Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

What a weekend for Retro Acquisitions!

Started on Friday night, when I found a listing for a heavily modified Xbox, for very cheap. I also saw the seller listed a bunch of PC Power Play Demo CDs. Well, given I looked forward to those CDs as a teenager, how could I not snavel them up!
    I went and purchased them, and chatting with the seller, I mentioned that I had some 90s PCs on the way, which is why I was keen on the CDs. He then offers me a pile of old late-90s and early 00's games. A very large amount that should keep me pre-occupied for a long time. My Fiance pointed out the Tomb Raider reboot in there, and is like "now you have a copy on PC will you finally play it?" (context, she's played the ever loving fsck out of it and bugs me to play it, that and RDR/RDR2)
    8.jpg 9.jpg 7.jpg

Today, I caught up with my friend (Collector of Esoteric computing, and provider of my 486DX/100) and dropped off a couple of Servers for his lab, he told me he found some old ISA cards from a luggable PC he once had.
    Turns out it was the system board (much like LGR's latest Video). Except this is a 286! So I guess I'll be finding one of those crazy backplanes and seeing if that works (well, eventually anyway. I've got so much retro gear and my workspace still needs to be completed!)

6.jpg 5.jpg

elvis, okclock123, gelousi and 6 others like this.
  2. Vanne

Vanne Member

Wow!! I wanna see more details/pics of that Xbox.. nice bit of hoard mate. :)

My Abit mobo just arrived.. hmm it probably doesn't have a p3 CPU in it as claimed by the seller lol..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be great for a fast running retro box for v5 5500 :) there are 2 caps on the mobo that are a little suspect, but I recon it will be fine for a bit..

Hopefully she posts...

The amd cooler and fan were completely chocked with fluff..

Edit.. yup..

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  3. adz

adz Member

Awwwww yeah!

PXL_20201129_113020253.jpg

Phido, badmofo, okclock123 and 5 others like this.
  4. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

The two in your pic that look like they're between the two fans of the graphics card?

Also the one between the first and second PCI slots appears domed

They look like Teapo or Tayeh or another of the brands denigrated on Badcaps.net

As distinct from those with K-shaped vents on top which are quality Rubycon and should be trouble-free

5. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

Haha, I'll get some better shots up soon - It's got an Aladdin Mod Chip (not really familiar with that one, I used to install Xeniums/Xecuters in the day) - It does have a window cutout for (what I assume to be) an LCD (The X3's allowed for such an LCD, which was really cool). It's also got some fans on the sides added on the sides.

It's been custom painted, and I believe the Controller (Duke no less) has some LEDs behind the xbox logo. It's missing the hard drive, but that's fine, hardware mods let you unlock/lock the harddrive in it, so I'll seek out another HDD for it!

Probably one of the more custom xboxes I've seen in the flesh.

Vanne and okclock123 like this.
  6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I got a Halo xbox that had an aladdin chip in it already from gumtree.
    hold down the power button for 3-5 seconds to turn it on, if the xbox boot logo is a different colour or the front led does something different its probably got the aladdin bios on it which allows you to boot between 3 different modes (one being the stock bios) depending on how you power it on.

https://www.auhackershardware.com/xbox/aladdin-advance-xt-xbox-modchip/prod_24.html

Modes:
    Off - Tap the powerbutton and the Xbox starts as normal with the original BIOS. (For XBOX live)

On - Press and hold powerbutton for 1 second and the Aladdin Advance XT is activated with flash enabled

Flash Protect - Press and hold powerbutton for 2 seconds and the Aladdin Advance XT is activated with flash protected.
    Visual Mode Indication:

The power LED will indicate the current mode by different colors.

Off - Green (Normal) / Orange (HDD access)

On - Orange (Normal) / Green (HDD access)
    Write protect - Continuous flashing Orange/Green

andrewbt likes this.
  7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Tested my new games out over the weekend, they all work, interestingly two refuse to work on the mega drive converter but work on actual master system units no problem, those are the loose Alex kid and the psycho fox :)

Vanne and Pierre32 like this.
  8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Couple of serial cables today.

upload_2020-12-9_22-18-4.png

^^ This one turned up from Shenzen in 7 days which was a nice surprise. I need it so I can configure my Extron using their software. Now I just need a machine that runs XP and has a serial port... 10 computers here and not one of them ticks both boxes :rolleyes: So that's gonna spawn a side project.

