1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

You've ruined me, Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Statitica, Aug 17, 2017.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

Some people are content being mindless consumers, others are only happy when creating.

While this is all possible on any platform (I spent the first years of my career programming for DOS then Windows), the linux philosophy seems to attract the more intelligent, less consumerist people.

And we're in a brilliant time to have that mindset, where you can get a SBC computer (a rpi or arduino etc.) for mere dollars and you can program and build yourself something to not only automate data processing, but real world activities too. Never before, the entry point to micro-controllers was much higher, you had to build your own boards, and code your own assembler. That of course is still available.

2. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

This. By hits, Facebook has the highest hit rate when it comes to external web browsing on our network. Anyone who complains to me that some young kid learning scripting is perceived as more valuable by the company than someone who spends all day browsing Facebook and shopping online has zero sympathy from me.

3. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

On this alone, I'll be blocking facebook from our network when we get a connection going to our office (as opposed to individual mobile routers). If people want to browse it on their own dime/time, I wont stop them, but I think facebook is the single biggest productivity killer, probably universally.

My 6 + 8 year old sons are going to start learning scripting in the near future. Their friends are invited too. The way the future is shaping up, they'll be better off having skill like this before they even reach university age.

4. chook

chook Member

You need to consider the cost to do that against the fact they all have it on the phone in their pocket. I am not advocating that anything good ever came from Facebook or that it adds anything of benefit to humanity but how much are you going to invest in not actually stopping them from accessing it?

I genuinely believe that within the next 3 - 5 years it would not be unreasonable to expect to see scripting as part of an office admin person's skill set. The power it gives to them for basic mundane office administration tasks is incredible.

The best sys admin is a lazy sys admin because they write a script ;).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

Here in PNG, it's a bit of a different ball game. Personal data is very expensive, so they're less inclined to buy it. The amount I need to invest is as much time as it takes me to blacklist facebook.com at server level.

I was going to start with scratch, and move to blockly after that.

7. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

I need something to stimulate my brains again.

I finished the script that started this thread. And then I actually finished it (usually function is all I care about, and form is left for another day. If I get around to it. Maybe.).

And then I wrote a simple script to merge two files with pdftk via a zenity's file selection. (I often need to merge two, and only two files. Up until now I've been using PDF Shuffler, which is an amazing tool, but slow with its interface - part of being way more than what I need).

But that was too easy.

In reality, I see myself as being at the entrance level of scripting, and want to learn some more.

Where to go?

What to do?

What to script so I can stop doing it?

8. rem00

rem00 Member

Yep, i3 was eye opening in terms of productivity and it made working with multiple windows on a laptop significantly easier.

At a broader level, in line with the thread topic (I think) the 'everything is files' adage is what really hooked me and how that can be made to work in regards to scripting.

9. rem00

rem00 Member

Might be out of scope, but you could always get started on Ansible :) Spin up some VMs and have a go at some playbooks.

10. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Hand them back a "hurt feelings report" to fill out in return.

11. elvis

I tend to hit Facebook when I've reached peak frustration point with the skullfuckery in my workplace, as a "mental pallet cleanser" of sorts. As someone who spends an exhausting 12-16 hours a day babysitting complete morons in a desperate attempt to stop them hurting themselves and/or the business we all work for, there are times when I can't simply just keep on truckin'. Take Facebook away, and the 5 minute mental break I take there turns into a 15 minute walk down the nearby riverbank so I don't lose my cool and do something HR wouldn't like.

We're quick to blame procrastination for all the ills in the workforce. One ought to do the due diligence, and try to find out why people are procrastinating in the first place.

What do I think is the single biggest productivity killer, universally? Stupid people. Firing a few of them would do wonders (even if not replaced, often their absence is far better than their presence).

12. hosh0

hosh0 Member

So what you are saying is I should script my computer to automatically show me billions of pictures of cat videos (why are we looking at a picture of the video and not the video?) a second?:lol::p

13. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I thought that but didn't post it.
    So which of us is sillier ? :cool:

14. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

As a software engineer my favorite tasks are ones which let me remove useless code. I can't imagine how amazing it would be to remove useless coworkers also!

15. elvis

Feels good man. Also feels good when I train up others to do the same. If I can make one smart human that can spend their time replacing 10 other humans per year, that's a net win. I've made about 5 of these so far, so my "useless human removal rate" is growing exponentially, which is great!

16. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

elvis for president dictator!

17. shane41

shane41 Member

Well sounds like Agent Smith is deleting useless programs again ......
    Inquire to be no6 :leet: