1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

Hello Brudda :D That's it right there, so much win.

2. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

One of the things I like about what I call retro machines is doing the crazy/oddball upgrades, imagine putting 64meg of ram into a 386 in the mid 90s people would be like "this guy right here:Paranoid:", now its like "LOL that's cool man:cool:", or putting an ATI 9100 PCI into my Pentium pro machine theirs no point but its a hobby and people like tracking down the rare parts etc, at the end of the day its a hobby and waste of time but is it wasting time if you like wasting time:Paranoid:.
    Theirs not much of a challenge running Dosbox so you don't get that sense of achievement when you get old hardware to run.

3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I've got to say I find the ongoing retro debate rather disappointing.. Perhaps we do need to segregate console and PC , but I think that would be a shame, as I think there's generally enough cross-over interest to keep it all together civilly.

Now i understand Elvis' and powers comments about things being boring.. because likewise I find most of the console stuff completely boring. And I could probably even argue that the propriety "closed source" nature of console industry makes it technically more boring, but , obviously, it's not to those who are into it, so it would be foolish to attempt to argue the point.

Heres my stance on retro though:- if it provokes nostalgia in you - it's retro.. now everyone's going to be different there, but chances are if you find it nostalgic, there WILL be others watching that do also.. so share away.

Now I for one DO already feel some nostalgia about early A64 stuff.. and this is coming from someone who still gets a kick out of his 8088 gear. So Yes It may not be fundamentally different at a higher level than today's stuff as Elvis rightly points out.. but it's the lower level details that us Hardware or "hybid" HW/gaming enthusiasts care about, and these sort of things, particularly on the GPU side DID keep moving very rapidly. Any pre-multicore , pre unified shader stuff is starting to feel quite old to me.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  4. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Be glad there's a divide..

I send CPUs and rare ram I come across to some of you pc collectors whenever I can do so.

And some of you guys have sent me some awful nice retro consoles in the same spirit of Refurb, resto and preservation.

this talk of split topics does no one any good and will only lead to the death of the thread, if the posts aren't to your interest ignore them, or post of your interest so the retro variety can be better.

5. partybear

partybear Member

I just like to collect old computers I don't play any video games on them or even use them beyond testing and maintaining them.

One thing everyone seems to have in common is the purpose of your old gear is to play video games on.

6. Cannula

Cannula Member

Personally I feel retro is only part of the older computer scene. The term "retro" is the coin word for common day items that are old but cool again and unfortunately it's used for computing too. One issue is that computing has come forward in leaps and bounds within our lifetimes from a technology viewpoint. As such computing should be categorised by more than one era to cover so many generations and improvements in computing that are seen as old now. For me vintage, retro, and old school (skool) fit nicely. I don't have a set line for these "eras" but if I had to draw a line it would be vintage is anything before Pentium. Retro for Pentium up to before socket 775 and 754, ie before x86 64bit. Old school as after that to before i3/5/7.
    Another issue is that some computer tasks do not need modern day computers and what may be considered retro is simply a modern computer in someone's elses home.

7. shane41

shane41 Member

:thumbup:

Now all you TC'ers :leet: post up some pic's :tongue: of that haul you bought lately.

8. Cannula

Cannula Member

I will tonight mate! I finally uncovered the entrance to the cave by moving things onto another shelf I've setups not the laundry. I post a picture of the shelving and what's on it later.
    Oh and sorry it's taken so long Phil I am uncovering the cards now with most of them retrieved. Every time I've looked at the entry I thought "too hard" and went and played Diablo 3 instead.

9. shane41

shane41 Member

Ah yes that mysterious place where all that good stuff hides. :wired::wired::wired:

The VAULT bust out my old Dfi atx SS7 too. I miss it :upset:

10. partybear

partybear Member

I kinda just consider anything computer related that isn't current tech to be old/retro. I would call a gtx680 oldschool, even though there probably isn't a game made it cant play. Simply because it is in the tech world an old piece of tech.

11. atmo

atmo Member

Picked up this lot over the weekend: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191819767726?

There's a few nice ones in there. My fave is the Radeon 8500.

The 9800XT artifacts but might come good with a bake.

Can't complain for $20, even if it was a 3 hour round trip to pick them up.

12. shane41

shane41 Member

Keep doing that Atmo & I'll have to stalk Ebay AU again :Pirate:

13. shane41

shane41 Member

Waiting :wired: my popcorn is getting cold & I get unhappy when that happens
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/yljyulpw6cla4om/tired.jpg

.........and you've promised this for how long? A millennium
    Free them oppressed parts already :tongue:

14. Cannula

Cannula Member

Sorry mate, I feel asleep on the lounge last night so I'll post a picture of the new shelving and contents tonight. Hopefully I will get a bit more done on the garage too.

15. shane41

shane41 Member

Have a man dungeon I'm doing atm buddy. So busy as well.
    Too good of a reveal <EDIT Cannula I mean> for those " not good persons " leave to email or pm.
    We discussed this before on disclosure. ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  16. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

we don't want to know about your 'man dungeon' nor how you plan to get men into it. :sick:

unless :weirdo:

17. badmofo

badmofo Member

Based on all the cloak and dagger there must be more in there than just dusty old computer bits, so what are we talking here? Time machine? Flying monkey prototypes?

18. shane41

shane41 Member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  19. Cannula

Cannula Member

Here is the laundry shelving and parts moved so I can enter the garage again. The tubs have older parts in them from last year and the boxes and tools on the top shelf on the left are for packaging and quick fixes around the house. The top shelf PCs are road-siders with corrupted HDDs but seem to work otherwise, a Q9550 system, an AMD 5200+ system and a Dell P3 933MHz system. The rest I'll leave to look at, I might write some of it up. There is a fair bit that can't be seen too.

Click to view full size!

20. shane41

shane41 Member

Ah that's where my xbox remote is :p I remember those Overdrive processors from ebay x4 if I recall. Seller wanted a fortune. Some 440mx video in the middle?

Dude you have to build some systems with all that crap. Games can wait.