1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I haven't used Hakchi2 in ages since I set my SNES mini up but I seem to recall experiencing something like this. There's some nuance to the way the program displays games if I recall. I'm fairly confident the games you added are still there it's just not showing them for some reason. I definitely recall some trial and error until I got everything the way I wanted too so maybe the best advice is do a total curation from the get go.

supasaiyan likes this.
  2. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I have similar vague memories. The interface was less than intuitive.

3. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

So Sammyb0i linked a gumtree post a few months ago in the retro bargins thread. I thought that'd be cool, but was busy and didn't much think of it.

Until last night, one of my Huginn digests came up with "Vintage CPUs".. Well, that's a lot of old CPUs.. for $110, that's a good price. So I got speaking to the seller, and he said "i've got boards and ram and other miscellaneous stuff to go with them".. so another $200 and he even drove it over for me.

After a quick socially distanced and contactless trade, I found out that the seller is the grandson of a bloke who has passed, and left a lot of his hobbies behind - and the bloke is sorting through everything at the moment. There's apparently a lot of NOS cases and mac stuff too that still need to find homes. Hopefully he sends me some pictures

I unpacked everything quickly in the Garage.. and well.. wow.

Fellow retro OCAUers, I'm going to need your help with a good chunk of of this stuff.

1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg index.jpg

Vanne, JaC, Flamin Joe and 7 others like this.
  4. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I did see a post today for a tonne of vintage mac stuff for $1000, there was an SE/30, a CRT and a bunch of peripherals. My usual move is to tag Hater because I love when he spends money, but I can't even find the listing any more.

adz likes this.
  5. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Golly gosh, that's a haul. Look at all those 5x86's!

BiggusDickus and andrewbt like this.
  6. badmofo

badmofo Member

We are here to help! Looks like an interesting haul - if those NOS cases mentioned are AT then I'd be keen to have a look for sure

adz and andrewbt like this.
  7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

See if he'll let you take photos and catalogue what's there and report back here... then go see him with a community shopping list :p

Daft_Munt and andrewbt like this.
  8. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

Looks like a different seller

9. badmofo

badmofo Member

I snagged this recently, mainly for the sweet box art but I also have some nostalgia for this card. It reviewed well on release so I went with it over the GTX, which had double the RAM and was clocked a bit higher I think, because obviously the GTS was cheaper. I always somewhat regretted not investing in the GTX so that's the card I use today in my XP build, but this will look nice on the shelf of joy.

IMG_6475.jpg IMG_6474.jpg

Vanne, Flamin Joe, rugger and 3 others like this.
  10. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

Yeah, I think any interest would be good. Depending on what's left and interest, I'd be more than happy to store it (Storage space at home is significant)

Vanne, Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  11. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Looks like you have a stack of 486 vlb boards definitely interested to see what you have!

andrewbt likes this.
  12. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

adz and sammy_b0i like this.
  13. Hater

Hater Member

Cheers buuuuut too much peripheral for me. I like that SE though. Hmm maybe jeremybh1 bit I’m sure he already knows about it and have 10 copies of all that stuff anyway…

14. Rubens

Rubens Member

Picked this up for a Athlon A system, anyone know the likely hood of the caps still being ok? Hasn’t arrived yet but I’ll open it, clean it out and probably change the fan.
    I don’t have the equipment to re cap things yet so if anyone on the north shore of Sydney could drop me a pm that does would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

andrewbt and rugger like this.
  15. rugger

rugger Member

Yeah, I'm on the wrong side of AU to help with your recap job Rubens :)

Looks like a perfectly cromulent generic PSU. Have to see how good the guts are to determine if it is likely to be any good.

16. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

So I cleaned up the workbenches from last weekends work and set about sorting/layout today's acquisitions. (Don't worry about the surface.. it's clean.. just pockmarked from burns from when I was doing gas-less MIG)

I've also been chatting to the bloke who sold me all this, he's send me pics of more stuff he's pulled out of storage - it's a mix of things, mostly 2000's era gear. Pile of old phones too (I think a period-specific nokia on your retro compy desk is a nice addition).

At any rate, everything needs to be moved ASAP - so he's taken up on my offer (covid restrictions pending) to help sort stuff out and store it with me - until we can find it a new home. This could just be lots of trips to the ewaste bin, or could be the complete opposite - at any rate, the idea of helping find the diamonds in the rough is pretty awesome to me.

Getting back to today's haul - there's... a lot. I did notice a small number of components had that pong of smoke and air freshener.. which is oddly nostalgic for me (spent my school holidays at a computer shop owned by a family friend, lot of smoking went on in those offices).

Anyway, more photos - sort of a full spread...
    signal-2021-09-11-005027_002.jpeg

RAM, so much RAM. 512Mb sticks of PC133 SDRAM too.. I need to match all the sticks up. There seems to be some NOS 4Mb Kingston sticks (in anti-static bags against wall)
    signal-2021-09-11-005027_003.jpeg

Motherboards - Socket 3, 5 & 7. There appears to be 3 or 4 identical boards.
    signal-2021-09-11-005027_004.jpeg

PCI, PCI-X, ISA & VLB expansion cards.
    signal-2021-09-11-005027_006.jpeg

Vibra 16s, Audigy 2 and Audigy 4
    signal-2021-09-11-005027_005.jpeg

9600XT, neat Heatsink
    signal-2021-09-11-005027_001.jpeg

Not sure what these IBM cards are, the Microsoft ps2 card is neat

signal-2021-09-11-005027_007.jpeg

There's also about 3 or 4 8800GTS'.. one with noctua fans on top..

17. JaC

JaC Member

Wow, that's amazing. Looks like some really cool stuff in there.

18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Great stuff, and a great community service you're doing here. I'm in the process of having a good hard chat with myself about whether or not I can help with this problem.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    andrewbt likes this.
  19. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Oh man you just reminded me of a similar memory doing work experience for a week in a small computer shop when I was in high school. The guy running the shop was a chain smoker and he smoked inside (which was the style at the time). I can only imagine the extent of the old hardware smell you are indulging in right now.

Vanne and andrewbt like this.
  20. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

I know someone else down here that might have been interested, so I got him in touch with the seller. Dude rocked up at his house with the hardware he sent me pics of last night, plus some really old Commodore CRT in VGC.
    Bunch of P4s (one with a 6800GT), a BINB 486 and lots of manuals. The Antec case is Aluminum, and I believe I'll get my hands on that shortly. I don't know much about the CRT. Pics of everything on the driveway has been cropped as it's not my image, and the cars in the background have number plates and are somewhat distinct.

At any rate, this is insane, and friend and I had a good chat to make sure with each other that this is indeed legit. The seller seems sincere and is doing this under request of his Nan (ie, empty out the storage of your pops stuff). I've also maintained contact with him since he dropped by, as he seemed very keen about getting into software dev, and was asking what he might need to do to achieve that.

He doesn't want to throw it out, he mentioned our collective enthusiasm for it all is the same way he felt as a kid... I also figure any money is better than it going to the tip? One thing pointed out is the seller has been eager to drop stuff off to us, rather than us visiting him. There's probably a lot of reasons for that, particularly if he's with his Nan and doesn't want her exposed to covid etc..Maybe he just enjoys getting TF out of home.. I have no idea.

Have we discovered our own Computer Reset?

br2.jpg br3.jpg brett.jpg index.jpg

I'll keep you posted. I need to get vaccinated and restrictions need to lift - but I have considered a bit of a garage computer market if there's enough inventory & interest

Vanne, Nicholas, adz and 6 others like this.