1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Your recent acquisitions, or what retro have you bought lately?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Need to rip those suckers apart and stick some decent cooling on them. :D

This is identical to the cooling/overclocking setup I had right down to the "overclocking switch thingy" lol (the name escapes me right now) which plugged into the golden finger and allowed you to unlock multipliers etc. No idea if you can find this stuff anymore and still annoyed at myself that I eventually got rid off this stuff after having held onto them for so long after being retired. :(

[​IMG]

2. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Got two more P4 boards with SIS chipset. SIS chipset because some boards are compatible with 3.3V AGP cards. I have four boards now, and three are fully 3.3V compatible. One isn't, it has a warning LED that lights up when you insert a 3.3V card, like a V3 for example.

The boards that are 3.3V compatible:

Asus P4S533-VM, AOpen AX45-V and MX46-533GN.

I got all of them locally, the AOpen boards have Japanese capacitors, Panasonic too, this surprised me considering that SIS chipset boards tend to be extremely budget oriented.

To clarify: These are useful to build a fast V3 or V5 machine, if you're using 1.5V compatible AGP cards then there are better options available!

3. shane41

shane41 Member

Haha Julian, no ripping anything apart yet till sent from that other side of the world. Nice serious cooling. Approve :shock:

Phil some good SiS parts out there. I have a Winfast board with a nifty trick.
    One I saved in a dumpster dive & later fitted a truck load of caps to it.

4. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

I asked on Vogons, SIS seem to be pretty solid. Certainly had no issues with the Asus board. Will definitely use one in some video down the track.

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I remember the P4S533 MX, it was ok but you are much better off with the P4SGX-MX.

Good for basic workstations.

6. miicah

miicah Member

Is an Atari 2600 with no video cable worth anything?

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

PSU is more important - also which version?

Wood one is the most valuable, V2 or mini or whatever it is is the least.

Condition also important.

8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I thought the Vader (all black) were less common then the wooden finish units?

how much are the genuine adapters worth for em? i got a few

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Really, I would expect wood to be more valuable just because it's the most iconic - we had a Vader when I was a kid.

Fuck me, I just checked eBay damn 2600's are worth a lot.

10. Cannula

Cannula Member

A heavy woody sixer is worth the most. Vaders are still worth a fair bit still and Jrs are only good for modding or the fact it is actual hardware as opposed to emulation.

11. zebu

zebu Member

salvaged some ex business pc video cards today

agp ati rage 128 pro 32mb
    pci radeon 7000 with dvi
    agp radeon 9250 128mb 64bit

agp geforce 6200 256mb
    atp geforce ti4200 128mb

the first 2 are the most interesting IMO

12. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

picked up a good condition CIB retro Creative Labs wireless keyboard and mouse for 5 bucks.

its beige so it looks super 90s, yet its usb and the mouse is laser.

I dont believe tis 2.4ghz wireless, seems too old for that, but it is sure interesting, i cannot find it online anywhere i look.

[​IMG]

something for all you retro pc lovers to enjoy ;)

before i seal it in plastic forever! muhahahaha

13. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

The PCI Radeon 7000 is a decent Windows 98 option for PCI only machines.

14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Received an NEC MultiSync II monitor I picked up for around $200 including postage. Does CGA/EGA plus VGA not to mention it's capable of displaying the 15Hz required for my Amiga 500. :thumbup:

Here it is on my Atari PC3 8088 but hooked up to my Amiga 500 just for lols. :D

It's actually kind of fitting for me that these two are together since they are both from the same period of time where my retro focus is on. We had an Atari PC3 at home from around 1989 to the early 1990's while my mate had an Amiga 500. Needless to say I spent a lot of time on my mates Amiga as performance wise it was well ahead especially as the years past and the poor old 8088 was very long in the tooth at this stage. But I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it and have a lot of fond memories on both systems.

The monitor will remain on my PC3 displaying glorious EGA graphics but I will sort out a way of using it on my Amiga from time to time. I previously had a VGA card + VGA CRT which was great (I even saw a nice little performance boost in some games with scrolling being a lot smoother) but I was craving wanting to see the graphics on this PC just how I remember it. Oh EGA how I've missed you and your 16 colours. :D

[​IMG]

15. zebu

zebu Member

yeah, gives a nice new option

i didnt have anything PCI from ati before this, and i have a few socket 7 and 486 boards that are isa/pci only

goes in the PCI video card collection with a ARK 64mi, S3 virge DX, voodoo 3, powervy kyro 1 and a geforce fx 5200

16. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Beautiful monitor, aspired to get one of these (and its successor, the 3D) back in the day. Looking forward to seeing pics of EGA glory!

17. shane41

shane41 Member

before i seal it in plastic forever! muhahahaha

^ Tricky tricky quert. Not spotted, you stealthed it :( Did have a comment like seal the keyboard or you'll drop chippy crumbs in the cracks :tongue:

Anyways...............my life is now complete :rolleyes: My Soltek Nforce board is back with me & these bad boys arrived. Never could afford them back in the day. Months of trying to win combo's with 3200+ in them .......meh over it :lol:

[​IMG]

Notice: Have an idea for a friendly grudge match.
    Ready those Socket A & 478 machines for next month. Should be enough time for our parts to arrive, fix them boards, get them primed for battle :D

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

RF for sure, I had a Microsoft mouse that used this "tech" was a POS, probably the worst mouse I ever owned, lol.

19. shane41

shane41 Member

Notice a few members chasing AWE64. Do know the gold version is crazy expensive :( What model number is good value? Give your reason.

20. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

yeah, anything pre 2.4 is rather terrible. i tried the creative kb out, and if something solid is blocking the general line of sight, it doesnt work at all :lol:

works good enough though, if it gets too flaky due to interference or poor range ill just switch back to wired and chuck the creative in a cupboard or something