Z390chipset, i9 9900k i79700k and i5

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by kot0005, Jun 28, 2018.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

I'm done with this heat man :p 8086K idle 45deg & I've got a 140 bclk running

2. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Well I couldn't get it up... to 5GHz stable :( Not that I was trying that hard, just set it to Auto voltage and LLC Level 7 and left it at that. Also dropped XMP II down to XMP I as I think my very ordinary Corsair 2x16GB 2400 RAM is one of the causes for not reaching higher.

Anyway, ASUS AI Tweaker was right, damn him. My current setup can only really do 4.9GHz stable. But I did manage to beat that Cinebench score by 1 point ;)

10 minutes of Prime95 26 stable:

4.9GHzPrime95.jpg

Cinebench 1589 points:

Cinebench.jpg

3. shane41

shane41 Member

https://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_9700k/

Righteo ... Hwbot you have mostly a blank canvas to write your scores on. That's as simple as join a team & upload scores.
    Minimize your R15 bench window. No obstructions over it. Cpu-z processor + mem + board tabs. Screenshot scores & enjoy :D

4. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Ah, it was not meant to be. The HWBot submission form is bugged and keeps throwing up javascript errors when trying to submit my score and specs.

Here's the official submission image I made, got up to 1592 in the end:

PersianimmortalCB15.png

I guess I'll miss out on being a hero to millions, but I'll always have the memories...

5. shane41

shane41 Member

Don't worry about the HWbot uploading scores right now. They are doing a new revision atm so server will be strained countless calculations.
    That will settle in days. So you can still save screenshots. #1 places there gained & little resistance.
    https://community.hwbot.org/topic/186287-hwbot-classic-rev8/
    Chat on it in link

https://hwbot.org/user/avalanche/
    edit. You see in my profile dropped #15 as the XTU global points are lost.

There is a Season 2019 ... with points to do now :shock: This is NEW
    That's get your best scores going for the year & it resets 2020 haha

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    PersianImmortal likes this.
  6. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I finally got my the C states to work properly. Even though my CPU was idling at 8W, for some reason if I left it idling and came back later, Core Temp would show that it had hit a max temp of around 60C. I believe it was because I'd turned SpeedStep to Enabled instead of Auto. Anyway, now it idles properly with Speedstep back at Auto.

Hasn't affected average idle speeds much, sits around 4.4 - 4.9GHz at idle, but tends towards the mid-range instead of always being at 4.9Ghz. C states now show as 100% active when idle, temps are down near almost ambient, and they never peak too high (that's 33C idle, 41C max in a closed air-cooled case in this weather).

Also a tip that some of you might find useful. If you find yourself constantly rebooting to UEFI like I've been doing recently you can create a shortcut that does it directly with one click. Right-click on the Desktop>New>Shortcut, enter the following text in the shortcut box:

shutdown.exe /r /f /fw /t 0

The /r parameter means restart, the /fw parameter is fairly recent and means that you will restart and boot straight into UEFI. The /f means it shuts every other running program down with no warning, and the /t 0 is the number of seconds before the restart commences (e.g. /t 5 gives you a 5 second countdown). Click OK, give it a relevant name, then importantly, right-click on it and select Properties, click Advanced under the Shortcut tab and make sure the 'run as administator' box is ticked, or it won't work.

bennyg likes this.
  7. er1

er1 Member

does anyone know if the maximus XI apex is coming to australia any time?

8. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Yes. Stock was limited to start with, being a smaller market, we are always one of the last regions to receive.

Keep an eye out, it will come.

9. shane41

shane41 Member

Put your #1 8700K in the for sale section Headin. :shock: You members want to see what a great processors goes like, buy this one :weirdo:

10. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

So built my new system and installed a new 750 W power supply - no room for the ilink tho , its 9700k and the mobo i chose is a asrock tachi ultimate 390 the cooler im using is a cryoirg ultimate and some 2X16gb corsair 3200mhz which appears to be running at the advertised speed

i hear most of the bios overclocking Presets are not much good ? had previously tried to get a stable overclock on a 4770k using the the intel tuner and some settings refed in one of forum guides but think i lacked out on the lottery

wondering what advice you guys would give with regards to settings , 5GHZ or 5.2 is about the most i can expect right purely air cooling here doubtful that il get a closed loop

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  11. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Check the previous page, I went through much the same question with the same CPU on air.

12. Tazor

Tazor Member

So I was interested to find that my 9700K with it's TDP limited to 65W still boosts to 4.9Ghz and seems to not have any sort of performance impact.

Using a Noctua L9i at the moment so had to limit the power limit to avoid overheating, but though that was an interesting note.

13. shane41

shane41 Member

These processors are alot cooler less volts without Hyperthreading.
    When I bench 54x or more on 3D. The HT turned off might save 0.06v ... which is a lot
    _______

Keep looking @ the 9900K ... but a purchase from the shops may be unlucky for a 51x max on watercooling.
    Why the new x299 are appealing. Bigger surface area IHS ... from what I've seen Kabylake tech. Hmm reviews ... goes looking again :weirdo:

14. amanbra

amanbra Member

I suspect that if you blasted it with handbrake to might find it throttles but for general use should be okay. My U9S on the 9900k only throttles on constant avx workloads. I simply set tjmax to 90 and let it do its thing. Extended Handbrake run it throttles to 4.5ghz bouncing between 4.7 and 4.5.

15. Tazor

Tazor Member

Oh no doubt! Haha, but I'm just playing games so I'm hardly pushing it very far! I'm just glad the CPU is able to hit it's boost clocks easily with the TDP restrictions to keep my minimum fps higher and steady.
    But yes, if I stressed it I'm sure I'd see some decent throttling.

16. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Quick question guys. My son has a 9700k and at stock settings in bios should the CPU not be down clocking ? It is always at 4.6. No more or no less on all cores. I have reset his bios a few times and speedstep etc is all on.

Thanks.

Edit: Think it may be something in Windows from stopping it going idle. Have checked and he is on balanced power profile.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  17. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Nope. As I've discovered and talked about with a few people, the 9700K doesn't downclock the way you'd think it does. It'll happily stay anywhere from 4.2-4.9GHz while idle, but the important thing is to look at the "total CPU Package" wattage figure (use Core Temp or HWInfo) - it should be around 9-11W when idle on desktop. And that's with the top Performance power plan.

To ensure the lowest power usage without affecting performance (unless he's aiming for a very high overclock), I suggest manually enabling all C-States, Turbo, SpeedStep and Speed Shift to Enabled in the BIOS, and disabling Multicore enhancements.

If he's manually clocking the CPU to a set frequency and/or manually setting the voltage, then yes he may have higher idle clocks and power usage as normal.

In any case, this CPU doesn't appear to need to idle at its lowest 800MHz clock speed in order to be in the lowest power saving C-state.

18. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

16.26W with nothing going on.

19. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

What utility is that in, and is that min, max, average?

Meanwhile, there's a party going on in my CPU, and everybody is invited:

Untitled.jpg

Custom power plan using the High Performance plan as base, he can try the settings above. But frankly, I'm fairly certain that it's a BIOS setting. Some of the power-saving C-states are disabled by default, and depending on certain options, may be automatically disabled altogether. Don't worry about the clock speeds, it's the power usage that needs to get a bit lower.

Should look something like this in my opinion to get the best power usage:

Untitled.jpg

20. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member