1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I doubt the desk thinks so. :eek:

Vanne and adz like this.
  2. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Found my fetish. What model board?

adz likes this.
  3. Vanne

Vanne Member

bought a new mobo... lol not new i guess...

lol.. abit has done the runner, lucky ive tracked drivers down online. and yes, couple of caps need replacing, thats okay, i can do that)

Anyone spot the main prize in there? universal AGP.. so will do both 1.5 v and 3.3v :)

plus has that uber snazzy blue oem propeller.. :p

Attached Files:

• 700.jpg
      700.jpg
      File size:
      444.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    baronbaldric, adz and rugger like this.
  4. rugger

rugger Member

I have a soft spot for Athlon and Athlon XP systems. AMD was kicking all kinds of butt back then, and Intel had the pentium 4 ....

5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

My soft spot for AMD started a little earlier with the K6-2 then continued with the Athlon then Athlon XP (which was my last AMD system). Loved the Athlon Slot A era the most, was just something cool about the cartridge design both AMD and Intel were doing at the time not to mention AMD beat Intel to the 1GHz milestone for the ultimate bragging rights. :D And who could forget the CPU lottery where you could end up with a CPU which was actually rated 50-100MHz higher than it was sold as AMD were getting such great yields at the time.

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

for me it was the K6-3 , and then ofcourse like you with the althlon XP/MP/opteron stuff that came after that.
    I had a voodoo 3 2000 agp card that matched my K6-3 450 perfectly.. that 3d-now stuff actually was pretty good. I remember that was around 1999-2000 change over, while people were waiting for planes and the stock exchange to fall out of the sky.

rugger and Flamin Joe like this.
  7. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Neat :) What are your plans for it?

9. Vanne

Vanne Member

10. Draxx

Draxx Member

I have the whole ABIT FTP from just before they shut it down if you need anything.

MUTMAN, baronbaldric and breech like this.
  11. Draxx

Draxx Member

Damn, I ditched 3 of these recently, 1 wasn't working and one wouldn't charge....

12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Yes 3DNow! made a big difference with my system. I was upgrading from a Pentium 200 MMX which had a Creative Encore DVD Decoder kit and even though the K6-2 350 had a lot more grunt I still couldn't completely do away with the hardware decoder as it still lagged a little bit when playing movies. That all changed however once PowerDVD got updated to add 3DNow! support and I could finally do away with the hardware decoder and the crappy pass through cable!

Vanne likes this.
  13. Vanne

Vanne Member

just bought a PS2 and a phat PS3 with a bunch of games and 2 spanking dual shock 3 controllers. payed 120 bucks.. not as cheap as some of you guys score em, but hopefully in good nick.

14. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Was intended to be a Mac learning exercise

HDD-->SSD, 1GB RAM-->Max

It actually recognized the 4GB RAM I put in, but then I read >3GB is wasted so I'll reduce it to 3GB

And it didn't recognize a 120GB Patriot Blast that I intended to use, so I'll swap SSDs around hoping to find one it does like

Wasn't impressed with feel of the SSD going in, nor the RAM for that matter - not being able to see connectors isn't very reassuring, so it got disassembled for clean and observation

YouTube video makes it looks so easy - I reckon they must free up stuff prior to recording

Their keyboard just lifted out smoothly - I had to spend hours using a guitar pick to lift the edges of mine until it came free

And I actually have a factory Snow Leopard DVD from my last dabble in the Mac world - ironically the MacBook didn't seem to like that one (sinking feeling), but then worked OK with a burnt Verbatim originally copied from the factory one :leet:

Assuming I can get Snow Leopard running on a SSD, then update to Lion which I believe is latest compatible, hoping to get Trim support

baronbaldric, Vanne and Pierre32 like this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

I'd leave these on Snowy, lion sucks hard on them. Theres a proggy called trim enabler or something original like that, works a treat. Great little work horses.

baronbaldric likes this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

I just picked up the phat PS2.. it's imaculate. Only one mystery is that it's possibly been opened up.

16064980255051867914770047319266.jpg 16064980748463816225288077700919.jpg 1606498145552375816719334526687.jpg

Really nice bit o kit this one. Came with a mem card and proper Sony controller which is also really nice.
    Will see how it runs. Will prob free mcboot it, unless it has something else installed in it already.. will see when I boot it up.

17. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

SCPH-3XXXX can be a bit noisy and the fan in SCPH-5XXXX is quieter but depends how sensitive to console noise you are whether it will bother you or not. I think this + the PS3 and a pair of new dual shock 3's is a fine deal for $120.

If you FMCB it and run OPL with a USB drive and anything you want to play runs fine then roll with that. Dropping ISOs onto USB is way easier. If anything you want to play requires more bandwidth than USB 1.1 I recommend getting a gamestar sata hdd adapter for it.

baronbaldric and breech like this.
  18. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thx WuZ, I turned it on to check the drive, it's very quiet, I also peered inside through the rear fan assembly, it's soo clean it's scary.. no dust, no nothing, not even the slightest traces of it on the fan..

(My other one that I am using has a family of dust bunnies renting inside)

I'll have a carefull listen for the fan, I'll probably get time to muck about with it on Monday a bit. (Hannover today)

Here are the games that came with it, no outstanders for me, but I have to admit, the cases and discs/manuals etc are in new condition. It's nice to see that this bloke looked after his stuff.

[​IMG]

baronbaldric, adz and qwertylesh like this.
  19. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  20. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

More games came today. Thanks to a forum member :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will need to find time to play them a bit and seal em up in plastic :lol:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    elvis, spoon69, baronbaldric and 4 others like this.