Your recent Letdowns

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by FOXH0UND, May 16, 2011.

1. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

I take it you haven't played dwarf fortress yet? :tongue: all you're presented with is a few blinking ascii characters and a menu on the right hand side that makes little to no sense when you first load it up. Immense fun once you get it going though.

Apart from the fact it turned into a spot the white wall "game", i've gotten tired of "internet humour". Hearing THE CAKE IS A LIE got boring after the first month, portal 2 was chock full of the same.

2. Zabba

Zabba Member

There is nothing wrong with the game itself, its the person in front of the screen that has changed.

Diablo 2 was launched in 2000. This means that the 28yr old gamer of today, playing D3, was only 16 back then. If you allow me, Diablo 2 & 3 are in heart the same game, hack 'n slash loot driven co-op game. But the 16 year old schoolie of yesterday is a very diffrent person today. And for the same reason, the expectation of having the same experience is quite unrealistic.

I remember being stupidly scared playing Maniac Mansion as a kid, to the point I had to unplug my TV (atari) from the wall to make it stop. I look back now and I just find it "cute" :p

3. Philll

Philll Member

It's funny that when I replay these old games once a year or every few years, I still enjoy them as much. I sometimes even do Deus Ex twice a year, so I don't quite see how that holds up

Plus it's all AH driven now. I played for 35 damn hours and barely found anything that was remotely good for my character, yet I could spend 5 minutes in the AH and get whatever I wanted. It takes the fun out of looting, I've no motivation whatsoever to keep going when all I'm going to pick up are weapons with stats that only partially suit me and legendary items I can't sell for a decent amount

I'm clearly not the only one with the same issue, and if that was the same system as in D2 ~10 years ago, then I'd agree with you

4. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Quoted for truth :thumbup:

Recent partial letdown Diablo 3 for many of the reasons already mentioned, I'm still enjoying it but it's lacking in so many ways.

5. Stevros

Stevros Member

So far ive only played the beta and while i did enjoy it, i was completely underwhelmed. It feels like a game that should have a 20 - 30 dollar price tag. I said it before, i would expect torchlight 2 to be just as good if not better than it.

6. Xytech

Xytech Member

This is a sad truth many of us are facing up to I think. I do think a large factor though is the lack of re-rolling - you can't choose stats, can't choose spells, so you never have that experience of waking up with what you think to be a great idea on how to build a character and going through with it - rather, you are forced on each character through the monotony of 'normal' difficulty, eventually getting to 60, and what then?

This is obviously not such a bad thing in that you are given freedom to re-spec and you don't need to grind a character up every time you want to try something new - but to me that was half the fun.

7. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Battlefield 3

Enough said :thumbup:

8. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

its a train wreak i know but being a gun nut i have really enjoyed the infantry side of it and the customization of weapons

if you want a blast, reinstall quake 2 and get the music going (obtain the music in wav, put music files in folder called "music" in baseq2, rename 1st track to track02, 2nd track to track03 ect up to track11) then hook it up to a decent sound system with plenty of base.
    No game has yet to beat quake 2's adrenaline and energy

9. ADV

ADV Member

I think they made the AH compulsory on purpose. They want to promote AH activity because when the Real money AH goes live they will have a continuous revenue stream (Somewhere between 5 and 15% of every real money transaction goes back to blizzard).

Diablo 3 feels like oz-lotto.

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Most of us are now old enough to realise repeating the game (Diablo3) 4x times to reach Inferno/Level 60 is a complete waste of time. We've real life commitments far more important (and productive) in between. It's difficult to expect a game 13 years ago to be the same experience as before 9without any new innovation).

When you are 16 and have nothing else to do except stare at the wall, jerk off or study you're thinking grinding loot 5 hours each night is cool.

With that said i still fire up old games from gog.com just because its fun. I can spend hours on Baldurs Gate 2, Civ3/4, Shogun TW, Nox and other old time sinks without giving a thought on some of the new (shallow) game releases

The Auction House is a pain in the ass.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  11. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

Hmm. I enjoyed what I saw of D3, just the servers (and trying to connect) were so terrible, I actually couldn't play the game. Now in the process of getting a refund, so not bothering to log in anymore.

On a related note, I actually find Path of Exile to be a lot of fun (and the skill system is fantastic).

12. rusiakid

rusiakid (Banned or Deleted)

Resident Evil: ORC

Good Game, Good Story line

Controls Are SHIT, Cover Mechanics SHIT....

Design of the Game Awesome.

Ohhhh and its a FUCKING CONSOLE PORT........ grrrrrr :thumbdn::thumbdn: ><