Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. atmo

atmo Member

They made an AM2 riser: http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/upgrade.asp?Model=AM2CPU Board

Even just as a 939 board, it would be awesome for back to back testing AGP and PCI-e cards with the same CPU. :thumbup:

2. jmannik

jmannik Member

Be interesting to see what you make of the Trident Blade, I thought it was a very interesting card from a "Value" segment.

3. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

I've just acquired a Mac Pro 1MB:

http://imgur.com/h18hKl2

The screen only shows a single column of pixels. Anyone seen this symptom before, or know of what's needed to get it up and running?

(This puppy is from 5 years before I was born hah)

4. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Somethings busted with the actual CRT part of the system.

you should take it to someone who can install a crt chassis cap kit, they can also work out the cause of this issue.

5. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

The monitor ended up booting eventually. I'm now at the flashing floppy disk screen.
    I tried popping a 800k floppy disk into the drive, but got no desktop.

Not sure how finicky the eject mechanism is supposed to be, but holding the mouse button down as I flick the power switch on doesn't seem to eject the disk. Mouse definitely works because the cursor moves and pressing the mouse button generates a system beep...

6. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

so the screen looks all squished into a single line until the crt parts warm up enough, then it turns to normal eh?

if you can get someone to cap kit the unit, it should fix that up so the screen displays correctly straight away then.

7. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Seems like it was just for he first cold boot. Every time I've rebooted since, the full crt has lit up :)

I think my. Main problem is the eject mechanism on the floppy tribe

8. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Wow... that autocorrect!

Anyways, I've got the floppy out now and understand how to re-lube the mechanism if I want it to electronically eject. Simple enough.

However, rather than run a system off a floppy, I'm much more interested in running off an external HDD, since this old Mac Plus has the necessary SCSI port to do so.

Therefore, my main question is: How screwed am I if I'm trying to find an old Apple SCSI External HDD caddy and HDD?

9. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Locally, ie in Aus, you can pick one up for about $50pp, just watch eBay or gumtree. Generally low capacity around 40MB or so is age appropriate for Mac Plus. So not too screwed :D definitely more available in the US but the postage is a killer.

10. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Gotcha. Alright then, thanks!

Does anyone from the OCAU community have any "Macintosh: System Tools" disks, or the ability to create such a disk for me? I don't have an old mac with a floppy drive....

Not fussy about the OS variant yet - just something that will work out of the box (system 6, probably)

11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Blind luck that I spotted some system disks this afternoon cleaning up my step father (deceased) office. I have to go through his Mac collection of floppies plus his old mac with the external 40MB HDD. I havent touched an old mac in a decade.

12. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Damn, sorry to bring a crappy life event to the fore :(
    If you're up to it, feel free to swing me a PM with any stuff you might find. I'm particularly interested in any photos of floppy disk labels, and any details you find about the external HDD

13. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

All good, mum and I have been holding off on cleaning the office, took us 10 months. I had a quick look at the disks and the system disk look to have been overwritten based on the labels. The Mac and HDD are in another box that I didnt look at. I last fired that thing up in 2004/5 to find some data on an old floppy for a legal case. Found back up disks for his old LC but I think that got thrown out a few moves ago. :mad:.

14. shane41

shane41 Member

Fleetfeather why not take a direct approach.
    I just see you asking / hoping to find what you need.

Contact these members. Both mad on the old mac's.
    I have been in contact with Jeremy many times. Good guy.

jeremybh1
    macplus

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I know this is isn't retro computing technically.. well, not without attaching an Atari to it? (which I'm sure we will) , but I have to share, as i'm so happy with it!

After much searching, and it almost getting away I acquired this cream 13" Toshiba blackstripe CRT.. which after a brief cleanup appears to be in quite immaculate condition.. a few tiny blemishes in the top plastic - but very superficial and should polish out.. The all important front fascia is perfect

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absolutely love the looks of these late 70s/early 80s set's though.. only disappointment is it isn't the pedestal model, or at least it doesn't have one. the slightly older manual knob Blacklines did, and look even more funky. Assuming it works after a refurb (Seller said it did before being abandoned so fingers crossed nothing major wrong with it), It'll be for my Daughter. - Her first TV :thumbup:
    The funny thing is, when the other half suggested "she needs a TV" , she thought I was taking the piss when I said I'm getting a CRT :lol:.. Hoping the condition of it will change her mind.

I know there's some retro TV collector groups out there, might have to hit them up about what to use to safely polish the outer plastic, unless anyone here has some suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  16. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

This is what i'd use (got a bottle of it beside me atm)

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...-Polish-296mL.aspx?pid=101139#Recommendations

Works even better if you get a buff machine, but be careful if you do, the high rpm buffers heat up if you leave it in one place for too long and can do more harm then good. (and note that the slower random buffers dont really do much at all)

When used properly though, it will clean up beautifully.

---

Not really retro, more game collecting.

I brought 3 kirby ds titles recently that were going cheap on fleabay
    Squeak Squad
    Mass Attack
    and Super Star Ultra

with my already owned Triple deluxe kirby, I think that's all of them for ds.

edit: haven't got Canvas Curse or Planet Robobot yet. Will look into getting those next

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Thanks qwerty

I was thinking even the polish in headlight restorer kits would be OK, but i'm just not sure if they're chemically compatible with the plastics used in these old things, given they're designed for polycabonate(?) specifically

One you linked seems fairly safe to use on most plastics though

18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

The one linked is commonly recommended for polishing PS3's and Xbox 360s

It should be fine on any gloss plastic, even cd's. removing scratches with it though seems a stretch, but it certainly does defog and clean up certain blemishes rather well.

19. partybear

partybear Member

Haha I actually had that exact tv, I remember playing battle toads on it. Me and my brother sold the tv and nintendo plus all the games for two dollars. We had it at our local auction and that is what the highest bid was.

20. shane41

shane41 Member

You lurking Julian :wired:
    Stashed in box 8 years & dusty :Paranoid: Sell defecto

[​IMG]

Alrighty then :tongue: