Z390chipset, i9 9900k i79700k and i5

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by kot0005, Jun 28, 2018.

1. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Looking like it

2. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I've been considering the 9700K with the Gigabyte Z390 X Gaming board, I was planning on just doing this as a mobo/RAM/CPU swap from my current 3770 system and keeping my old PSU/drives. However, I've just noticed that the Gigabyte Z390's require an 8+4 pin 12v for the CPU. The Asus motherboards only require a single 8 pin. My current PSU only has a single 8 PIN. My conundrum now is do I go the Gigabyte as I always have for motherboards and purchase a new PSU with the extra CPU cable, or do I switch brands? Will there be much of a performance hit if I don't get the extra 4pin 12V going to the 9700K? (I'm not overclocking it). Thoughts/guidance please?

3. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

Okay, so with OC and 1.3+v it shud hit 85c+ Now intel just needs to bring back their old STIM instead of this BS.

4. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

Why do you not like EVGA ? I literally buy them because they have good resell value and EVGA ships replacement parts like LED and fans without you sending the whole card.

Their new Z390 mobo look pretty weird.

5. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

Temps are looking bad..and this is after delidding probably because of the 2 additional cores.

In before comments saying the CPU is rated at 115c.

grrrr likes this.
  6. grrrr

grrrr Member

My last AMD was a Barton that had almost a 100% overclock with water cooling. Used the conductive silver paint to unlock some ratios as well. That was around the time I joined OCAU. The water cooling was one of the first in Queensland. Fully custom made block, auto oil cooler radiator, fish tank pumps. The case used to turn heads at the LANs, but mainly because of all the fans.

Speaking of the good old days, this Intel release remind me of the stupidly hot Pentium 4'd and Pentium D's that came out.

If there is only a few $$ between the 8700k and 9700k, I'll probably get the 9700k. OR hold off for this next AMD release.....

7. grrrr

grrrr Member

I wanted to watch tech yes citys delidding video but found this one instead.

Really interesting watch. Thick is the new hot.

My bad. This was already posted on page 37 by Pure Fire, and glnn_23 on page 34....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    OJR likes this.
  8. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Too many bad experiences with EVGA mainboards. When I use to work retail we stopped stocking EVGA because the failure rates was stupid high. Vid cards aren't so bad, they all largely come from the same few ODMs these days and the actual GPU speaks for itself.

9. OJR

OJR Member

10. bobster

bobster Member

I think this is a pretty fair response and review.

11. OJR

OJR Member

Anyone notice that it's all just a big shit slinging match this year between the tech tubers?

macktheknife likes this.
  12. bobster

bobster Member

They are all copying Gamersnexus!

IMO TTL and Linus prob gave the most accurate review for the average user, when Hardwareunboxed did there response video I felt that they should of disclosed they changed the power limits and they should of contacted TTL or Linus before posting that video for professional courtesy.

13. OJR

OJR Member

Yeah but that doesn't get more views~

macktheknife likes this.
  14. WabbitHuntn

WabbitHuntn Member

Linus probably dropped it and accidentally disabled 2 cores. LMAO

macktheknife and bobster like this.
  15. PureFire

PureFire Member

My understanding is the difference between reviews is in the default state the motherboards have the BIOS set to. Some mobos have a higher TDP set by default because they have more VRM phases and others have the factory 95W TDP. I dont believe reviews are changing these setting unless they are manually overclocking in which case they would say so. Which is why HardwareUnboxed summarized that Linus didn't get it wrong, they just used a different mobo with a lower TDP.

16. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I'm starting to lose track of all these meta/response videos. Intel did something stupid, so Hardware Unboxed made a video, then Linus made a comment in a video, then Gamersnexus and Hardware Unboxed did a video about that video, and then the CPU came out, so everyone made videos about it, and then Hardware Unboxed made a new video about Linus' video, and now this guy is making a video about Hardware Unboxed making a video about Linus making a video?

Meanwhile Debauer got 7 million gigahertz at negative 1583 degrees using liquid adamantium then put a motherboard in the dishwasher.

If I were a Linus type guy who has millions of subscribers and gets accused of being a paid intel shill I probably wouldn't bother doing competitive benchmarks any more, I'd just do a cool looking/themed system build and just run benchmarks on whatever system I built.

Also I still don't have an update on when I'm gonna get my CPU :(

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    bennyg, Sunder, OJR and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sunder

Sunder Member

[​IMG]

Unobtanium. He used Unobtanium. Adamantium is for making unbreakable skeletons and claws. Unobtainium is for working magic.

OJR and macktheknife like this.
  18. OJR

OJR Member

I just bought an 8700K to "tide me over".

grrrr, shane41 and macktheknife like this.
  19. Sunder

Sunder Member

TBH, I'm pretty close.

20. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Seems like the arrival date is now ~2nd November but that's not concrete.