1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Z390chipset, i9 9900k i79700k and i5

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by kot0005, Jun 28, 2018.

1. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Maybe next year. ;)

2. budzilla

budzilla Member

Shareholders? Although I don't care about them.

Reminds me of the VW emissions scandal, although on a smaller scale.

3. shane41

shane41 Member

$859AU preorder :Paranoid: ... crikey

4. itchynads

itchynads Member

Approaching HEDT level pricing. That sweet 5GHz better be worth it :)

5. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

imagine what you would have said when this bad boy was king...

AMD ATHLON 64 3800+ (2.4GHZ, HYPERTRANSPORT, 64BIT, 512K CACHE SOCKET939) + RETAIL BOX *NEW* $1,225.00 - Release date June 1, 2004.

macktheknife likes this.
  6. shane41

shane41 Member

I actually had that very same processor. Still similar ones here & plenty of cool 939 machines

7. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

$849 from PLE :p I suddenly feel 9700K is not a bad buy since you are only paying about 30-40 dollars more for a soldered CPU with a similar boost clock comparing to 8086K.

1dongchen likes this.
  8. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

And more cores. :)

9. Sunder

Sunder Member

What I've found managing people, is that people often deflect or miss-assign their true feelings. When someone says "I don't get paid enough for this shit". They're not saying they don't get paid enough. They're saying "This is shit", and even if you raise their wage several times, I've never heard anyone said "This is shit, but this is why they pay me the big bucks". I've heard people say "That why they pay YOU the big bucks" to someone else, but nobody ever owns it.

Same thing here. Most of us want cool tech. If the 9 series was 40% faster, or used half the power, or had a quantum compute co-processor, I'm sure people wouldn't give a flying f**k about contrived benchmarks, high prices and other shenanigans. but the thing is, the CPU market has been underwhelming for a while now. There's no competition and a rumoured shortage, which means all us enthusiasts who have been waiting for an upgrade, get disappointed by incremental upgrades, and price increases and some of us are taking it out on the company. We haven't been "fucked up the arse" as you so eloquently put it, but we have been disappointed, and what do disappointed people do? Whine.

Don't assume people whining can't afford and won't buy the new chip. I am going to buy it, and on my income and role on IT (partial claim on tax), it's petty cash. But it feels like I am buying a tool, not a toy. It's necessary, not something I find cool and exciting, when I was hoping for something exciting. I've been waiting for 10nm for 18 months now. I've been telling co-workers, "Hold off getting a new laptop for 3 months, you'll be able game for 8 hours on a laptop battery because of the low power consumption and increased performance!". Well, still waiting on that. In theory it's come out in bits with the i3-8121U and the i7-8809HQ, but the hype that has been speculated has been underwhelming at best.

People whine when they are disappointed. It might not be the thing they are disappointed about, but they will find fault in everything when they are disappointed. And let's be honest, if you were buying every generation, there's a hell of a lot to be disappointed by, lately.

macktheknife, bennyg and OJR like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

11. shane41

shane41 Member

Perhaps some are disappointed. I've enjoy all these processors since Ivybridge days. The 4770K > 4790K was great :thumbup: Improved stability & extra capacitors fitted underneath the processor.
    It's a marvel all the new tech & really enjoy overclocking the latest Intel processors.

These 9900K will be the peak on Skylake/ Coffeelake type manufacture. Expect the samples will all perform very close.
    Lets face it ... 8 cores on 53x multi watercooled is gonna crush some 3D benchmarks.

9700K no HT this seems to be the good value.
    9600K now what's this? 6 core working from a 8 core processor? Yeah I don't know if I'd go near this ... sounds like 8600K to me, no disabled cores

12. shane41

shane41 Member

13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

For sure they'll cook, soldered or not. 8 cores at high clocks/volts.... it's a given.

I kinda like the paste, makes em easy to delid. But solder will help the ln2 benchers save time and make life easier on the vast majority of users who don't want to pull the top off.

14. OJR

OJR Member

Custom loop apparently. But shitty Gigabyte board.

15. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

it says they use a custom loop. Games like AC odyssey can easily stress ur cpu to prime 95 levels..

16. shane41

shane41 Member

We'll I hope they'd use a minimum 360 rad & have it in an air conditioned room

17. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Yep, as that game uses avx extensions.

18. Inconceivable

Inconceivable New Member

Would a better board result in lower temps from the CPU, though?

19. Sunder

Sunder Member

It would if the quality of power was better, and you could control the voltage more granularly.

Inconceivable and OJR like this.
  20. OJR

OJR Member

Most likely, yes! One of the things that Steve from GN was complaining about with Gigabyte mobos is that you have no idea how much voltage you are actually delivering to the CPU. Monitoring and power delivery were both sub-par.

c4dderly and Inconceivable like this.