Z390chipset, i9 9900k i79700k and i5

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by kot0005, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

core count, clock speed and PCIE Lanes, as well as the HEDT use, MESH not ringbus that the desktop i9 should use the HEDT i9 and the mainstream i9 are not really comparable.

2. OJR

OJR Member

All of which Failripper2 beats Intel in.

Also the Mesh architecture performs worse in games than ring-bus. Intel's HEDT line is a piece of crap currently.

3. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i have no idea. im just playing guessy games. the 7820x is back at 800$ aud. but certainly it has been on sale for cheaper than that. newegg were trying to flog 7820x's at 600 aud at one point in time.

still wondering whether the 9700k will have ringbus...because the existing z370 etc chipsets will support the new 9 series cpu's, and they dont support x series mesh type chips???

so 9 series is cfl with an 8 core variant added at the top.

again i have no idea if the mesh or ringbus design makes any difference to what chipset can support it...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  4. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks CJ. Any chance of that in English for me ? :)
    I don't claim to be a tech head when it comes to this stuff, just a user.

Is there anything the i9 9900K does BETTER than the other i9 X.. range for a 'typical OCAU' user?

5. OJR

OJR Member

Games.

vladtepes likes this.
  6. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Stop being obtuse, its been Intel way since the inception of Core architeture on the mainstream platform.

2000 (Sandy Bridge) - 3000 (Ivy Bridge) - used same chipsets
    4000 (Haswell) - Haswell Refresh (Devil's Canyon) - used same chipsets
    6000 (Skylake) - 7000 (Kaby Lake) - used same chipsets

You start with a greater range of boards which would suit more build senarios and then somewhere in there you can find the tight ass crowd that want to put $700 CPUs in $90 mainboards.

At the end of the day it really depends on how you define "better". If X series provides you with the right set of performance features then don't be a muppet and go with mainstream and vice versa.

vladtepes likes this.
  7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

intel has the best available HEDT CPU CURRENTY available and mesh is better than amd's glue

8. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

the 9900k will have the clock speed advantages and have less cores

the HEDT i9's have more cores and support More PCI Express lanes on the CPU and have quad channel memory

the Mesh vs ringbus is how the CPU cores connect and exchange information between themselves ( AMD uses glue -- ojr just sniffs it )

the 9900k will be a better cpu than teh 7820x and anything amd failzen in the mainstream space

self_slaughter and vladtepes like this.
  9. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Kurosaki - didn't mean to come across as obtuse. Just saying that I recognise that its normal that it wouldn't. Prob came across a bit sarcastic I guess. Cheers and thanks

CJ yep that's closer to being understandable for me :) Thank you.

10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

If they just slap 2 more cores on and call it an i9, I'll be disappointed. (but not surprised - hey it's intel)
    At least give us a few more pci-e lanes to work with. (24 would be reasonable for a high end mainstream / gaming system)

It would have to be able to clock bloody well to replace my 8086k in my gaming system though.

11. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

SS an 8086K is not very old really so any gain is likely to be minimal IMHO.

12. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

just wait for the 9986k or se/xe, whatever intel will call their better run of the same series chips

13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

My 8700k wasn't very old either, but didn't stop me upgrading. :p
    Better binning netted me an extra 500Mhz all core turbo (I fail at silicone lottery), so I'm happy enough for now. Just those pci-e lanes are a killer now days with M2 drives and such.

Fortunately I've given up on SLI so have a few more lanes to play with again.
    But an i9 with only 16 lanes would suck.

vladtepes likes this.
  14. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

https://videocardz.com/77188/intel-core-i9-9900k-will-boost-up-to-4-7-ghz-with-all-eight-cores

15. shane41

shane41 Member

What do you care? Buying a 4th AMD system as you admitted. Deny yourself what you wish for all the time. :tongue:
    Re OJR comment. You syphon fuel from Commodores " that you sniff " for the ford taxi labeled pussy wagon, advertising you can get no pussy :lol:
    _______
    Other stuff not for ^ numpty ^
    Newegg shifts prices around on x299 processors. I've seen lesser cores price higher than more cores x299
    Over abundance on ram manufacture will see price drops dec & next year. Hold of till then, good sets have increased $50+ this year.

16. The OC

The OC Member

Should come in a bit cheaper than that, the 1920X is about $960 right now, I would expect the 9900K to be around the $700 mark initially, rumours have it as $450 USD which makes it $616 AUD at current exchange rates, but we all know we get slugged an 'import tax' or whatever it is, prices always end up higher than when you do a direct USD > AUD currency conversion.

People should realise this 'i9' moniker is simply marketing because of Intel segmenting the market now with 6/6 (i5), 8/8 (i7) and 8/16 (i9). It also gives them an excuse to price these chips higher than an i7.

17. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

So will 8 cores beat 6 +HT ?

18. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

yes easily for 99% of most mainstream applications

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Cool, 9700k it is then for next upgrade (still holding off on haswell 4790 non-k.... getting harder and harder to resist).

I always have separate ESXi (Virt) and linux (storage / media services) servers so no interest in going overboard on cores/threads. 8 cores going up to 4.5+ Ghz sounds just the ticket - same threads as what I have now except they're all 'real' cores not HT so should be a massive diff - that and clock speed.

All I need to do now is wait for RAM prices to settle (hahahaha).... it would be really annoying to go backwards from 32Gb. And no I don't NEED 32Gb.... but y'all know how annoying it would be to go backwards on a 5 year upgrade to boot (and I'm hoping it will last 4+ years)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    vladtepes likes this.