Zen3 Ryzen 4000 won't work on B450 or X470 motherboards

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by stuhad, May 8, 2020.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yeah I'm pissed, would have gone x570 had they communicated this.

2. Phido

Phido Member

Arhh well, lets all go and return our B450 boards..

3. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Such a fast progression
    And yet another change when ddr5 comes in the not too distant future
    I haven't seen a roadmap for ddr5 futures yet :p

And socket 1700 from Intel? Post 1200

Its all so ...x86ie

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

That's the thing, B550 would be a one Gen design. I can't understand the logic when the socket is the same. At worse leave it to the motherboard manufacturers like b350 and ryzen 3000

5. luke o

luke o Member

Someone on reddit pulled the BIOS apart on B450, 11.5mb used currently each gen takes about 1.5-2mb so in reality there is plenty of space to add these upcoming CPU's. It's pure market segmentation, if the socket is the same there is absolutely no reason they should not be able to work.

6. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Yes, it's essentially creating a whole new socket where neither CPU nor mainboard has any backward compatibility. It'd actually make more sense to add/remove a pin to eliminate physical compatibility, just to prevent people accidentally installing an incompatible CPU.

With that said, I suggest just waiting and seeing what turns up. I expect that we'll see A320/B450 BIOS updates with support for the new chips, probably before you can actually buy a B550 board in Australia. Worst-case, if this does come off, I expect there'll be plenty of cheap B450 boards and compatible chips on the market as everyone tries to dump the old stock.

RnR likes this.
  7. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

At least if the socket design is the same the HSF will still fit, right? Otherwise that is another $100 down the shitter.

8. RnR

RnR Member

It should still fit. AM4 is AM4... at least in the physical form.

9. Nian

Nian Member

AMD gave an excuse. It's a lie. But when did that ever stop a big corporation?

10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

two Gen

I don't understand what you mean by this?

Just on the topic of B550 for a second.. It's probably worth remembering that this situation, whilst it's AMD's problem entirely, is caused by the delays experienced by Asmedia getting the Chipset rolled out. This should have been something that was brought up ~6mths ago when the chipset was supposed to be launched,( but wasn't). A time when people probably wouldn't have been pissed off about since 3000 series was new (well some still would, because they're pissed off at everything) . The fuckup on AMD's part was therefore not mentioning it regardless (somehow - it's a bit of an awkward thing to bring up when there's no alternative for midrange)

11. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

So is a 4000 chip flat out not going to work? Or is it just "not supported" ?

12. RnR

RnR Member

Remains to be seen. A 3950X is "not supported" on the A320 chipset, but it still runs on some boards :)

335 GT likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    stuhad

stuhad Member

This is my understanding of the situation at the moment:

AMD's official stance is that it is not going to be possible. They have even said they flat out won't be providing motherboard makers the code they need to add support for zen3 on 400 series chipsets - see the hardware unboxed video.

Having said that who knows what will actually happen once zen3 is released, as most people here point out AMD said similar things about dropping support for the 300 chipset with zen2.

For what it is worth I've decided to keep my b450 mb, too much hassle to try to return it and I'm willing to roll the dice and see what happens when Zen3 actually releases. Just super annoyed that I actually put off my build waiting for b550 to come out for months before pulling the trigger and buying this mb only to be told this. Might not be all AMD's fault but I felt that they waited to release even longer as they wanted to take media attention away from Intel's z490/comet lake releases.

Obviously if you haven't already purchased a mb you should wait for b550 to guarantee support.

14. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Surely it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to adapt the code from the 500 chipsets back to the 400 chipsets? Maybe we'll see some BIOS hacking activity among the AMD community to make this happen.

15. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Not sure about this new gen but back in the k8 days I ran unsupported CPUs for years.

Never had a problem it would just identify as unsupported in the bios and benchmarked within spec.

16. ViSM

ViSM Member

MSI's website here says that the max boards will support all future AM4 product releases so hopefully they make good on that -

Bullet point E https://www.msi.com/blog/msis-max-motherboard-lineup

They are also still coming out with max versions (B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max) to be released later this month so who in their right mind would buy that over B550 boards if it doesn't support Zen3?

17. Scotty_DDR

Scotty_DDR Member

I wouldn't get too down on it, ryzen 4000 is still a while off and I wouldn't think it worth getting a b550 board until ryzen 4000 are available, by then hopefully the current pandemic economic woes will have stabilized and pricing and stock levels will be good on these boards, pretty much by the time it comes around that you'd be wanting to upgrade to a 4000 cpu, you'll likely have mature b550 boards on the market with features that you wouldn't have got for the same price had you bought one on launch.

As a casual gamer I just bought a ryzen 3600x and a b450 board and I wont upgrade now until ddr5 is mainstream and a 32GB kit is less than $250.

18. nope

nope Member

tbqh x370/470 and below hasnt aged well at all bad vrms shitty bios

19. hawkus

hawkus Member

Well the irony is they will be providing the code to m/b manufacturers for the B550 boards so I doubt it would take much black magic for the m/b manufactures just to adopt it to B450? Couldn't imagine it would be a whole lot different.

20. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Depends on if they block them specifically in the agesa code like they did for pcie4 and x470 boards or don't block them like a320 and zen2 or x570 and zen1