Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. breech

breech Member

I reckon for now we should go with this..

If a board came with drivers for Win XP or older, then its old enough to show here or the other retro threads.

I would prefer to see more console & other non PC stuff too :thumbup:

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'm thinking you'll like it it a lot. s939 made for some snappy compute

3. partybear

partybear Member

I still use a opteron 170 machine daily with windows 7, it is perfectly capable even today. All I do is web browsing and programming my arduino, obviously not any modern gaming.

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I just looked in my draw at my Opteron 144. Only single core, but she clocked very well back in the day. Later I had a 4200+ X2, another awesome clocker with loads of L2 cache :thumbup:

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, I'm getting that way too.

I've said this already in this thread - we need to stop talking about years, and start talking about architecture (mostly because Intel is lazily milking the same architecture for too long).

x86_64 is today's architecture, and runs today's software. I consider that quite boring. Even Pentium Pro is still fairly boring, as it's not a whole lot different to what's available today.

Personal preference, each to their own, blah blah. I'm going to go and play with some 16 bit Motorola CPUs now.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

old pc motherboards don't get me all gooey either :(

7. badmofo

badmofo Member

There aren't that many regular posters in this thread, so if people start in with the rules and complaints then bam, dead thread.

If someone wants to go to the trouble of taking photos and writing a post, then what's the harm? Just skip it if it's not your cup of tea.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

We do, hey if old motherboards are your thing - go your hardest. They are pretty boring though.

9. shane41

shane41 Member

Were all loosing the plot. :lol:

Just do what makes you happy. ie Buying shit. Usually I begrudge spending on expensive gpu's......meh they're 640mb ones

[​IMG]

10. elvis

Valid points.

11. shane41

shane41 Member

This retro thing we can't pin it down. It's continually shifting forward.
    We all have different views, likes & dislikes. That's what makes it interesting for me the banter in here.

But Phil " that pioneer " has his finger on the pulse of what's really going on with his YouTube feedack etc.

We have to move with the times, like it or not the young folk want to join in & show off they're machines. They all grew up on P4 as the main socket for them, so in 4 years time well have the 775 & 939 crew. Sad were all getting old & so are our computers. They just wont last, meaning less enthusiast to enjoy those parts OR be able to purchase them. Members might have cpu's but find it difficult to secure good examples of Socket 7 & slot boards now.
    370 is still an option + cheap.

I say the more varied in here the better :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  12. elvis

Again, that's only true if you're talking about "by year". When the discussion turns to by architecture, you realise how long Intel have been sitting on a particular architecture, and how the "by year" classification makes no sense.

But look, I've made that point a dozen times, and nobody's getting it, so let's move on. Folks can legitimately talk about whatever the hell they want. I'm not the boss here, just a an old crank who is bored of x86_64. I'll go back to lurking in the Commodore 64 thread. :)

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Runs the software you use today :)
    Even the 8800 GPU's that shane posted wont play most of the games today.
    Bloke at work had to splash out on a new PC this year because of games that refuse to install onto *GASP* a lowly core duo cpu @2.8GHz

a beast of a machine a few years ago, now worth nothing as a current game rig. Kind of automatically makes it a retro ?

edit - in saying this, I kinda of agree with your thoughts too. uArch is probably a more defining test.

14. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yeah I like the older stuff too I must admit. What ever happened to that C64 thread? I'll bump it with some copy and pasted posts I've made elsewhere.

My kids and I were playing Space Taxi and Giana Sisters yesterday - it always gives me a thrill to see such old tech still making magic.

15. elvis

Won't play *at all*, or won't play *at a decent speed* ?

Architecturally, I'm more interested in the "won't run at all" (i.e.: requires different hardware, not the same hardware but a bit faster in order to get 60FPS).

Consider the reverse in the hardware/software comparison - if I can get a game from 15 years ago and fire it up on a modern Windows 10 computer today without any sort of emulation, then architecturally we're talking about hardware that's just too similar to be of interest to me. And there's still plenty of those games around (did I see Blizzard release a patch for Diablo II just the other day?).

