Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. hutts24

hutts24 Member

The 50002 I just got hold of is actually a FAT PS2, but it's one of the later FAT versions that have lower power draw and consequently a quieter fan. I can barely hear it from a metre or two. The 39002 model is really loud, and if using the hard drive, it kicks up a gear and becomes even louder still!

In Canberra I have a PS2 slim using OPL over ethernet from my Raspberry Pi 'NAS', but I found the speed not so great compared to DVD drive and that FMVs would still stutter a bit, but definitely faster than USB. Here in Brisbane I don't think I'll do much with the 50002 for a while because I don't have means to install FMCB on a memory card. Plenty of other things to do anyway....

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

How were the games stored? On a USB hard disk attached to the Pi, or on the Pi' SD card.

Most SD cards have terrible read speeds. A USB hard disk formatted to ext4 should give you much faster, stutter-free reads.

3. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Stored on a USB SSD, but connected via a hub. I wonder if the hub slowed it down? I can't remember if I tried connecting it to the Pi directly. I probably did. I haven't messed with it in years and my memory is foggy. I have some vague recollection that the same USB disk stuttered when shared from my main PC using Linux, but didn't stutter when shared from my ancient laptop running Windows XP.

Edit: Hang on, that can't be quite right because the disk was using EXT2. Well what I recall was I was able to get it going stutter free from Windows but not Linux, and Tekken 5 loaded from FAT PS2 HDD quicker than it loaded from ethernet.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Relative max speeds are:

* PS2 DVD: 4x DVD, 5.28 MB/s
    * Ethernet: 100Mbps, 10MB/s
    * Fat HDD: ATA33, 33 MB/s

Loads times will definitely be faster off HDD than network, but network is still twice DVD native speed and should not produce stuttering if correctly configured.

USB2 has a max speed of 480Mbit/s, and that should be plenty for both a USB2 connected HDD and Ethernet on the same bus for older model RPis (RPi model 1 and 2).

Newer RPi3 and 4 models will blitz that.

5. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I've just won this. Aside from being some kind of ancient DIY MIDI module, I have no idea what its deal is.

upload_2021-2-21_14-27-35.png

Listing details:

Can't wait to see what's inside. There's a fork of SoftMPU that sends MIDI over parallel, which should work with this if it's a standard GM setup. Who knows though - it's a lucky dip!

adz, JidaiGeki, MUTMAN and 2 others like this.
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks for the explanation man! that makes sense. :D

7. rugger

rugger Member

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/V2-1S-T12-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Station-Electric-Soldering-Iron/383902393059?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Finally resolved to get some decent tools for soldering this year.

Starting with a proper soldering iron with T12 heated tip.

Next month, unless the world ends -> Atten 862D hot air station.

Edit: one big plus is that if I break the handle on this soldering iron, I can plug a new one in. My altronics handle is broken, but I can't do anything about it because it is all one peice.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    adz, JidaiGeki, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  8. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Good choice on the KSGER station. I think you'll find it very slick.

9. rugger

rugger Member

I've heard from multiple sources that the soldering irons with the heaters built into the tips perform WAY better than anything that came before. Very much a far cry from the cheap and old 25W irons with the bolt on the side used to secure the little tip that I tried to use when I was younger. Solder would just look at those tips and laugh, and it would be impossible to keep these old tips tinned properly. More likely to burn a hole through a motherboard then solder anything on a motherboard!

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Yup. I like my FX-888D, but a T12 station is in another league. As good as a Metcal curie point iron, IMO.

11. hutts24

hutts24 Member

12. rugger

rugger Member

Vanne likes this.
  13. genxor

genxor Member

Found a couple of DDS tape drives on eBay at 99c, put bids on and won at starting price. One will look good in my XP machine but my win98 box is black and the tape drive is white. The horror.

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  14. Vanne

Vanne Member

Think my SL3XM is in. Need to go pick it up at DHL. Apperently there is vat to pay.. bastards.. vat on used gear..wtf

15. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

baronbaldric and JidaiGeki like this.
  16. rugger

rugger Member

Haha, I could loan you mine when it comes in!

17. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Yeah it’s rubbish. GST on low value imports in Australia is the same BS.

adz and Vanne like this.
  18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Tip shopping! Couple of nice branded ODDs, silver KB to match a HP Pavilion system, boxed Gravis pad in beautiful condition, FX5200 PCI, and a big pair of feck-ugly beige speakers out of shot. $35 total. :leet:

IMG_20210227_101202.jpg

19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Love it!!! :D

Pierre32 likes this.
  20. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Where do you find this stuff?