Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Canberra tip shops! [​IMG] I went down this weekend to catch up with some friends, but scheduled in the more important stops first.

2. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

Greensheds? They are a goldmine at times, absolutely dry at others (hutts24 mentioned they had a crap time recently)

That said, someone has a bad habit of harvesting the RAM and CPUs out of anything that ends up at Mitchell, which is a bit annoying (prolly some asshat Gold recycler)

I ended up with a PCI MX400 for $2, and a 480GTX and 465GTX for $5 a pop. Found good homes for all three!

JidaiGeki and Pierre32 like this.
  3. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Yep, most things look like they've been savaged by scrappers. I was mostly after a case this weekend, and there was one lovely P2 era tower there, but no side panels :(

I did see a few CRTs at Mugga Ln yesterday. 14"-ish VGA jobbies, not too pretty.

4. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

We are in the wrong state for tip shop finds :( I've never had any luck at all when shopping at the tip shop - there is never any ewaste available at all besides old ruined TVs and 80% complete kitchen appliances.

5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Ditto. They don't accept old PC gear.. just goes straight to waste pile

6. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Well, here's the guts. Looks to me like a Covox Speech Thing! Look forward to some testing later on. If I can get it going, I'll do up a post with some recordings in the retro sounds thread.

upload_2021-3-1_9-48-41.png

BuuBox, genxor, elvis and 2 others like this.
  7. badmofo

badmofo Member

Smuggle me budgies, now that's low-fi! I love it - looking forward to some recordings if it makes a peep.

8. genxor

genxor Member

At my nearest tip shop there's sometimes PC parts but they haven't been treated well, just thrown onto a shelf and piled under other stuff like wii fit balance boards. Last time I went they had boxes of RAM but by the time people sift through half of it ends up on the shelves banged up. Animals. Did grab a couple of decent ex-office PCs once but they're hardly retro and had also had a hard life.

Can't wait to hear what kind of sounds that little box will make!

9. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Wouldn't that be a hard afterlife?

10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I got this soundcard a while back from badmofo, an Aopen AW32 Pro / Acer Magic S23A with 1MB of onboard midi goodness.

IMG20210227145955 (1).jpg

GM sounds great to my ears and the Sound Blaster Pro emulation works well. It's an ideal pairing to my 486 DX4 system.
    The emulated OPL3 is strange, it sometimes sounds quite good but has some very jarring notes - Lemmings is a standout of its oddness.

Always nice having a boxed card. :leet:

Phido, MUTMAN, adz and 3 others like this.
  11. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

^ Yes it is :thumbup:

Looks like a Covox, walks and quacks like one too :D I fired up Star Control 2 with the switch /s:LPT1 and that was that. It's wild to think that little bank of resistors is putting out SB-like sound.

Currently the audio output is just a twisted wire connection (it's the red/brown pair in the pic) so I need to get a little jack mounted on the side before doing any recording.

baronbaldric, genxor and JidaiGeki like this.
  12. Vanne

Vanne Member

IMG_20210304_082339.jpg
    Ti4200 came in, looks brand new, but I don't have high hopes of it working as it came shipped in this purple shit..

IMG_20210304_082342.jpg

Hope it's not knackered.

rugger, baronbaldric, adz and 3 others like this.
  13. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Mine came in that stuff, but in an envelope not a box. She'll be right mate :leet:

14. rugger

rugger Member

It's fine! (probably!)

That is about how half the stuff I buy arrives. I'm genuinely pleased if they bother with anti-static bags.

Hence having purchased like 120-150 odd anti static bags off ebay over time.

baronbaldric and Vanne like this.
  15. rugger

rugger Member

Did you buy me one? :lol:

Vanne likes this.
  16. rugger

rugger Member

A drive mechanism for the old PS3 I am fixing up arrived today
    carrage.jpg

Hopefully this one will spin disks up, as it is gonna suck if it doesn't work after digging out the deepest internals of this PS3 system.

baronbaldric, Vanne, adz and 3 others like this.
  17. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

The shipping saga has ended peacefully. Here's why I was on the edge of my seat.

upload_2021-3-4_18-14-19.png

The price was embarrassingly low. We ended up chatting for a few days to organise shipping, and I did invite him to cancel the sale if he wasn't happy (primarily because I had bought a pickup-only item from interstate). In the end I'm satisfied that he was happy with the transaction. And yes he's getting a gift card in the mail as an extra thanks!

Seller gap88-88, retired courier franchise operator, lister of old odds and ends, absolute bloody champion.

18. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Nice purchase! Love the early Creative boxes.

What system are you going to use it in?

Pierre32 likes this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

The 386 I reckon. I originally said my SB16 would go into it, but to this day it still has a Labway SB Pro clone installed. I'll lose stereo FM, but I'm also keen to do the CMS upgrade so there's that. I'll also be keen to see what the deal is with the SB 2.0's pre-MPU-401 MIDI compatibility.

Tonight, just running a test install in my Presario 425 because it's nearby. And all good!

baronbaldric, Vanne, adz and 2 others like this.
  20. rugger

rugger Member

Success, PS3 drive now works great with replacement mechanism. Tested with both PS3 game and DVD video disk and it works perfectly. Not bad for about $26.50 delivered.