1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

Could be - it looks like two components burnt out on it, so might have been a knock-on effect. It was spectacular though. :)

2. shane41

shane41 Member

No not really, too frikken new

Nope, leave it hidden it looks like shit. :p

See my rough packing here
    [​IMG]

3. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

Nah, just send it over to me, don't dirty your hands, I'll take care of it.

4. Goodsy

Goodsy Member

Surely these are Retro enough :D

[​IMG]

5. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

Holy crap the nostalgia there, I have very fond memories of playing on a ZX Spectrum as a child, many memories of playing Rockfall and Dizzy :)

6. Goodsy

Goodsy Member

Yeah, I used these as a 10 yo back in the very early 80`s.

There was a ZX80 as well, sadly its nowhere to be found.
    Need an analogue TV to check if these two are still working.

I remember spending hours and hours typing in programs from books
    such as the above and monthly PC mags, which was a great way to
    learn programming in Basic.

Eventually moved on to a TRS-80, then a TI99 4/a and of course the Commodore 64.
    Sadly don`t have those anymore.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  7. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

My parents still have it up in the attic back in England... tempted to see if I can get them to dig it out and post it out for me :p

8. shane41

shane41 Member

Yes old enough, vintage even.
    Need clear that bench Goodsy. Get your parts off the concrete :eek:

9. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Came in today, a 1993 Gateway2000 Handbook 486.

I guess you can call it a subnotebook, a pretty spiffy computer for its time! Came with its original charger and floppy drive, but unfortunatley they FDD cable is missing. It appears to be the same connector as used in the early IBM/Apple portable computers so I should have a suitable cable for it here somewhere.

The original battery pack was completely dead, however luckily for me the cells were 4x 2/3A 1.2V NiMh cells rated at 2200mAh each. So out went the old cells, in went a 4x AA battery holder and 4x Eneloop 2100mAh batteries! I think this was the easiest battery rebuild i've ever done!

Specs:
    • 486SX-25 CPU
    • 20MB RAM
    • 2.5" 80mb IDE HDD (Upgrading to a CF drive soon probably)
    • 640x480 grayscale display
    • Trackpoint mouse!
    • 24x15x4cm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bYrd

bYrd Member

I like it - the design is reminiscent of an Atari Portfolio - do you have any other subnotebooks?

11. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Yes that's what I thought, though previously owning the portfolio, this is about 2-3 times larger than the old portfolio, or HP 1xx/2xx palmtops. I have had quite a few subnotebooks come my way from time to time, here's some of them (all my own photos). There are plenty more but I'll have to sift through my archives for photos.

IBM S31 Japan only release:
    [​IMG]

Libretto 50CT- Pretty common:

[​IMG]

Sony VAIO Picturebook - later model with transmeta CPU. Was really longing for a PII model:

[​IMG]

Sony Vaio U-101 - This is VERY cool, celeron 900mhz cpu, ATI Radeon 16mb graphics, SSD drive and 2GB RAM a very capable unit in a tiny package!:

[​IMG]

IBM 240x - Took a while to find this one Pentium 3 600Mhz with a 10" screen. Still pining to find a 240z:

[​IMG]

IBM 220 - 486 subnotebook that ran on AA batteries! Very cool, from Japan and stupidly hard to find.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IBM Transnote - seriously cool machine, writing pad which transfered what you wrote directly to the computer P3-600/Windows 2000 era machine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And another recent pickup, a couple of Developer newtons :)

[​IMG]

12. bYrd

bYrd Member

Nice collection mkusanagi! I remember seeing an IBM 220 for sale years back (when it was not retro and just a bit "old") - they didn't want much ... and I didn't buy.

I still regularly use my VAIO P - hardly retro though, but I do have a couple of VAIO VGN-U50 and U70 models I'm also playing around with at the moment. I'll have to take a couple of pics. Where did you track down your clear Newtons?

JB

13. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Thanks, there's plenty more but I just don't have any pics. Had a complete and boxed PB 2400c come in the other day.

The 220 I was pretty chuffed about getting my hands on. Lately i've been on the hunt for the original Thinkpad 700 which was the tablet 486. I missed out years ago on one in Australia for $80 and the last one I saw sell in Germany for close to $800 :/

I liked the VAIO P, just underpowered sadly like most of the later VAIO stuff. Also had a UX390N (the slider one?) which I upgraded with an ssd. Nice little machine.

One of the Newton's came from Japan. I get plenty of machines from Japan through some connections with my work. The other came from the USA and actually is complete with all original packaging. Even has the original receipt from the engineer at apple who bought it from the Apple company store.

Though the USA one is likely the speculated developer model, I have some suspicions that my Japanese one may be a late prototype. The OS on it is newer than the latest that was available on the 110 (OS 2.0).

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

that's an amazing lappy collection! So many gems in there, and such good condition:thumbup:

15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I would love to get an old school laptop, maybe something in the Pentium era to play my games on when your on the road. Yeah I know you can emulate these days on a phone or tablet but it's so much cooler with the original hardware. :)

What's the go with batteries for those old laptops? I'd imagine they be pretty stuffed by now and getting new would be almost impossible. I suppose you could always find a place that can replace the cells.

16. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

17. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Nice retro bundle and a good start!

Got some DDR 400 CL2 memory and a few other bits and pieces. Some cheap fans, got to replace the stock fans on a 560 Ti.

18. Krumm

Krumm Member

Should do a nice variety of games, shame it's cpu compatibility isn't great but a fun starter for you. Also don't forget the cr2032 battery as none shown in that pic.

Compatibility list if you are interested http://www.asus.com/supportonly/P2L97-S/HelpDesk_CPU

19. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Cool! I had the -DS version of this board back in the day, with dual PII-300s. No desire to use the on-board SCSI? ;)

And what vid card are you planning to run on it? About 4-5 years ago my retro box was a PII 300 with V2 SLI, played Half-Life and some rally games quite well.

20. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

Thanks I didn't actually notice that but I have some so it shouldn't be an issue :)

I have literally no experience with SCSI, I wasn't even a teenager when this stuff came out :p so it's going to be a learning curve of sorts I guess if I delve into that.

Well currently I have an s3 virge left over from the system I had prior which I managed to fry :tired:

I do have an FX5600 spare which I could throw in however this is WAY to new for what I am going to be using it for so hoping to go for a voodoo 3 or voodo 2 SLI solution down the track. I do have an old ATI card which I have no idea if it works or not so I might throw that in and see how I go :)

Half Life! Yes I might have a go at that and also some old rally games like Rally Championship and the international variant.