Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. callan

callan Member

Prior to this one I'd only owned one Voodoo card: a Voodoo3 2000 which I loved. had a passive heatsink on it that got hotter than hades - I had to jerry-rig a cooling fan on it. Man I loved that card, but I tragically don't know what became of it.
    My stepdaughter had a contemporaneous Voodoo1 - you know - the ones with passthrough video - and she used it to play Wing Commander on it. (I had to make do with a basic "metal" 3d card, that had to be underclocked with vidspeed to avoid artifacts).

I bought this specimen from OCAU user PsychoticOrc in 2017 (I never lose an Email). I don't know of it's history before then.

I have a secret weapon I've been holding in reserve: 2 unopened, New Old-stock OS IBM VGA crt monitors, currently in storage - They've been in storage for 15+ years. When I get to stoke up this video card, I reckon it deserves a shiney new monitor!.

Vanne, BiggusDickus, rugger and 8 others like this.
  2. bYrd

bYrd Member

Maybe a reason why 3DFX hardware is sought after is that it just kept going - I had a few Voodoo 3s where the PCB had faded to yellow (previously green) around the core from heat. That was when they were relatively new cards. Gave them away ... probably on here, not the best move.

3. bester

bester Member

Picked up a couple of "Hercules 9503-18 Terminator 3D / Dx S3 86C375 4MB Edo RAM Retro Graphics Video" cards from electromyne. They are just spares for my 486 machines, I find they are a reasonable compatible choice for DOS demos and gaming:

[​IMG]

MUTMAN, cdtoaster, Vanne and 5 others like this.
  4. mwd

mwd Member

Nice cards!

Vanne likes this.
  5. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

that's pretty sweet, the S3 Trio64s were dime a dozen but I've never come across a ViRGE (or a Trio64V+ actually).

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

nice to see them populated.. all the S3 cards ive had in the past were bare.. :)

7. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I'd been eyeing this video card on ebay for a while. It's basically a Tseng ET4000, the main appeal that it would be a nice pairing with my boxed Cardinal sound card. But the cost + US shipping just wasn't worth it.

Then it popped up in the Vogons acquisitions thread: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=964064#p964064

I commented, basically congrats and glad it landed in good hands. He said he was only interested in archiving the included software, and if I wanted to cover shipping and he'd send the hardware when he was done. This scene sometimes! What a champion.

upload_2021-6-11_16-25-29.png

I've got a return address, so I might have to send a care package of quality Australian snack foods.

adz, bester, sammy_b0i and 10 others like this.
  8. mwd

mwd Member

Very nice!

Vanne and Pierre32 like this.
  9. badmofo

badmofo Member

Congrats, glad it landed in good hands!

There are some legends out there - I had a thread on Amibay for ages asking if anyone had a boxed PAS16 to sell; they super rare boxed. A guy on Vogons eventually noticed it and pinged me to say he had one spare and I could have it for the cost of shipping. Best damn packing job I've seen too, the family gathered round to admire it (the packing job that is).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    adz, Pierre32, MUTMAN and 2 others like this.
  10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i see what you're doing here :lol::lol:

adz, Pierre32, Vanne and 1 other person like this.
  11. Vanne

Vanne Member

bought something that isnt retro, just to make my retro life a tad bit easier.. USB floppy drive... just so i dont have to break out the compaq everytime i want to put some new Midi's on some floppies for my Roland MT-90.. Duke is cool and all, but after listening to that for the last 4 weeks straight, its time for some new tunes....

the main song on mine kicks off around 6.5 mins, I am thinking Monkey Island rap..

Pierre32, mwd and MUTMAN like this.
  12. DRAGONKZ

DRAGONKZ Member

I bought Sledge Sega New Astro City and will hopefully work with mR_CaESaR to restore/fix it a bit :)

The plan is to run a darksoft CPS2 setup, and also try to fit a darksoft CPS3 and CPS1 setup all in there running off a riddledtv switcher/condenser setup… time will tell whether it’s physically possible to fit it all or not!

