there was an uncommon S3D OEM disc in there with the accelerated version of Descent II. I haven't managed to get it working on my card, and if I do it will only be a quick "neat" before I go back to the Voodoo version.

Anyone need a bunch of Win2k sysadmin course module CD-ROMs? :Paranoid:

3. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yes that was me back in the day - lusting after the Millennium for ages, finally getting one, and realising that YET AGAIN I'd been tricked by 90s hype. Still a fantastic late DOS era card though, fast 2D and a beautiful image.

4. rugger

rugger Member

For me,

Cyrix, S3. Both dumb decisions for 3d gaming. Rectified by buying a completely new system!

At least I was tricked by cheap hardware :) Could never afford a voodoo at that stage. Looking at Voodoo Prices now, still can't really afford them haha!

5. Phido

Phido Member

I think looking at the matrox cards in hindsight, the S3 cards weren't so bad.
    About the only advantage with the matrox cards is they had drivers for professional software.

rugger likes this.
  6. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I struggle to see any value in the premium 2D cards in the mid 90s after playing around with enough of them for the typical gamer/home user.

Typical cards were the S3s, Tseng Labs, they did the job with no performance penalty for dos games compared to anything Matrox put out.

All the marketing giving the impression your gaming would be better when it made ZERO difference.

Phido and rugger like this.
  7. rugger

rugger Member

The value wasn't there, but then people today still buy cards like the 3090 for gaming, with nearly exactly the same outcome.

Back in the day, Matrox cards were good for high res/high refresh-rate work. These days, it is largely a curiosity more than anything else.

As for why I am getting these cards now, well, if I looked at my collection (horde), practicality went out the window some time back.

8. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Windows 3.11 is a sight to behold at 1600x1200 on a Matrox Millennium II. :D

Pierre32 and adz like this.
  9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Been on the lookout for some beige LCD's since they are getting harder to find and make great CRT replacements so ended up picking up these two from Reboot IT.

Mitsubishi Diamond Digital DV171JB 17" LCD
    https://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/1568.htm

Mitusbishi Diamond Digital DV191 19" LCD
    https://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/1578.htm

Both were just $19 each + $39.99 shipping via Star Track. Should hopefully arrive next week.

They list on eBay as well (that's where I saw the 19") but the 17" wasn't on there I only found it after I decided to check out their website. Was happy I did as the 19" doesn't come with the base where as the 17" does. Not a big deal as there's a good chance the base is interchangable so I could possibly still use the 19" but not overly fussed as the 17" is the size I was after and the 19" is just a bonus.

Pierre32 likes this.
  10. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Not too exciting, ordered a GeForce 2 MX from eBay last night. I have a geforce4 MX (this shit one) already but the 2 wasn't that much slower and its what I had back in the day.

I've started thinking about re-painting modern, black cases in beige. not really sure if modern angular designs will look that good but thought it might be worth a shot where older cases aren't available in good quality.

11. Phido

Phido Member

IMO the big thing was memory. 1mb 2mb and 4mb unlocked a lot of different resolutions.
    Seeing windows at 1280x1024 NI for the first time blew my mind.. Seeing with 24 bit colour in Photoshop 3 on a ~DX4 100 was pretty cool.

2D windows performance is a real thing too particularly with Win95, Jazz jackrabbit 2 is playable on some weak machines if you had windows acceleration for example. Same with simcity 2000 for windows and Red Altert for w95.

I had a 4mb S3 Virge GX2 which I had bought about 1997 ish.. and with the D3D wrapper, it could play some quake games at low res (400x300, 512x386) and most of the DX6 stuff worked okay with it. it was like a $50 card at that stage. Pretty happy with it.
    It was a AGP card, one of the first I remember seeing for actual sale, but supported no AGP features. But the AGP bus was nice and fast, and was a decent enough card for dos and direct x 5/6 games, particularly at low resolutions.

