Zeiss ZE range including 21/2.8 distagon

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by tHRiCe, Sep 15, 2008.

1. tHRiCe

tHRiCe Member

Carl Zeiss will announce later today their new native EOS mount line of lenses.

At the moment it is known that the Planar 50/1.4 and Planar 85/1.4 will be released in the native EF mount. The new lenses will feature auto-aperture, and focus confirmation and as such do not have an aperture ring. They will still be manual focus.

Another very exciting item for landscape shooters is the anticipated announcement of a 21mm f/2.8 Distagon. The design is almost identical to the Contax-Zeiss Distagon 21/2.8 widely accepted as the highest performing wide angle lens ever made for the 35mm format. The lens features one more element than the Contax version, whether this is simply to compensate for not being able to use heavy metals in the glass formula or to correct the "moustache" distortion that plagues the contax lens remains to be seen.

http://www.digitalkamera.de/Meldung/Neue_Objektive_von_Zeiss_jetzt_auch_mit_EF_Bajonett/5111.aspx

[​IMG]
    21mm distagon, shown in ZF mount.

2. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Good news for Canon, bad news for those who bought the Contax version for US$2.4k used + adapter... Digitalcamera.de says the new one will be E1.4k which usually translates to around US$1.6k plus you get a warranty.

Still Nikon wins in spec even if the extra element has corrected the moustache. The piccies will tell :)

3. Lukey

Lukey Member

Ok without sifting through pages on google. What exactly do elements and groups do in lenses? I mean as in what is the relevance of having say less groups and more elements or whatever?

4. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

more elements usually means less light.
    More elements means distortion correction but sometimes at the cost of vignetting or Cromatic Abrasion

the quality of glass these days means more elements to correct distrotion at less light falloff as well as shorter barrels

have a read about canons DO technology

5. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Well its a little complicated and beyond my knowledge to be honest, but here's the little I have gathered:

Elements are effectively the pieces of glass in a lens, and groups is how they're grouped together, sometimes glued in groups of 2,3,4 etc. Additional glass elements are used to correct distortions, bend the light in wide angle lenses to project a plane image on the sensor, achieve closer focusing distance, correct erratic bokeh, corner softness etc. As a general rule, the less glass and air between the glass and the less you try to bend the light, the easier it is to avoid distortions, flare, softness, CA etc. More elements means greater craftmanship and accuracy required to avoid artifacts. The previous version of this particular lens was famous for its weird moustache-shape distortion and we are guessing that's what the extra element has been added for.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  6. OP
    OP
    tHRiCe

tHRiCe Member

Also, the previous version of this lens was incredibly complex! yet had no CA and the sharpest corners of any wide angle lens ever. It also peaked at f/5.6 (usually small enough aperture for any ultra-wide angle to get everything in focus using hyperfocal distance) allowing more light and as a result less likely motion blur. The centre however is as sharp at 2.8 as it is at 5.6.
    [​IMG]
    for comparison here is a 50mm planar:
    [​IMG]
    I almost bought it! Thank god I waited.

PTLens can correct the Contax 21/2.8 distortion.

here is a test comparing it to the 17-40L and the nikon 17-35.

7. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

The Contax version was also compared to the Nikon 14-24 and managed to beat that too: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/nikon1424_21mm/nikon1424_21mm1.html . Still no other zoom to match or exceed the 14-24 though, unless Sony's new 16-35 works miracles. Here's hoping for good things from everybody's next round of lenses!

I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that Zeiss will be making EF-mount lenses now, but I look forward to a shootout between the ZE 85mm f/1.4 and Canon's f/1.2 version more than the 21mm results as I'm not a wide-angle fan.

8. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

Yay... good glass for the masses :thumbup: starts saving for my 21mm :)

9. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

10. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

According to that website it's the 29th of September 2008 :lol:

11. azz

azz Member

Oh how I would love a 50 f1.4 with auto aperture and a focusing ring that is designed to be used!

If it has practically no CA and interesting bokeh, and under $500, I'm in :thumbup:

12. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

not likely... try about 1K for the 50 and 1.7K for the 85

13. azz

azz Member

Hmm BH has nikon mount for $517 USD...but that probably isn't worth it over my $50 Zuiko, unless the CZ wipes my arse, makes me breakfast and gives me a blowjob.

14. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

you might be right, was just going on the RRP from the website...

Recommended retail price of both lenses:
    Planar T* 1,4/50 ZE 579 euros (incl. 19% German VAT)
    Planar T* 1,4/85 ZE 999 euros (incl. 19% German VAT)

15. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

$517? Looks like USD 1033 to me: Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 Planar T* Manual Focus Lens for Nikon

What else will the CZ have to do then? :p

16. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

17. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

I wouldnt touch any of them :)

The 85 has to compete with two of Canon's best lenses at 85mm and its not easy at all to MF a telephoto. I have the 85/1.4 for the Contax/Yashica mount and I dont really expect this one to be that much better. E999 will probably translate to something like AU$1,500 by the time it gets here and you can still pick up the C/Y version one for around AU$600 if you really want Zeiss MF.

The 50 should be great. But for that price there are dozens of MF 50's you can mount on a Canon, including some fantastic f/1.2's like the Pentax SMC-A or the Rokkor 58mm.

The 21 was legendary until the Nikon 14-24 came out. For the price I'd go Nikon and get 14mm too, especially when decent adapters come out.

18. azz

azz Member

Wrong lens buddy :p

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/441695-REG/Zeiss_1405_174_50mm_f_1_4_ZF_Manual.html

Ahh RRP, couldn't be stuffed navigating the CZ site in a foreign language.

19. djfiesta

djfiesta Member

Super interested in the 85/1.4, I was even starting to look for the Nikkor 85/1.4 Ai-S since I already had an adapter.

It's much cheaper than the 85L too, so Zeiss here me comes!

20. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I dont understand why you'd buy any of them, unless you've got a particular hardon for anything branded zeiss no matter where they're actually made.

The 50mm doesnt even perform as well as nikon's AF-D, which doesnt perform as well as canon's f/1.4 anyway, let alone the f/1.2. You're paying more than the price of canon's f/1.4 for a manual focus lens that to be frank looks and feels and performs exactly like an old piece of shit cosina, mostly because it IS the old piece of this cosina. Slapping a zeiss label on it doesnt mean it's a german design, let alone built in germany

I'd either save the pennies and get canon's f/1.4, or spend some more pennies, put up with the weight, and get the f/1.2L. And now there's the sigma to throw in the mix too.

As for the 85mm, please. Both of canon's 85mms are simply supurb, the f/1.8 costs less, is built just fine, and is a stunning performer

The 21mm's another matter entirely if it shows up though