1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. datfreak

datfreak Member

I never owned one in the day but remember playing a 32x game at a mates place as a kid.
    Found these locally. The 32x and cd are missing power supplies. And the prev owner said the cd won't power on, so will have to do some fault finding(searching online says it may be just a Pico fuse).
    I'm so happy with this find, now to find a game to test it with

IMG_20210629_221529_resize_6.jpg

adz, GumbyNoTalent, DRAGONKZ and 11 others like this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Great find there datfreak :thumbup::thumbup:
    much jelly

datfreak likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

https://www.retrosales.com.au/collections/power-supplies/sega

Have bought a few power supplies from there, and they've all be ripple/noise free, which is great for old consoles.

Megadrive flash carts will work with a 32X. The cartridge, pin and ROM layouts were identical, they just relied on the unique hardware.

Likewise there's no copy protection on a MegaCD at the optical later, so any burned CD-R where the region of the game matches the BIOS region will work.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    datfreak likes this.
  4. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

His also on Amazon if it makes it easier. I also have quite a few of his power supplies and they work well

datfreak and elvis like this.
  5. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Wow the tower of power. Nice pickup :-D

adz, rugger and datfreak like this.
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Yeah awesome pickup. still on the hunt for a megadrive aswell...

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

oooh yeah, tower of power.

awesome.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    rugger and datfreak like this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

pffft, i found you a overpriced wrong one. what else do you need ?

:lol::lol:

Vanne likes this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lolol. Thanks for looking though bud, really appreciate it :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. rugger

rugger Member

Ewww, looking at this PSU in detail, it is a thermalmaster 420W with an arrow computer brand sticker on it. Given this, and the caps in it are already starting to go, it goes straight onto the junk pile (and stays there) Not worth fixing, as it will never be a safe PSU.

adz, breech and MUTMAN like this.
  11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

MAX JELLY... I did own one in the day, want to own one today but space and time currently inhibit this.

datfreak likes this.
  12. Vanne

Vanne Member

I never had one either, but I remember the ad campaign for it. That made a huge impression on kid me.

datfreak likes this.
  13. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Thanks for the link. I didnt realise there was a local supply of pico PSU. Hmm price difference vs delivery time...

14. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

I bought a pre-flashed Pseudo Saturn Kai (Saturn Action Replay with a custom flash) from them. Was more expensive than China and/or buying an AR off eBay and doing it myself, but I got it in 3 days delivered to my door and the hard work done by someone else. Well worth it for time-strapped me.

Daft_Munt and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  15. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I need help... I picked this up off facebook for nothing:
    206595685_10159255923892733_6870792828673982352_n.jpg
    I was only after the copper stock cooler to upgrade one I picked up off here recently.
    But get the whole lot home and now I don't want to be rid of the rest of it.
    it is:
    Asus M2N68 board
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    X2 1GB Strontium 800MHz DDR2
    X2 2GB Strontium 800MHz DDR2
    Seasonic SS-550HT active PFC F3 PSU
    Asus DRW-20B1LT (DVD burner with lightscribe! now if only I'd seen my lightscribe discs in the last decade)
    Pioneer DVR-106D (another beige drive, and hopefully working for my army)
    all in an unknown, dodgy case. turned on no issue, so cleaned up NATURALLY.

Problem is, why do the CPU and PSU have to be so good? The 1 single part I wanted will turn into a complete rebuild, and I hardly have room to move as it is. I do have a Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H here with an Athlon 64 X2 4850e.... could use this 6000+ cpu instead because the gigabyte board supports SLI... And I've been saving a pair of GTX 7800's for something special for a while.
    Edit: BAH I was thinking of a different board with SLI, this GB only has Crossfire.. BOO!

With all this rebuilding, and collecting of bits, no wonder I never have any time to use the damn computers I'm forever fuckin' building and rebuilding.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    adz, hutts24, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  16. rugger

rugger Member

Haha, this is so god damn true!

adz and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  17. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Thanks again. Hides the credit card after 2 beers. The DC stick looks good. Now thinking of DCHDMI...$160 to install? Saturn 3D controller...

adz and elvis like this.
  18. DRAGONKZ

DRAGONKZ Member

My USA shipment arrived and my friend has received and started unwrapping/checking over the machines for me… some pics below:

DE8A24C4-C038-4AF7-8CAD-CB5FC3879F91.jpg F49AB987-F71C-4152-AA2F-9E1203117676.jpg 0BC1E77C-89F7-4867-9AA2-DCA04565FD59.jpg 49A7892E-C36C-4570-9892-F1A63A3F18D9.jpeg DD8865F8-1EB1-490A-8A60-B459B3D4EE2D.jpeg

datfreak, Utetopia, Vanne and 8 others like this.
  19. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Not exactly a recent acquisition, but an acquisition I've only just tried to use today. It's a Tsengt ET4000 W32P with the V33 'Viper' video processing chip. It also has a Crystal CS4920-CL chip on it which I believe is some kind of audio controller. There is also a Zoran ZR36100PQC chip on it which is an MPEG decoder chip. For connectors, it has VGA, S-Video, composite video and what look like 3 stereo sockets. It looks like this card is intended for accelerated multimedia playback but I don't have experience with such cards.

It turns out that it doesn't work. This isn't surprising at all, as it is missing a couple of SMD things off the back. One of the missing components looks like a tall ceramic capacitor with 3 points of contact. The side of it is red with '101' printed on it. You can see it in the picture taped to the back of the card near where it was attached. It must have taken a hit previously in ewaste because it fell off when I was just handling it normally. There are a few more of those on the front side of the card. If anyone knows what they are, I'd like to know thanks.

My P3 PC only recognises the card as a single PCI video controller device. Windows 2000 thinks it's a ET6000 but it clearly isn't it. Windows 2000 device manager also says it can't start because it's malfunctioning or something like that. The monitor detects a signal from the VGA connector, but the signal is blank. If anyone can tell me how this card is intended to be used or software that can use it (assuming I can fix it), that'd be appreciated. Cheers.
    tseng back.JPG tseng front.JPG

20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Have to ask power but I think things like that should still count! I'm sure there are plenty of people that have got tonnes of stuff they got a good 10-20 years before joining OCAU that they still haven't touched... Or maybe it's just me.

Or maybe we need a "forgotten/REacquired/assumed lost or stolen/Been in storage for 14 years/Broken in 1982 and I finally got a new one/Been meaning to get to it for 5 years but then I got busy" Thread?

Vanne, adz and MUTMAN like this.