And the one below is for using the serial option on MIDI modules that have it. Carlingford Music Centre seems to have some of the last remaining stock in Aus. This will be used on the 386, and I have nagging feeling that one of the serial ports is not working on that IO card. So that's gonna spawn a side project.

upload_2020-12-9_22-34-10.png

9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Sometimes you roll the dice on ebay and expect an item to be busted or to be killed by 1 cent in the last millisecond of bidding.
    Then again, Sometimes you score a double win.

Philips 109S 19" from 2002 (Flat-ish, but not a pure flat) Has a couple of scratches and cracks, but worth cleaning up and using, even with a small visible scratch right in the middle and even if it's not as bright or clear as the pure flat 109B.. PERFECT SECOND MONITOR!
    And then you go to pick it up and you score a free Microsoft SideWinder Game Pad Pro from 1999
    100_0751.JPG
    Both are gonna be cleaned, and this Pad has the squishiest Dpad I've ever used.. But oddly doesn't feel BAD.

Any more CRT's and I might be committed. But when the price is right, and they're working, and they're not a million miles from home, I just have to save them.

okclock123, adz, MUTMAN and 4 others like this.
  10. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Coast run, op shop run. Found an X10 automation kit, complete with 3 power plugs and Win95 CD :D Also some sealed tapes and Minidiscs, and a crossfire bridge.

Attached Files:

11. rugger

rugger Member

Sorry, monitor is just isn't as cool when it hasn't got skelitor on it :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    okclock123 and Vanne like this.
  12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Just received this from my freight forwarder along with a lots of games I posted in the PC Big Box Collector's thread. Brand new old stock promo poster from 1994 for the original Tie Fighter by LucasArts. Can't wait to get this framed in the new year. :)

20201222_182245.jpg

Now to the other reason why I'm posting this. Since it was cheap and came from the same seller I figured I'd grab the only two he had with the view of passing on the second to someone here. I'm not looking to make any profit so I'll be selling it for what it cost me plus whatever the postage is to whoever wants it. After shipping to my freight forwarder and then to me here along with my other parcels it works out they cost me the measly sum of about $35.00 AUD each which I think is a bargain, so that's all I'll want for it. :) By the way the poster is 24 x 31 inches so it's a decent size.

It's first in first serve but I will give preference to long term contributors in the retro computing forum. No offence to others who ocassionally browse through here but I'd rather reward one of the many awesome contributors we have here for making this little retro community as good as it is. :)

Fitzi, okclock123, adz and 9 others like this.
  13. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

I'll grab it if there are no other preferences!

14. Vanne

Vanne Member

That is an awesome picture! Congrats on your aqusition. I'll look great next to the ones you've already got. ;)

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

you look great all the time, dont listen to the others :thumbup:

Vanne, Flamin Joe and Pierre32 like this.
  16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Following on from my laptop optical drive saga, I went here this morning to see what I could get.

Sadly he didn't have a suitable drive for me. But I spotted a neat little laptop and offered him $40 for it, which he accepted.

upload_2020-12-23_11-30-0.png

Toshiba Tecra M3
    Pentium M 1.7ghz
    Geforce Go 6200 TE
    1024x768

This will be perfect for some little bits of serial programming, and will also handle some light XP gaming until I build a proper rig. It handles GTA III and NFS Hot Pursuit 2 quite well!

okclock123, adz, Vanne and 1 other person like this.
  17. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

No problem, you've been active in this subforum so that counts. :thumbup: Just didn't want it going to some random non contributor. Send me a PM and we'll work out details.

It's kind of you to offer but there's this amazing invention called wall hooks, cheaper to use and don't require feeding. :lol:

Capture.JPG

adz and Pierre32 like this.
  18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Vanne what are you doing in my house?!

Please get away from my star wars poster.

That's it, I'm calling the police.

19. aokman

aokman Member

God dammit I just got rid of my last CRT but I keep finding these dam things on the side of the road! Check out this Trinitron beast! 19” flatscreen G400, dual VGA input also :D

Looks like some slight water penetration but no sign of wetness or rust, no idea when it happened, ill leave it a couple days then test with the variac... Prime candidate for a restore!

74AFB7BF-24B4-4EA2-B826-04D06268CB90.jpeg F78D1AF4-9E03-4BE6-86D2-7DE5C20F2B76.jpeg F4EADFA9-E4FF-4E29-B090-8CB8D478FE5F.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  20. Vanne

Vanne Member

Haha, that guy has way too much hair to be me mate ;)

qwertylesh, Flamin Joe and MUTMAN like this.