1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Z-5500... death?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Chardiieee, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ICEW0LF

ICEW0LF Member

actually its turned on but his sarcasm fuse is blown :Pirate:

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I suggest picking up two for one fuse deal then :leet:

3. timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

Buy some fuses...and to make things even easier for you, if they give you a little zip lock back, just poke the power cable through the top of the bag or tape it to the back of the sub...that way you can change them easily and quickly and not have to try and find them every time:)

4. ShadoX

ShadoX Member

Somewhat wrong, depending on the fuse type it may be clear or not, slo-blo ceramic fuses, which is the case for z5500's, look like short glass fuses but the glass "looks" like it wrapped with paper (i think they have a different filling within, like a type of sand) so no it won't be clear if its ok

2 Amp Slo-Blo fuse is what you need mate

I had my z5500's for a day before it blew a fuse (which frustrated me cause i wanted to listen too em and it happened late at night ...)

Lots of people replace their fuses with 2.5 Amp Slo-Blo's, alomost seems like the nominal current draw for the z5500's is very close to the 2amp mark so 2.5 gives it that extra bit of leadway.

But, up to you, I bought a bag of 5 2.5Amp fuses, and so far the first one i put in it about a year 1/2 ago hasn't blown yet :D i've still got 4 taped to the back of the sub...

ps, don't worry about "making super-duper absolutely sure" when it come to changing fuses, your not going to explode your z5500's by changing the fuse, its only a fuse, atleast if you replace it with a known good fuse, you'll know the fuse is ok and the problem is elsewhere (note my sig)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  5. OP
    OP
    Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Thanks everyone so much. And especially to you Shadox. I will go get me the slo-blo 2.5A fuses then tomoro and do a little bag-poking trick.
    Is why I <3 OCAU so muchhly :D

6. Omarko

Omarko Member

hey guys

did not want to start a new thread as I thought I might ask here.

I got my Z5500 about 13 months ago. About a week ago, the backlit on the LCD started flickering and now its completely gone. When gaming in the dark, I cant see anything on the LCD ....

anyone experienced this ? thoughts on how to fix it ?

many thanks in advance on any thoughts ...

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

did you check the fuse?

8. Omarko

Omarko Member

no I did not because the speakers themselves are working ... I'll check it now ...

9. Omarko

Omarko Member

ok, I just check it out , here is a pic:

[​IMG]

I guess this is no good.

Since I am a total NOOB when it comes to these things, where can I buy a good / new fuse ? exactly what model ?

if someone can link me up to a product at place like Jaycar or Dick Smith, that would be much appreciated.

thanks

EDIT:
    is this the one ?

Dicksmith
    Fuse M205 2A Slow Blow Pk 6
    Cat No. P9622

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  10. PraZStaR

PraZStaR Member

yeah just take the fuse in with you to jaycar or dick smith, they will give you the right one!

11. flinchy

flinchy Member

are you kidding? this baby's off the charts!

12. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

The stock one's are milky white even when not blown. It's probably not your fuse Omarko

13. Seith

Seith R.I.P.

It happens to alot of Z5500s including mine. If you know what you are doing I guess you could replace it but personally I like having no backlight to distract me. I might replace it one day.

14. Omarko

Omarko Member

I put the new fuse in but still no backlit ... sux .. is RMA my only option ? struggling to find the receipt :(

15. !JonZap!

!JonZap! Member

one of my leds flickered till it died :(

edit: 1 year exactly since last post, lol.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  16. ShadoX

ShadoX Member

usually if the fuse is blown, the control pod/control unit will still have the red "power button" light on, just pressing it won't make it come on, if you don't even have that, well RMA's your next step as it could be anything (theres also another fuse, inside the sub housing which can blow, but replacing this will require you to open the sub housing which'll void your warrenty so you won't be able to RMA)

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Definite option, did you purchase online? Might be able to find your receipt at the online vendor?