I quite like my 386 in a modern matx case. Its just a bit of a pain to work on. But as a machine, very nice.
    [​IMG]

adz, rugger, TaXy DriVar and 2 others like this.
  12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I picked up a 20" Sony SDM-S205F from Reboot IT a few months ago. Good seller. :)

Shame most of the LCDs are 5:4, but still good to have.

adz, rugger and Flamin Joe like this.
  13. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

That case looks great for that purpose! How did you deal with the backplate and keyboard port etc? Does it line up with an AC-97 opening ok?

My first PC had a S3/Virge DX with 4mb ram. it was fairly fast but the small amount of vram meant it ran out of texture memory because the frame buffer took up so much room at anything above 320x240. For some reason its the only video card I still have. Scavenged some more ram chips and upgraded it to 8mb but I don't have a machine to put it in right now to see how much of a difference it makes.

14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I have that exact same LCD except it's IBM branded. Gives it a bit more of a retro look to it with the IBM logo. :)

Must of been one of models that was still in production during Lenovo's acquisition of IBM's PC business and was simply rebranded.

15. Phido

Phido Member

Muhaha.. No. Nothing fits normally. Board sits on perspex sheet, with holes and standoffs attached. ATX panel blank with a keyb hole cut in.
    [​IMG]

Thats the power and turbo switch at the back.

Build log here..
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/386-buildlog.1234684/
    It wasn't that hard, just fiddly. At the end of the day you can put a vintage setup in a nice little compact case. I love it. Its probably my most loved and used setup.

I love it because sometimes I sneak it inside the house and put it on my desk and my wife doesn't even know I am retro computing. To as casual glance, it just looks like some unsuspecting machine.. Its when people notice the 5.25 floppy...

Vogon thread here. I troll them pretty good. I even got some of the more hardcore Vogon guys, Feopia and Anonomous Coward.
    People are adamant is its not physically possible to fit a baby AT motherboard into a MATX case.

I also made some wild claims, accelerated graphics, USB, wifi, coprocessors etc. It actually has all of those, just not how they thought it would be. Plus I acted like a newbie, like I didn't know what I was doing at all.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=60993

It ended up with 16mb ram, 2Mb isa card cirrus logic acceleration, 32GB SD, and a 486sxl2 ~40Mhz with a Cyrix mathcopro. It can play Jazz Jackrabit2 at 640x400 in windows.

Was totally worth it for the lol's when I dropped the bomb.
    upload_2020-10-2_14-6-59.png

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    adz likes this.
  16. Phido

Phido Member

Yeh, I would rather an IBM one. But its okay and its what I have.

17. hutts24

hutts24 Member

I was given a present today: an ASUS V9999GT, which is a silly name for an AGP nVidia 6800GT card. I don't know if it works yet, but if it does I will finally have an AGP card that can work fit in the AGPx2 slot of this BX board I have. Will be an overkill matched with the 1GHz Celeron.

Attached Files:

adz likes this.
  18. adz

adz Member

Awesome card, I still have the PCIe version in my collection, it was the first high end GPU I had ever purchased.

19. adz

adz Member

I grabbed a Dell P1914S from them the other day as the old 19" 4:3 I had been using as a garage monitor started to cause me grief. I dare say it's caps so I'll recap it at some stage, but the Dell, despite being a 5:4 seems to be doing a pretty good job. Being an IPS panel, the colour and picture is actually quite nice.

Edit...Whoops, double post, even I don't know what I'm doing sometimes :p

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Phido and Flamin Joe like this.
  20. hutts24

hutts24 Member

I had a closer look at the ASUS V9999GT today and it looks like I won't be able to put it into the BX board with AGPx2. It doesn't have the notch to mark it 3.3V compatible, but it is missing the connector pads where the notch would normally be, so when I looked at it through the anti static bag, I assumed it had both notches for 1.5V and 3.3V. I'll have to press on with PCI video for now.