Z5500...Did i just get a free fix?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ShadoX, Jul 7, 2010.

1. ShadoX

ShadoX Member

G'day folks

This ones odd too me. My z5500's have suffered the same fate as many others before me have. The LED's have slowly been dying, then eventually, just died about a week ago.

So last sunday i decided to have a crack at fixing the LED's my self as per this guide (Since my Z5500's are way way WAY out of warranty)

Anywho, i couldn't really get em to work right and ended up still with no LED's so i figured, screw it i'll see if i can get a new one.

I shot off an email to some logitech address (i think it was off a the US logitech site but i couldn't find any AUS specific site) stating my LED's had died and specifically saying i wished to purchase a new one (and that i couldn't source a POD from anywhere in Aus, and whether or not they could sell me one or point me in the right direction)

Anyway, next day, got an email back stating they'd be glad to help me, they asked me for my shipping address and said they'd forward my email to their australian department. I replied stating my thanks, with my shipping details and also a request for a costing of the new price.

Today i check my email and surprise surprise, i had one from logitech again, and basically it was a short email stating they were "pleased to inform me" that a new control POD had been dispatched Today - july 7th 2010, and to please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery. No mention of parts cost, or delivery costs, no mention of me having to send my old pod to them. Their just....sending me a new one?

So im pretty dumb struck atm, absolutely awesome that im getting a new one, but wow do they do this often? Does this seem odd to anyone else? Like really for them to send me a POD for free, even though my hardware is years out of warranty, im pretty damn well amazed!

Whats everyone elses thoughts? has this happened to anyone else? perhaps they did this because mines apart of the "old" revision of pods? (apparently they changed the design to avoid the LED issues in later revisions of the z5500's, as i've read?)

so im effectively going to end up with 2 pods now :O :wired:

2. SingAlong

SingAlong (Banned or Deleted)

Good stuff. Logitech just got a +1 in my books! :thumbup:

3. karnage112

karnage112 Member

great to hear. my pod has been flickering in the past but seems to have disappeared. i thought i would be screwed if my pod died but its good to hear that i can try get a replacement from logitech if it dies in the future.

4. encoderboy

encoderboy Member

What a great result! Kudos to Logitech, that's outstanding customer care.

Reminds me of Palm way back in the day. I had an early Palm Pilot that died.. called them up. They couriered me out a new one (newer, better model too) the next day. Along with a prepaid padded package to return my broken one in.

They did exactly the same thing for me a few years later when a Palm 3 died on me.

Old skool, excellent customer service like this is the sort of thing that earns a lifetime of sales from me.

5. eskimogenius

eskimogenius Member

Thats when you give them a big thank you, leave a good feedback. And stfu so you can get more free stuff in the future.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, I will give this a go as mine has been flickering for some time now.....doesn't really phase me but I don't like it. I'm fully prepared to pay for it if required, but if it's at no charge that would be great.

Mine would probably be out of warranty also.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've sent off my email tonight so will see how I go.

Maybe they are just trying to get rid of old stock anyways.....not going to do much for them holding onto the pods.

8. dingdong555

dingdong555 Member

Same thing happened to me, they replaced it and sent a new one out within the next day. Recieved the new one and it's how it should be :)

Their service has been great, I think they're honouring it as they KNOW it's a common problem.

9. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

Mine stopped working completely a year ago.

Its a pain in the arse but its not worth ruining the remaining warranty or going without speakers for weeks.

Great guide though, thanks :)

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You had to send your old one back?

11. OP
    OP
    ShadoX

ShadoX Member

Will do, I'm hoping it wasn't an accident :p honestly I expected them to say the pods weren't available for purchase or to charge a fee that's verging on just buying a new set of z5500s. I never expected this, I'm still half expecting it to turn up with a bill or not at all

let's hope i'm wrong and this truely is just a company doing a good deed :)
    everyone else who emails em let us know the outcome :) I'd be interested to know if this was a one off, or if their fixing a known problem or this is just a new stance ?

12. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

No not yet.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

But they have requested you return it?

14. OP
    OP
    ShadoX

ShadoX Member

um, can we not turn this thread into a "the z5500's and all other logitech audio is crap sez the audiophile" thread please? Thanks :)

anyway, i have FREAKIN AWESOME NEWS

So i got my email last night right, saying they were posted out on 7th of july 2010 and to allow 1 to 2 weeks postage right?

I arrived home from work today to be told a "random big package turned up for you today"....It was my new POD ! I was totally not expecting the pod for atleast another week, so i was scratching my head as to what it was, all the while thinking...come on, it can't be....

but sure enough it was, and i took photo's :) POD's hooked up and running perfectly as we speak, and nice and bright too ! There was nothing else with the pod, no letters/documents/bills, just a brown box with a pod bubble wrapped in it.

The one thing i was worried about was whether or not the existing remote would work with this pod (i assumed it would, but worried it wouldn't)...i was right, it works fine :)

Logitech just shot up 100 points in my books :)

I'll post up the unboxing after dinner (and after i resize them from their stupidly giant resolutions)

15. Dorz

Dorz Member

nice work! i should have done this before i tried (and failed) to fix the burnt IC on my set!

16. i_often

i_often Member

Amazing service. Sort of stuff that puts a smile on my face.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok, well I got my return email from logitech support and subject to availability they will send me a replacement : )

They said it may cost me $10US but hey, that's basically just a shipping charge, can't be unhappy about that!

So yeah, excellent news.

Have to go hunting for serial numbers etc now....

18. OP
    OP
    ShadoX

ShadoX Member

whoa whoa, settle down bro, i never had you did

$10US? Jeeze definitely nothing to complain about there, hell i was ready to pay upwards of $60-$70 for a new pod when i first emailed them (and in the end, its cost me absolutely nothing except some of my time)
    I wonder what caused their change in stance? or have they always had this stance? perhaps their acknowledging theres a design fault with the old pods? (which i assume they could tell from the model numbers/etc you have to give them when you email them) Who knows, what ever it is, their doing a bang up job, i can't praise them enough for this

anyway, pic's away ! (Click for larger)

The box (after it was taken out of the parcel post bag)
    [​IMG]

It really did come from logitech :)
    [​IMG]

What the pod arrived in
    [​IMG]

Wrapped up fairly snugly
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Out of the bag !
    [​IMG]

The old pod
    [​IMG]

Old + New
    [​IMG]

The new pod all powered up :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And my setup :)
    [​IMG]

And all for freeeeee! Logitech truely did come through, what a top notch company !

ps....now i've got an extra pod...Hmmm...i'll rebox it and shelve it.....for now :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  19. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

another +10 for Logitech from me too. New M950 after some troubles with my G7.

Glad to hear they sorted you out.

20. ICEW0LF

ICEW0LF Member

how do you find it compared to the G7? my G7 is working perfectly other then the reduced battery life(cant complain after 4 years or so) but if it ever dies i will need to know if there is a worthy replacement?