Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nice one. I put a boxed copy of London (PC) on ebay last year and it went fast.

I haven't seen that GTA3 cover art before! Just like an 80s movie poster. Love it.

2. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Black label copies of the double pack/collectors edition prices can be insane. Most listings are international so even if you see a good deal the currency conversion and freight blows it up a lot. I didn't plan on spending that much but it was the only game I was missing and the obsession of completion took hold.

Pretty sure the GTA3 cover variant is PAL region only. I love it so much not just because it looks great but I think it shows more of the character content of the game like the VC/SA covers do. Despite being a bit clunky in the engine evolution GTA3 remains one of my favourites in the franchise.

Pierre32 likes this.
  3. Vanne

Vanne Member

WM2.jpg Watermelon N64 and controller.. check:thumbup:

and Fire Atomic Orange.. check! also in the bag.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    MrMaestro, WuZMoT, JidaiGeki and 2 others like this.
  4. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

I agree that the CMS music in Monkey Island sounds awesome. However I couldn't really find many more examples of games that made good use of CMS and stereo. Many other titles sound downright dreadful IMHO.

5. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Yeah, seems that it's a bit like installing a GUS. You get a handful of "woah" and lots of "oh." And not all CMS supported games actually work with it in this form, so it's a bit of a process just weeding out the games that do. I thought there might be a definitive list on Vogons, but I haven't found one yet.

Paku Paku is one of the essentials. Once you've heard it sound like an actual arcade game, there's no going back.

BiggusDickus likes this.
  6. badmofo

badmofo Member

Silpheed sounds pretty rad with CMS but I admit that I didn't mess around with it for long, I'm an OPL3 man. I've long since sold the relevant SB 1.5 that I was using.

BiggusDickus likes this.
  7. rugger

rugger Member

Well, I ordered a set of those CMS chips from monotech yesterday, hopefully they work well for me too.

Pierre32 likes this.
  8. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Ultima 6 is pretty good on CMS too, IMO.

Pierre32 likes this.
  9. Adona

Adona Member

I got Crazy Taxi on PS2 today for $8

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  10. Adona

Adona Member

also picked up GTA 3 on PS2 for $6 today. found it in a place called CEX.

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. Vanne

Vanne Member

I love Cex, its part of my fave activity..oh wait... ...

WuZMoT, MUTMAN and badmofo like this.
  12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

They're ok for disc stuff. There's one near me with a decent amount of stock that's not just your usual endless train of sports and wrestling games that nobody wants second hand.

Prices are ok too. Often better than eBay which is surprising.

Nobody's got a huge amount of cartridge stock (Eddie's does ok, but still not enormous). But that's not surprising at all.

13. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

I've picked up quite an amount of stuff from the ps2 and newer consoles, however, I strongly suggest testing the disks (I normally dump them) to make sure they are okay. I've had a high failure rate from CEX.

Side note : Any other places like eddies around Brisbane/gold coast I should be checking out?

rugger likes this.
  14. i_trin

i_trin Member

6807C8E5-60DC-4662-ADB9-0331C99280EB.jpeg
    working on a few gameboy lately

adz, elvis, rugger and 3 others like this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

lol, just purchased this...

NUJ14912110000.jpg

Now i am not really a fan of the Zelda gold console, BUT... this sucker came with the expansion pack for less than even the Onyx console goes for by itself.. (plus free shipping) gotta love that... (sadly, no box) Itll make for a great box to experiment with my rubbish soldering skills to install Tim's RGB mod..

I think since i had that Convo with Elvis about cheaP n64 expansion packs someone must have been listening and increased the prices on them. now hard to find one under 60 bucks US (with shipping).. This console was 105 US /with/ Free shipping.. thats pretty good..

NUS-001(JPN) which will mean its compatible with tims mod.

Edit: still on the fence what to do about my Clear blue console, the bottom (white clear) on one side is extremely yellowed and hasnt responded at all to the retro bright.. Id rather NOT paint it as its a really nice console..but rather hating on the yellowing atm....

*sigh*...

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    rugger, qwertylesh and WuZMoT like this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Ahh, is this a new screen mod? looks sweet!

17. Adona

Adona Member

Might I ask where about's Eddie's is? I'd be interested at having a look

18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Adona and elvis like this.
  19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've not found anyone as good as Eddie, either in stock availability or attitude. He's a top block, and really loves helping out folks who love the old games.

I'll tell you all a pretty heart warming story, actually. His store is pretty close to where I live, and my local grocery shop location, so I'm in there quite often. What I notice is, his store seems to attract a lot of folks who are intellectually disabled, ASD / on the spectrum, etc. I've long wondered why, and I think it's to do with old games being both excellent single player experiences, and often much simpler than modern games that can sometimes be incredibly complex and detailed in no only in story and gameplay, but in their controls as well.

But, every time I'm in there and those folks wander in, Eddie jumps to help them. He'll ask them what sort of titles they like, and will spend HOURS digging out games and recommending titles that they like. He's not making a killing from this. It's not worth his time to spend an hour helping someone buy a $15 game. But he does it all the same, and clearly loves doing it.

Such a nice bloke. It's really tough to find people on the buying/selling side of retro who are in it for the right reasons. Everything these days feels like it's a quick money grab, and the love of the item itself is a distant after thought. But Eddie impresses me every time I speak to him, whether it's his technical or historical game knowledge, or just simply how much he gives a shit about the games and the people who want to play them.

Anyways, enough gushing from me. Just wanted to share a bit about something that made me feel pretty good of late.

20. Vanne

Vanne Member

Nice to hear stories like this every now and then, shows you what difference one person can make. Thanks for sharing man!

elvis likes this.