Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

My retro PC has always sat on a cheap IKEA desk or equivalent and it just doesn't set the mood, so last night after a quick beer for courage I jumped on to Gumtree and found this gloriously hideous number just down the road. It's in pretty good condition but I might replace the rubber t-moulding for something a bit nicer, woodgrain perhaps? It has a built in CD holder and slide out keyboard / mouse tray which works well. I'll also add some aluminium angle lengths under where the monitor sits; I suspect it'll bow after a while with a CRT on it.

My wife is not amused.

IMG_5864.JPG

2. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

lmao, I am eventually building another desk in the study to accommodate one of my retro machines (just need time to weld it together), but I have seen these desks around and seriously considered one for the full my-bedroom-in-the-90s feel.

But then I realise I'd just be like Fry in that episode of Futurama where he has all that money and builds himself a 90s themed apartment with all the antiques, and I'm getting a bit too close for comfort in that respect.

And on that note, this is what arrived today, thanks to.. *checks retro bargins thread*.. badmofo!

1223.jpg

Multi-IO card (which appears to be BNIB) and the 28.8k modem, which came with box. For $30 shipped.

okclock123, adz, Pierre32 and 3 others like this.
  3. rugger

rugger Member

Bought a junk box off gumtree cheaply after seeing it contained a VLB card. Lot was $30.

Working items it included of note:

8-bit soundcard.JPG
    8-bit soundcard with Panasonic/Sony/Mitsumi CD-ROM interface. Seems to emulate SB2.0 and OPL2. Had to remove physical volume control and bypass it because it wasn't working. Maybe one day I'll find a suitable potentiometer to replace it with.

mach32.JPG
    VLB mach32 with 2meg ram ... took a few tries to get it to make contact and start up, but works fine. Always love me a VLB graphics card. Worth the price of the junk lot all by itself.

gigabyte GA-6BX7.jpg
    Gigabyte GA-6BX7+ motherboard. CPU support up to 1ghz Coppermine (133mhz), ISA slot and SB_Link connector. Works fine, but has a broken memory retention clip and all the 330uF Stone branded capacitors need replacing. Once Recapped, with make a great high performance DOS gaming box. Could use an ISA card or a Yamaha YMF-724 on it. The broken memory clip, while annoying, doesn't prevent memory being held tightly in that slot.

snes controllers.JPG sega controllers.JPG
    And some Sega and SNES controllers. Do not know if they work yet.

Apart from the above, I got a handful of ISA NIC cards (now have way too many), an ISA multi-I/O card (which i am sure works fine) and a 8-bit Monochrome ISA/Multi-I/O card.

So not a bad pickup for the amount I paid.

4. Vanne

Vanne Member

Haha that's awesome BM. Nice pickup. Love the wife comment.. I'd imagine mine would not be impressed either.. haha

badmofo likes this.
  5. bYrd

bYrd Member

On my usual travels, I've spied a few CRTs of late but all were pretty beat up and cords cut.

Sunny day today driving to work. Saw a Proview (I think marked as MAGview) 19" 986NS CRT on the curb, 2003 vintage, clean and intact. Now have to work an entire day before getting home to see if it fires up! :) Wouldn't say it was super heavy, hope it works and has a decent image.

FIREWIRE1394 and andrewbt like this.
  6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Something local popped up today and I just couldn't help myself.

[​IMG]

A G4 mac is always a fun thing to play with, but the star of the show was the VGC Sony Trinitron Multiscan G400 19" CRT :thumbup:

For the princely sum of $50. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    aokman, okclock123, hutts24 and 13 others like this.
  7. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

mother fucker (in the nicest possible way)

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Did anyone see this? You guys are just amateurs :lol: That's USD too. Gobsmacked, am I.

mario bros.jpg

adz likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

people wasting buckets of cash don't impress me at all, i like to hear and participate in good bargains.

okclock123, adz and Ratzz like this.
  11. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I would have said the same thing to myself if I didn't go and get it.

Vanne, adz and rugger like this.
  12. Phido

Phido Member

bloody unicorns!

rugger likes this.
  13. rugger

rugger Member

Yep, I got totally outdone.

Mine is only a 17 inch tritron and it only came with a Dual Processor PII-400 slot 1 system for $50 (was a year or 2 back)

14. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I love the fact your phone camera went stupid/Dali on the CRT.

15. Phido

Phido Member

I know this means nothing to most people. But I have been looking for a period correct Compaq keyboard to go with an ancient deskpro 386 16 I have.

[​IMG]

New in packaging..

Now all I need is Model 470A Compaq VGA Color Monitor...

okclock123, breech, Vanne and 10 others like this.
  16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nice :thumbup: I've been aiming for the same with my Presario 425 (or near enough to). I found some NOS Compaq branded PS/2 mice, and my Compaq speakers from the tip shop. Just need the keyboard now, and for that I just need old mate A1 to answer his goy dang emails :rolleyes:

17. adz

adz Member

Looks schmick!

18. badmofo

badmofo Member

Beautiful looking keyboard! Windows key who needs it?

Flamin Joe and adz like this.
  19. Phido

Phido Member

They are nice units. I have a model M. But that is for an IBM I have. For me the keyboard is very important, its how you physically interact with the machine. Old keyboards have a feel that for me is a big part of the machine. Matching a machine with a period/type correct keyboard is, I dunno, a special part of retro collecting.

With such a nice unit I am going to have to do a full restoration on the Deskpro. IMO its not a bad machine and just needs a good tidy up. They are well built, with a very distinctive style. a 386 has enough grunt for 80's and early 90's DOS, VGA 256Kb, PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports! Fine for Windows 3.1 and DOS stuff. I'll pair it with a monotech Adlib card. Mine is a 386sx with 2Mb ram which again, is fine for what I want. I already have a 386 socket machine with 32MB ram, 2Mb ISA VGA and a 486DLC/2, so I specifically want something that isn't going to tempt me to heat it up. Really this is ideal for 286 type games. Wolf3d is probably as far as I would push it. Games like Hero's quest, Police Quest, Space quest, Blues brothers, Commander Keen, etc.

Will need some retro-brighting particularly with this new keyboard showing up the place.

For me windows keys really ruin the older DOS experience. ctrl and alt are used all the times in games and software from that period, and the wacky windows keys sucks. Plus it distracts from the machine, cause clearly you aren't running windows 95+...

Plus.. new in box.. undirtied. Unblemished!

okclock123, Flamin Joe and adz like this.
  20. adz

adz Member

And no human filth :leet:

Or hair from the pubis...

okclock123, Flamin Joe and Phido like this.