1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I see the original MCE2VGA's are available. But a little pricier once you option them up. https://www.serdashop.com/MCE2VGA

I ended up deciding on the GBS route because it gives me other options like upscaling VGA for capture, and connecting RGB consoles. After much reading about the strengths and weaknesses, I look forward to being disappointed in person.

Flamin Joe, greencamel65 and MUTMAN like this.
  2. Elmf

Elmf Member

More miceeeeeeeee

Just got Mamba wireless from OCAU. That makes 4 Razer wireless mice in the collection now.

I've got a problem

Vanne, Flamin Joe and MUTMAN like this.
  3. Vanne

Vanne Member

love my razor mice, they are my fave by far!

Edit: that reminds me, I bought new mouse switches to renew my Krait. Such an awesome mouse..

4f4560cd3a6885806ea8e413.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    MUTMAN and Elmf like this.
  4. Vanne

Vanne Member

Holy Frak!!! :) Awesomeness!!!!

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

6. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nice! Insert a buckazoid.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. Current

Current Member

I got myself a sweet old rackmount case :D

275427827_974383099938133_1742053141973601724_n.jpg

276156021_3140734136208399_8218906618778765739_n.jpg
    275360594_713911946425859_8808549222746961300_n.jpg
    275511079_4935868719800746_5074257945181872427_n.jpg

It has an AMD socket A motherboard in there with an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton with HSF :)

I'll be looking to sell the motherboard cpu and hsf :)

Attached Files:

FIREWIRE1394, Vanne, adz and 4 others like this.
  8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nice. As posted earlier on this page, I recently let one go but took the internals. Cool things though - bloody tanks. I did entertain the idea of a nice timber studio rack, filled with PC and MIDI modules. It would have been way too easy to sink a grand into that setup.

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. Current

Current Member

I intend on putting my PC into it and having a PC rig that has nice handles i can lan with, but also it sits like this on the desk, so i have easy access to it and the internals ( the PC box has to sit to the left of me as i live in a shoebox ) and as PC's tend to open on the left side... it makes doing anything a bit tough.

Edit: i guess it would be a bit of a sleeper as well ?

10. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Sounds like a plan :thumbup:

11. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I had to go into the office to hit up IT man for a keyboard today. I saw this recent retirement sitting on the floor, and he was all too happy to see it go. Yet another bloody KVM, but it might be my favourite yet. It's a "dumb" switch, but the pushbuttons and fake green LED indicator give it an air of the smarts.

upload_2022-3-29_19-32-58.png

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    Elmf, Flamin Joe, badmofo and 2 others like this.
  12. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Thanks schnappy for the newest monitor in my flock/hoard/collection.

Philips 107S66. Made January 2005. So some period correct content, on period correct media was the perfect thing to test:
    monitor1.jpg
    Daft Punks Robot Rock video (from March of the same year, which would have been the first non game I would have used this monitor for had I got it brand new) playing off a DVD.
    Well not the PERFECT test as the video was filmed on VHS for that 80's look.

But it's not as bad or wonky as the picture above would indicate, it's actually a very competent screen and that's just plugging it in without any calibration:
    monitor2.jpg

And being 17" I can lift it without putting my back out like the bastard it's sitting next to and partially behind. Now for a proper clean, and to get it plugged into a period correct computer.

13. bYrd

bYrd Member

I'm proud that you have a big ass honkin' CRT perched right in front of your fancy CRT monitor, that'll never impede your view no sir

Flamin Joe, adz, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  14. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

If I got rid of that useless keyboard and mouse, I can slide it forward and it fits perfectly. but the plan for that particular desk is to add the second identical desk next to it and have THREE of those big ass honkin' CRT's side by side.
    But it's a plan because I don't want to have to lift 2 more of those TV's from their current locations.:lol:

This most recent monitor might actually end up on my recently rebuilt Capture PC after it's played me a game or 2. Sure it's nice to have an occasional toy, but it will make capture of old games and videos look much better.

15. Trizae

Trizae Member

we have the same keyboard low key, also to test the monitor since I see you have windows 10 on your rig play metal slug d&d shadows of mystria cadillacs and dinosarus aliens vs predator xmen vs sf and marvel vs sf and street fighter 3 2nd impact (not third strike) through FB neo if possible so you can see it through resolution etc

ps whats the crt tv screen next to the monitor?

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I dug out a few things from storage over the weekend, they've been tucked away since about 2011 or so:

IMG20220402213344.jpg

The box is full of parts for the PowerMac 7300 - 3 or 4 CPUs, RAM, a few SCSI HDDs, external SCSI drives, that sort of thing.

I'm hoping the MAC hasn't degraded too much in the last decade. Will be going over it carefully before powering it on, also need to find a AD15 to VGA adapter. It was the one Mac I kept from quite a collection, I think I ended up giving them away to someone who intended to use them as props. :Paranoid:

Pierre32, Vanne, adz and 4 others like this.
  17. bYrd

bYrd Member

Looks like a tidy 7300 - what CPUs do you have for it? The plastics on these are prone to snapping without warning, I'd warm it up somewhere before cracking it open. Once the lid is off, common break points are the plastic sliders (spray a little WD40 around these before moving them), the white cover over the PCI slots, and the foot that pops out when open.

Pierre32, Vanne, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Great keyboards, I'd be using it daily if I hadn't picked up a beautiful SteelSeries with RGB recently. Still regret losing or misplacing or giving away or selling my X6.

I can't keep up with all the street fighter games lol, but I'll be playing metal slug again at some point, and will check those others out, Cheers.

Traditionally I usually keep a CRT plugged into my daily, but during the pandemic my computer started crashing any time I used the D-sub socket on my motherboard and my GPU doesn't support analog signals on its DVI ports, so have been without a modern and used daily CRT for a while now. The test computer is my capture PC, so I thought it wise to build it with as many inputs and outputs for as many Configs as possible.

The TV is a Sony Trinitron KV-XR29M31.
    They're a poor man's Sony TV, because they're later builds and lack Svideo and better geometry that the KV-XA29M31 had.
    But I like the XR's.
    1: because they only use 140ish watts of juice (as compared to the 180-300 older models need)
    2: They are built solid enough near the end of the CRT life cycle but not the last, so they weren't made from leftover and cheap as possible bits, but benefit from years of experience in making tubes. so even ones that have been abused (like the one pictured) work to an acceptable and consistent level.
    3: most importantly. They're the last half decent actual Trinitrons you can actually get for a reasonable price. They're not a gaming TV, and gamers don't want these models. So you can often find a pristine condition model with manual and remote and even a bonus set top box for less than $100. And heavily used dented up ones for around $50.
    (By often, I mean I see them pop up every few months at a decent price and sell within a week, and I'd take them all myself, but I have enough of them... That and they weigh 45ish kilos, and I'm getting old.)

Trizae likes this.
  19. Camm

Camm Member

Found the holy grail of Windows 98, a Conroe865PE, which started a bit of a spree with 4x1GB G.Skill DDR 400 Cl 2.5 sticks, a Xeon 3085, X3230 & a Core 2 Extreme QX6850 to play with. Already have a Audigy 4 Pro to go with, just need to find a suitable retro case to build in & a GPU.

BuuBox and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Not sure on the CPUs, they look like Apple parts though. I can't remember why I'd have four. :confused: Did I sent you a Sonnet G4 accelerator years ago? I think that came from this 7300.

Thanks for the tip on the plastics, I gave the power button a glance and it broke into a few pieces. I'll be very gentle with the rest!