I realise all of this is difficult to explain to younger folks. I work with a bunch of guys who revealed to me the other day that they've never use computers that weren't x86 in their lives, and they've never professionally worked on hardware that wasn't x86_64. For someone like me who lived through M68K, early ARM, MIPS, PA-RISC, Itanium, early POWER/PowerPC, early SPARC, and a bunch of other hardware in production environments, living in a world that only talks about x86_64 is very boring. Shit, I remember when switching to 32bit computing was a big deal.

I've worked in environments where Intel processors didn't exist AT ALL. I've worked in environments when 3D graphics was made by the companies that existed before Nvidia and ATI ever did (in fact, most of the people who worked at those old 3D companies went on for form Nvidia).

Telling me your Athlon64/8800 combo is "retro" is the equivalent of telling your average OCAUer that the iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 upgrade was a technological marvel and enormous leap in engineering (which to some people it is - ask my 15 year old daughter).

But again, I realise these are all just the ramblings of an old man who's a member of an online community dominated by younger folks. I'm sure there's some 1000 year old vampire reading this who's laughing at me remembering crap from 20-30 years ago, because to him that was virtually yesterday. It's all relative, I guess.

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yes i imagine it might be able to be run on dual core and dx8. but is it the same experience ?

does it warrant a upgrade depends on your level of gamer obsession

17. elvis

From a retro gaming perspective, the opposite comparison is more important. i.e.: do I need to go and buy an 8800 and Athlon64 to play games of that era in "the same experience". IMHO, no you don't. Many of those DX8 titles will play fine on your more modern hardware with no noticeable difference in user experience.

Compare and contrast to something like SNES emulation, where there isn't a single bit of software on the planet that does accurate emulation of the SNES's audio hardware due to low pass analogue filters (the official Nintendo emulators on Wii and WiiU come much closer than any unofficial emulator, but they're still far from perfect). Nor are there yet shaders that do a decent simulation of a good quality 15KHz RGB CRT monitor for things like Megadrive colour blending tricks, or even giving an accurate feel of the graphics in any of the older consoles and computers that produced low resolution progressive scan outputs. In these cases, it's absolutely imperative to put in the effort of tracking down original hardware in order to get the "accurate experience" that the software developers intended for their titles. I can list for you dozens of titles from both platforms that are utterly destroyed when playing through emulators on modern hardware.

Certainly, all of that argument blurs when it comes to DOSBox and SCUMMVM compatible titles of the VGA era. Plenty of games run extremely accurately in DOSBox/SCUMMVM, and as has been discussed in these forums, things like MT32 emulators such as "Munt" are so close that the need for original hardware in order to fully experience what the developers intended is probably moot.

And all of that kind of sums up the point for me. x86 hardware more or less hasn't changed enormously, despite measuring years on the clock. Even playing 386/VGA titles today on much more modern hardware gives you a pretty damned close experience (much more accurate than my SNES/Megadrive examples above). Push forward to early 3D, SVGA res, Pentium-Pro era hardware games, and again the user experience of firing these up today on modern hardware is near-identical.

At largest effort, finding a CRT and running your modern day rig off that will probably get you an era-appropriate look and feel of nearly any title made for DOS or Windows (and save a lead-lined CRT from landfill and/or stupid copper thieves in the process).

18. badmofo

badmofo Member

Well put and I can't argue with any of that, but in my case it's not actually about getting an authentic game experience, it's about getting an authentic hardware experience. I get my rocks off researching combinations of hardware, finding the right parts for my totally subjective versions of "period correct", and setting it all up.

So I don't break out my P4 to play FarCry because my i5 isn't compatible, I just enjoy the experience of owning / tweaking / trouble shooting a P4.

19. jmannik

jmannik Member

I grew up using a Commodore 64, from which I then moved to an Atari ST. I didnt get into the x86 world until my family bought a 286. I miss the days of the Atari ST, im still to this day trying to find one at the right price at the right time. Kicking myself that I lost my Atari ST.

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I'm kicking myself that I didn't keep the family's 520ST, but we sold it at the same time as we sold our 800XL which was a much bigger loss due to the fact they were not hugely popular and we had tooooons of sw for it - The ST wasn't that big a deal to me because we replaced it with an Amiga which was superior in pretty much every way.

It didn't stop me buying a 1040ST though when one came up for the Nostalgias, $10 at a flea market, and it worked too. :)