Z5400 vs Z5500

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by yihfeng, Jan 4, 2007.

1. yihfeng

yihfeng Member

Hey guys,

My current audio set up consists of a Sound Blaster Live! 24bit External USB sound card (Link: http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=10702&nav=2) and a Logitech X-530.

Kinda got abit of spare cash to spend at the momment and thought I would buy a new set of speakers, either the 5400 or th 5500 by logitech.

I would imagine this question being asked quite often, but I when I searched the forums and google there weren't any real reviews regarding the 5400 (if someone could find me one, please do :)). I've heard the 5500 before I know they are awesome, but they are slightly over budget for me. The 5400 seems decent since there is no way I can turn up my volume anyways. Just not sure what those who have heard both the 5400 and the 5500 think? Is it worth the extra cash?

Thank you for any input :) Cheers :)

2. Cornflake

Cornflake Member

Most of the cost of the 5400's seems to stem from the fact that they have wireless rear speakers. The 5500's are more powerful and sound excellent if they're anything like my Z-680's, which the 5500's are pretty much just a redesign of. I haven't heard either of the systems but personally I would throw in an extra hundred or so and get the 5500's for the additional power, unless you really want wireless rear speakers.

3. OP
    OP
    yihfeng

yihfeng Member

Cornflake: the Z5400 are without wireless. The Z5450 are the ones with wireless. I am not sure if the Z5400 is exactly the same as the Z540 besides the wired/wireless thing though?

4. Optinreich

Optinreich Member

Get the z5500D for sure...

5. Cornflake

Cornflake Member

Didn't know there were two versions, sorry, but yeah they look the same as each other in terms of specifications

6. CommanderEl

CommanderEl Member

If you can afford it, go with the 5500's. More power, with the right sound card, they sound very clear and the bass will rattle any floor :p

They aren't perfect speakers though, no where near the quality of monitoring speakers. What do you need them for? DVD watching, game playing? Are the neighbours going to complain?

In any case, they are both a good set of speakers, it all depends on how loud you are allowed to crank them because the biggest difference lies in the power output.

7. OP
    OP
    yihfeng

yihfeng Member

I probably should have mentioned that without asking, but yea, DVD watching and Songs. I don't game ;)

Definitely, I'll never be able to crank the 5400s up to more than a quater usually, and if there is a big occasion, mayb up to 50%?

So you reckon they sound the same, just one is louder than the other?

Thanks anyways :)

8. nVIDIAxp

nVIDIAxp Member

hmm

seems i'm facing the same problem

hard to decide between Z5450 wireless and Z5500

its mainly for watching movie, gaming

do you guys reckon Z5450 gonna be better cuz of the wireless thing?

decision..decision..decision....

any comments?

oh btw. the sound card gotta be a x-fi :)

9. Optinreich

Optinreich Member

The wireless are a pain in the ass plus the z5500D blow the z5400 and 5450 out of the water it terms of max RMS and overall output. From what i have heard the rear so called wireless speakers of the z5450 require there own power supply thus not really making them wireless if you get me?. Just get the z5500D's, i got them for movies and gaming and all i can say for $$$ they're excellent.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  10. OP
    OP
    yihfeng

yihfeng Member

Heys, as I was just mentioning, I don't really care about max RMS, but I do care about the sound quality. Question is, is the 5500's sound quality so much better than the 5400 that it justifies the extra price?

11. Optinreich

Optinreich Member

You will get a much better experience out of the z5500's. I think it's worth it ;) But if if don't want a louder along with clear experience just go the cheaper ones. It's your call
    :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  12. godkilla

godkilla Member

I have a set of 5400s mainly for movies and music, and i think they're great.

Oddly enough, not everything comes down to max power output, otherwise we'd all be buying those dodgy 10000W+ speaker sets from ebay.

There is a reasonable price different between the 5400 and the 5500 too. I've seen the 5400s for ~$300, while the cheapest 5500s are ~$420.

Plus the control box for the 5400s looks sooo much better than the one for the 5500s.:)

13. OP
    OP
    yihfeng

yihfeng Member

Thanks people :D I know full well that the 5500s are completely utterly awesome. I just wanna know how much more? And was wondering if anyone has heard both.

Still, thanks for all the inputs so far :) I'll ponder things over ;)

Cheers :D

14. TheImp

TheImp Member

try going into your local Harvey's. They should have both sets? Not sure if they display them with the ability to listen.. but its worth a shot.

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yeah don't worry about what other people have heard. Being such similar sets you'd need to listen side by side and see for yourself.

Varies from store to store but some harvey's in bris at least have them all on display with a switchbox.

Unfortunatly most play shithouse music through them too, but that's IMHO

16. OP
    OP
    yihfeng

yihfeng Member

Fact is, I'd rather trust people who got a good chance to listen to both, rather than going into a noisy shop and not being able to tell A from B :S

ie, I don't trust my ears in a shop :S Too many variables: A baby might be crying, someone might be talking loudly, there might be a announcement on the PA, the sales staff might be staring at you like you are wasting their time and you feel uncomfortable, they might turn up the volume of the 5500 just so that they can sell it, they might play some pretty crappy songs. They usually dont' have things set up in a 5.1 fashion, etc etc.

So yea, I'd probably try to listen to the general opinions more and try to rely on the shop less ;)

Cheers :D

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yes but the Z5400 isn't exactly that popular. What are the chances 2 people will have owned both, and not have had one setup in their house, and one they heard in a shop.

If you find that person, and they have the same requirments as you, then you're in luck.

Anyway, specifications wise the Z5500 wins, not just in power but SQ loss trhough wireless, and possibly better drivers from what I've seen, but haven't looked in depth.

18. super kermit

super kermit Member

Another option as I was pondering the same issue -

Ended up buying a yamaha RXV359B amp + 4 Dick Smith Bookshelf speakers + the Dick Smith Centre for $428 all up.

Beats the logitechs for dust at the same outlay

19. OP
    OP
    yihfeng

yihfeng Member

Lol, but with 80k members, OCAU is still worth the try ;)

Again, 5400 doesn't have the wireless stuff (who the hell would want those if they have to drage the power cables anyways? The 5450 has them ;)

Anyways, a mate of mine (albeit in a drunken state), recommended me the 5500, so yea, maybe I'll get those ;)

We'll see how things goes ;) Thanks for the inputs though :D

Cheers :)

20. squall_leonhart

squall_leonhart Member

Indeed, the Z5400 and Z5450 look the same, but the Z5450 has 2 wireless surround speakers.

problem is, the Z5450 is prone to radio interference.

i've heard the Z5500's and they sound awesome,.. my local eb's both have Z5500 systems setup and even in a noisy store, you can still clearly hear them.