2B8EA545-1826-4AEA-B27F-CD92A2F4DC7D.jpeg

elvis, Vanne, Sledge and 3 others like this.
  13. Sledge

Sledge Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    DRAGONKZ, Vanne and Pierre32 like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Mrs bought me this for my brirthday (she was horrified that it was a kit and thought she bought the wrong thing but I assured her this was intentional, lol), pretty happy with it. Only complaint would be that assembly of the actual case is a bit meh.

upload_2021-6-17_8-18-35.png

veeeeeery finger printy but looks better in person than photos.

upload_2021-6-17_8-19-11.png

i should have mentioned it but for anyone wondering it's this.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    adz, Vanne, Sledge and 4 others like this.
  15. Sledge

Sledge Member

So it works with A500 as well?
    How much and from where?

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Amiga 500 is direct wire for the joystick point. Utterly trivial to make or mod a joystick.

A plastic project box from Jaycar, joystick and buttons off eBay, DB9 plug, done.

[edit] If any OCAUers are in or near Brisbane, I have a massive shed full of tools, and can help you make joysticks for any console or computer (I used to make and sell them, have made half a dozen arcade machines over the years). PM me if you want to build something.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    adz, hutts24, Vanne and 3 others like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

it does, the little controller board is the real secret sauce it allows you to convert up to a button (the green one) on the fly (which I'm reliably informed would make elvis very happy) and all the other CD32 buttons are mapped - pretty sure mrs power bought it direct from Monster for the amount of money on their website.

https://monsterjoysticks.com/retro-gaming-joystick-kits/cd32-retro-joystick-kits

The little board is available separately for those who wish to build their own or have elvis build something for them (what? you offered!). I mostly wanted to get it from them complete to support someone building and selling Amiga stuffs, i'm funny like that now.

https://monsterjoysticks.com/cd32-retro-joystick-interface

I can also recommend these guys if you need something less all singing and all dancing - I now have two but haven't taken any piccies, you order them from China and a month later they appear and make you very happy. I've seen people mod the second button to up out of the box they have some extra cabling that might do that for you - I'm happy with the out of box experience, but it defaults to space which is handy for games that use space (like Turrican) for power ups or smart bombs.

https://retroradionics.co.uk/?fbcli...TARI-standard-Joystick/p/168982750/category=0

https://zxrenew.co.uk/ArcadeR-c58672270

now if anyone can help me make this happen i'd be grateful. I have an HS-0136 that I'd love to upgrade (probably just the stick) and return to it's former glory (or even better) but that front panel art really puts a dent in the process. I love this guys work.

adz, MUTMAN, Vanne and 2 others like this.
  18. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've been resisting buying any MIDI devices from Serdashop for years because I can only use one wavetable daughter-board a time and I have some nice ones already, but that evil genius invented a doo-dad for running daughter-boards externally and then invented 2 DBs that I simply had to own so I had some beers for courage and put in an order.

The X2GS includes an official Roland patchset and a 48MB user bank so that's a lot of awesome right there, and he's also built an ESS based board - a cheap little chipset but sounds great.

That plastic housing holds the 'CHiLL' adapter which lets you connect to the PC via the gameport or whatever MPU401 you're using - in theory now I can switch DBs in and out as much as I like without having to pull my whole setup apart.

Haven't tried it yet but should be great - not cheap but the guy is a pleasure to deal with and I feel good about supporting him.

upload_2021-6-18_17-33-51.jpeg

adz, DonutKing, bester and 7 others like this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

adz, DonutKing, hutts24 and 3 others like this.
  20. Vanne

Vanne Member

Sweet!, meanwhile i am still waiting for my floppy drive to arrive.... lovely boards guys.. jelly as F!

FIREWIRE1394 and Pierre32 like this.