Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. rugger

rugger Member

I have my CT1350B in my 286 computer, and a clone CT1350B in an XT class machine (HP PC305 vic30 machine)

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

holy shit

3. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Some seriously heart-warming retro success stories in the thread lately. Although I’m not doing anything retro myself atm happy to see all the developments here!

For my next retro project I’d love to build a DOS, Win 3.1, and W95, W98, W2000 centric NAS based on Raspberry Pi. It has to live on a separate network for SMB1 to work and not expose my main network to outdated hardware.

The plan is to load it with preinstalled games, fdd images, isos of my fave games and use the Vaio P andrewbt gifted me as a thin client.

So far for the Vaio I tried ubuntu lxle, debian, and puppy linux.

Debian and lxle didn’t work out as there was no sound no matter what I tried.

Sound works great in puppy, but I’m not happy with the lack of userspace and the overall ui experience.

Next step - try arch. Arch 32bit is my favourite solution for outdated hardware like this because it lacks all the internet, printing etc stuff which adds overhead and I only need dosbox and scummvm anyway.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    adz, andrewbt, rugger and 4 others like this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If you run into any problems, sing out. I do this stuff for a living, and happy to help my retro friends attempting the same at home.

LXDE is the desktop, now replaced by LXQt, however the audio part has nothing to do with the desktop.

The kernel has the bits to enable the sound hardware itself, and userspace tools like ALSA or PulseAudio do the bit that controls volume and sound routing.

Hopping distros isn't a recommended solution. Often it's better to stick with more popular distros and try to sort your specific issue out, as the wider level of support for more well known distros helps in the long run. (For example, "Lubuntu" [Ubuntu with the LXDE desktop as default] has supplied repositories for WINE stable and bleeding edge, which makes Windows retro gaming on low end hardware a breeze).

Again, happy to help here if you want to dig a bit deeper. Start a thread on the Linux forums and we can work though the troubleshooting steps.

adz, rugger, baronbaldric and 2 others like this.
  5. Brad7000

Brad7000 Member

rugger, Vanne, MrMaestro and 5 others like this.
  6. atmo

atmo Member

I just picked up a couple of socket A systems locally on Gumtree.

System 1 is an Abit NF7-S rev2.0, XP2800+, MX440, SBLive etc. in an Aopen HX45.

System 2 in an Asus A7N8X2.0, Sempron 2500+, Radeon 9600, SBLive etc. in a generic beige ATX tower.

I already have working examples of both those boards, but finding any decent nforce 2 board is getting harder these days so they will likely still get used.

The case system 1 was in is the main reason for the purchase, as my original Athlon 1400 build back in 2001 was in a HX45. It's a bit yellowed and has a couple of spots of surface corrosion, but it's not been modified. It'll be a good restoration project, I may post a worklog or make a video on it.

adz, baronbaldric, Pierre32 and 3 others like this.
  7. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

This is my favourite era of computers, it’s when I first started getting interested in computer hardware and the Athlon vs Pentium 4 days were so exciting. Those were early high school days for me. I remember going to the Melbourne GP in I think 2002, on one of the quali days, and AMD had a marquee set up to advertise Athlon XP with a few dozen desktops showing off the latest Formula 1 PC game. There were AMD grid girls too.

I also remember talking to my father about Athlon vs Pentium, and how Athlon was better for gaming even though it clocked slower, and things like IPC. 100% he was just humouring me and he had NFI what I was talking about.

Anyway those systems sound awesome! I remember being so jealous of my mate who had a Radeon 9600 XT. I’m keen to see some photos!

adz, baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  8. Mattip

Mattip Member

[​IMG]

Thanks to the fellow OCAU member for letting this go, will take pride and place in the creation of the games room.

Phido, Vanne, adz and 8 others like this.
  9. rugger

rugger Member

As much as I enjoyed my AMD Athlon XP CPUs, I feel that it isn't really the best era for retro computers.

Windows 98 gaming can normally be done on a high end P3 system without issue. P3's tend to be more reliable, and don't draw crazy amps from the 5V rail.

Windows XP gaming is generally better done on an Athlon 64 or Core 2 system.

It didn't stop me from building an Athlon XP 2000+ system with Nvidia geforce 4 4200ti GPU though :)

adz, baronbaldric and MrMaestro like this.
  10. rugger

rugger Member

Agghhh, my retro rant.

Everything taking forever to arrive to me in the post.

Still waiting for the soldering iron I ordered back on the 20th February. Supposed to be here 4th March ... still not happy, will be putting in a Item not received request and ask for refund if it doesn't turn up in the next couple of days.

11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Grabbed a few PS3 titles from cashies for $18. Borderlands 2, Twisted Metal and Assassins Creed 2. Added to my pile of shame.

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

how is AC2 on the pile, get on that. BL2, meh.

13. elvis

Counter opinion: AC2 is a yawn fest, and you're missing nothing.

(Filed under reasons why metacritic "objective" percentage scores are kind of useless when subjective opinion matters so much :) ).

14. rugger

rugger Member

Meh, have the PC version of AC2. Had fun playing it, under much higher resolution and performance than a PS3 would have done it lol.

I guess if you were chasing a full PS3 collection, you would need that.

Sort of like Bayonetta. I played it on the PS3 first, then they had to go port it to PC. So ended up rebuying for PC and it was much more performant there. (Boyonetta was a bad bad port for the PS3)

Although if you haven't played Ni no Kuni, as a PS3 owner, I'm not sure i could ever forgive that.

baronbaldric likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

AC isn't for everyone, in my list of completed games is ALL AC games except for Rogue, the 2D ones, Odyssey and Valhalla - yes I like Assassin's Creed games. :D

I just noticed you have it on PC, now I'm confused.

Ni no Kuni is on MY pile of shame, but i was waiting for all the versions to settle - PC it will be.

16. elvis

I care not for the graphical enhancements. I found the utterly rote gameplay to be tedious, and 4K 144FPS wouldn't improve that for me.

Who me? No, I've got them all on PS3 (legit copies).

Played a few hours of 1, hated it. Was urged to play 2 "because it's better". Hated it too.

Keen to try Odyssey though, as I hear it's a very different game.

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah i meant rugger as he posted while i was composing my reply.

don't play Odyssey, it's FAR too long and copy pasta'd all over the place - Origins was better.

18. rugger

rugger Member

If you don't like AC gameplay, then it won't matter what platform it is on or how high the performance is, it will suck for you. I'm not going to say the gameplay in AC is revolutionary in any real way, but I had fun.

Anyone who does like the AC gameplay though, and wants to play the original trilogy, do yourself a favor and skip the PS3 versions in lou of a more capable platform to play them on, if at all possible

power likes this.
  19. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I only got it yesterday. My PS3 is mainly played by my nephews. They gave me some games for my birthday. I am getting bad ideas of hooking it up to a Dell 24/27" LCD in my bedroom or office to play games as I dont use it much in the lounge room. Or get a second PS3 for $88 inc 1 controller.

I seem to go to my DC and Saturn for gaming (in my bedroom, guess who is single). I f'ing hate updates just to play a game, hence the PS3 not getting much love. Plus Pi's. Finally updating my old Win7 workstation that I havent used for 2 years except to burn CDRs (downloaded on a laptop before transfering via USB stick). I dont know but Covid seems to have killed gaming for me (no WFH for me). I envey people like elvis with a dedicated games room. I am lookinng at some renos to solve that.

baronbaldric likes this.
  20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

early 2000s splooge...
    http://www.dansdata.com/sg400.htm

Mattip and MrMaestro like this.