Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

2. rugger

rugger Member

An example from my own experience was Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky. I had a lot of fun playing this, but it seems to have reviewed poorly by critics, but liked by the people who bought it.

On the other hand, Star Trek PS3, seems to be universally panned by both users and critics, so I'll keep my expectations really low on that.

3. badmofo

badmofo Member

Nar I'm thinking of games like Boiling Point: Road to Hell, Gothic 3, etc. Games that need the community to step in and polish the turd for years until it turns into a (subjective) diamond.

Licenced cash grabs can go to hell - I'm looking at you Daytona for PC.

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

oh man Boiling Point, that game was so revolutionary when it came out. I never went back to it but had hours of entertainment on release.

It ran like total arse on my pov spec PC at the time and I pretty much had nfi what I was doing but I had fun.

5. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yeah great game at heart but too wonky for me to enjoy these days. I got really into the next couple of RPG FPS from the Boiling Point devs - neither of which got a western release (back in the day) but were equally as ambitious and interesting. I spent countless hours making an unpacking tool and working on the English translations - it was mainly that Wesp5 (Bloodlines) guy and I but we got it patched up to pretty dang playable.

Hey look one of them's on Steam - I should see if my 'badmofo' reference is still in the dialog:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/546230/Xenus_2_White_gold/

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    MUTMAN likes this.
  6. rugger

rugger Member

My KSGER soldering station arrived today.

it seems to perform pretty well, but I am not a terribly big fan of the T12-K soldering tip ... too sharp and tends to stab everything. I think I'll get a pack of different tips and maybe hit the sharp end of the K tip with a little bit of sandpaper to round it off a bit.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

got some new controllers. Couldn't settle on a colour and figure that in years to come these will probably be hard to come by.

My thoughts, ordering through Amazon was good however the first black one i got had a dodgy right shoulder so i've had to return it, returning to Amazon US is a pita.

Syncing and using them is pretty good, I miss the clickyness of the original controller a bit but not a huge amount. The rest of the controller feels good, like.

I haven't used them on anything but the Saturn so far.

upload_2021-3-9_21-17-50.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    baronbaldric, adz, Vanne and 5 others like this.
  8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Clear one is my favourite. How much and where from?

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Amazon, different prices 50-60ish.

I think the skeleton is my favourite too.

Daft_Munt, Vanne and qwertylesh like this.
  10. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Go easy on the sandpaper - T12 tips have integrated heating element

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. rugger

rugger Member

Yeah, since the K tip is called a knife tip (learned that last night), I'm not sure what I should have been expecting, other then it to be sharp and cut things if not careful

12. aleckon

aleckon Member

I think I'm going to need some help. Been lurking on this forum for a while and I blame it now for my recent spending spree. Had a couple of lowish offers out there in eBay and gumtree that both got accepted.
    Currently have a Roland SC55 and a S88pro incoming. How did this even happen. Why do I need both?
    Will post and request setup when they arrive.
    Going to have to shift some N64 gear to cover this "investment" at home :)

adz, MUTMAN, Pierre32 and 1 other person like this.
  13. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

They sound and look cool! Everyone I showed my SC-55 was impressed (except my wife, obviously lol)!

MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  14. rugger

rugger Member

You will never know know how desperately jealous I am of you all.

Hopefully I can get the Pi going as a synth and sort of join the club!

15. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Do a Pi thing! All hardware will eventually die off. My SC-55 buttons are already wonky and MT-32 plastic is brittle and looks like it's falling apart at the edges.

Aside from having the modules, you will also need a ton of extras depending on how amazingly elite you want your setup to be. We are talking powered audio mixers and midi switchers, desk real estate, and cobweb of wires everywhere. And I'm not even talking about the ultra-rare and expensive smart mode ISA midi cards yet.

I got into the external midi game years ago so there is no way out until the modules die :D, but I use MUNT for convenience if I just want a quick session in one of my fave games. It's a shame Roland put that VSTi plugin behind a subscription paywall. It was a great alternative for SC-55 lovers. These days a sound font is still a viable solution for SC-55 sound, but no Pi-based alternative yet.

rugger and MUTMAN like this.
  16. hutts24

hutts24 Member

This is one my coolest acquisitions in some time ... 2 * 16MB 30 pin RAM, new from MacSales here: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/30PS16MB/. I found this site thanks to a kind Vogons poster putting up the link in a thread. That's the cheapest source I could find at the time for new or used modules.

Here they are sealed up: owc ram unopened.JPG
    Here they are in my SB32 CT3670: owc ram in sb32.JPG

After installing them and being excited that they worked perfectly in the SB32, I was really disappointed to learn that the MIDI emulation doesn't work with DOS protected mode games.:(

baronbaldric, adz and rugger like this.
  17. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nice! Bummer about the MIDI limitation, but apparently it works if you launch the games from Win9x?

I almost want to grab a couple of those modules just in case I ever need them. But I think that would be a little hoardy of me.

I swear I read on Vogons that someone found a way to access the VSTi free & legally via one of their other software products. Trying to find it again...

[edit] So I did not remember it 100% correctly. Free and legal is a stretch, but evidently there is a method to get maximum value out of old demo releases. Here's the thread. In post #6, points B, C, and F are interesting:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=76613

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    baronbaldric likes this.
  18. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yes that's been my experience, and with ~30MB of RAM to play around with you can load up some excellent sound fonts - 'masterpiece' comes to mind. I found the SF loading process to be so slow though that I went back to the 4MB Creative GM font in the end, still sounds great to my ears.

adz, hutts24 and Pierre32 like this.
  19. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Yes, I've read about using it unde Win9x, but I really don't like using Win9x. I should have written that the DOS MIDI emulation doesn't work in plain DOS with protected mode games.

One of the Vogons members by the name of 'Bristlehog' attempted to make a replacement MIDI emulation TSR for SB AWE cards some years back and got so far as making a standalone MIDI player program. I've been meaning to contact them and ask why they stopped at that point, because I'm thinking about having a crack at it myself if I can manage my time and discipline well enough.

I haven't heard of the 'masterpiece' sound font. I must look that one up. The two that seem to stand out by peoples' recommendations are 'finegm' and 'chrorium'. Also, I noticed that the SF loading process is really slow if using an EMM program or UMBPCI.sys. AWEUTIL will load itself into upper memory and I don't think this can be suppressed. It may be that the program functions far slower when in upper memory but I haven't put time into working this out just yet. When I use AWEUTIL in conventional memory in the absence of EMM/UMB, it is WAY FASTER!

baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I bought some new RAM for my GVP HD8+ sidecar I think it might have even been from these guys a while back - it's so cool that you can still do this. Pretty sure it was being made as it was used in some type of musical thingy.