Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. rugger

rugger Member

You will probably never remove something like a PCI slot with a heatgun ... at least not in one piece.

I have transplanted that PCI slot into an Asus K7V (Athlon Slot A CPU) and that fixed that particular PCI slot. I have 2 more PCI slots to move!

I have more success with high heat on the heat gun, and I don't turn on suction until the leg starts moving. If it doesn't get all the solder, add fresh solder using the soldering iron and try again.

Vanne likes this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Different tools for different needs. Surface mount stuff is best with hot air station, versus a desolder gun for through-hole work.

genxor, RogerWiIco and adz like this.
  3. Vanne

Vanne Member

you and me both mate...

ill need to save up for that though..

4. rugger

rugger Member

adz, genxor and Pierre32 like this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Nforce 2 boards were awesome!! good catch mate. :)

baronbaldric and rugger like this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

895223-ati-hd4870x2_001.jpg
    Just won this baby on ebay.. will go nicely with my Asus and gainward one..

8. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I remember RMA'ing a couple of Gigabyte 4870 X2's at my old job. Still remember how heavy the heatsinks are on those dual GPU cards, li'l bricks!

Vanne likes this.
  9. badmofo

badmofo Member

I spent a small fortune on one of those bad boys back in the day - good tax return that year! I never liked it much; hot, noisy, driver issues - when it worked it was great but I never felt I was getting 100% out of it and I haven't bothered with dual GPU solutions since.

Vanne and rugger like this.
  10. rugger

rugger Member

Yep, I have found 450C to be a good setting to get heat into the joints (especially with lead free solder on a multi-layer computer motherboards).

I will adjust my method as well for components on fragile boards where manufacturer has bent the pin over before soldering. Add fresh leaded solder, then use soldering iron to straighten pin, then attack it with the desoldering gun.

JidaiGeki and genxor like this.
  11. Vanne

Vanne Member

The Gainward i bought in Adelaide, way back when they were first out. never had any driver issues with them, i also still have the mobo i used with it. an Msi P45 Neo 3, with a Wolfdale stuck in it. I sold that for the Asus card (i still have, but might be dead in the water after i got it back after loaning it to my little niece) and bios modified that Asus card to run faster. Great little (lol they are NOT little as WuZMoT said.) cards, prob my fave cards as my previous setup was a dual GTX 7900 Sli setup, now /that/ was a hassle. :D

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

MUTMAN, Flamin Joe, atmo and 3 others like this.
  13. rugger

rugger Member

Its .... very purple!

Vanne likes this.
  14. hutts24

hutts24 Member

I've scored a few interesting pieces of ewaste recently. One of them is this PCI-X card from Network Appliance. It appears to be a NVRAM card. It doesn't have a battery so I'm guessing it draws standby power from the PSU or one of the 2 pin connectors is intended to receive power from a source. It has a big ORCA FPGA chip on it and a SDRAM DIMM in a slot. That's about all I know about it. Finding more information about it has been pretty difficult so far. I wondered if FPGA expert elvis might know something about it.
    net appliance orca.JPG

X86 haters should stop reading at this point.

I found a nondescript AGP card and took it home. I installed it and powered up my P3 PC. Hey cool, it's an i740! I don't think people were ever really impressed with this GPU, but today it is still the only discrete GPU that Intel has released. I've been sort of longing to have one again ever since I lent my original card to a family member and he traded it in with his old PC when he upgraded at some computer shop. It's a no name budget card with video signal quality to match but I still like it!
    noname i740.JPG

I also scored a Gigabyte GA-6BXC wth some minor damage to the battery holder, but it still holds the battery just fine. I don't know if it works yet, but I'll be testing it out son. I now have two of these - the other is Canberra.

genxor, rugger, Vanne and 6 others like this.
  15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Out of my wheelhouse, but a lot of ye olde network stuff relied on ASICs or FPGAs to accelerate things that general purpose CPUs were no good at.

I've even seen these pop up in weird database appliances that pair with column based storage engines to do insanely fast queries back in an era before the term "big data" existed.

Of course today it's mostly GPUs that are the magic catch all solution to every speed problem. But there was some pretty whacky custom stuff there for a while.

MUTMAN and hutts24 like this.
  16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Dig both of these!

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

A lady down the road was dumping a box of /old/stuff.. Was chatting to her and she gave me a box full of old routers and cables, but there was one little suprise in there.. Gen 1 Apple TV. Not sure they are usable much these days, but nifty non the less... from what ive seen, even Linux struggles on these? also came with 2 of those while mac mini size apple routers.. again, no idea if they are still of any use?

IMG_20210330_084448.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  18. rugger

rugger Member

Woot, finally, 3 PCI slots replaced on the Asus K7V - Slot A motherboard.

Definitely worth the work, as motherboard is becoming less and less recalcitrant the more I work on it. It must have been stuck in a shed for a long time, or have come to some other mischief before I paid too much for it :)

19. Vanne

Vanne Member

x800silent.jpg
    added an X800 pro to the AGP arsenal. Love the NV4 silencer.. normally these coolers were more than i just payed for the whole card. This will work nicely if i wanna run XP on my ECS box. The last range of cards to have 9x drivers, tops out at the 850xt, which i already have. :D

bester, FIREWIRE1394, hutts24 and 2 others like this.
  20. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Buying a mid range GPU and putting a ~$100 after market cooler on it
    upload_2021-4-2_9-25-37.jpeg