Zen3 Ryzen 4000 won't work on B450 or X470 motherboards

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by stuhad, May 8, 2020.

1. Maldark

Maldark Member

Lets face it, this forum is in the minority here. "Most people" never do an in socket upgrade. Hell I consider myself an enthusiast and I only ditched my i5 2500k 2 months ago when it was finally showing its age.

2. 335 GT

335 GT Member

99% of the outrage.

By 0.000001% of the computer buying population

TRG.dOinK likes this.
  3. Phido

Phido Member

Still pretty bad you only got one generation out of a purchase. And you can't trust a manufacturer when they say you will specifically be able to put ryzen 4000 into your motherboard and then you can't.

I think its pretty stupid as it is with AMD compatibility.

B450 and X470 boards are compatible with 4000G processors, but not compatible with 4000 series processors. B550 and X570 boards are compatible with 3000 series processors but incompatible with 3000G series processors.

Meanwhile my Socket 3 and Socket 7 boards can take half a dozen different manufacturers CPU's and span a huge range of generations. AMD can't even make a bios that is compatible with all 3000 and 4000 series processors.

Yet AMD will put both products onto the market at the same time and will do so for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  4. nope

nope Member

im pissed
    just got another ab450 board as a backup pc and i read this shit

boycotting zen3 and waiting for 4+ and ddr5 and pull their heads out of their ass

5. RnR

RnR Member

That video was posted yesterday on the previous page, and Lisa Su has said to 'Stay tuned'... so its not all settled as yet.

6. Phido

Phido Member

IMO I think Lisa will say yes to b450 and x470. Unsupported user Beta only.. No CPU exchange for flashing etc.

7. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

Wait and see which specific models manufacturers bother to support though.

8. nope

nope Member

amd are being a massive dick about this
    build up good will for 3 years and shit on it
    not gonna touch am4 crap again.

9. grrrr

grrrr Member

i haven't upgraded yet and at this point in time plan to jump on the Zen3 / 4000. I feel many peoples butt hurt, but I personally hope they don't gimp anything in the Zen3 to get it to run on b450 boards.

If it runs gimped on a b450 board compared to a 550 board there will be just as much complaining.

nope likes this.
  10. nope

nope Member

Dude it's already gimped on a320-x470
    No pcie4 slower memory less
    Then there's this

11. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

X570 is expensive because PCIe 4.0. It requires more layers and more components, therefore it has to cost more. Whether or not the mobo oems are scooping out a bigger margin just because they can is another story.
    I bought the C6H in 1H 2017 and it has been fine with all CPU's I've run through it (1800X, 2200G, 3000G, 200GE, 3600X) using 3200 MT/s G.Skill C14 B-die.
    Pretty sure Steve Walton from 'harbour box' is Victorian and based in VIC. :D

335 GT and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    stuhad

stuhad Member

13. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

And now I can chime in here, support will be available but it won't be as clear cut as previous generations were.

Snippet and link below

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/gmp45o/the_zen_3_architecture_is_coming_to_amd_x470_and

1. We will develop and enable our motherboard partners with the code to support “Zen 3”-based processors in select beta BIOSes for AMD B450 and X470 motherboards.
    2. These optional BIOS updates will disable support for many existing AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor models to make the necessary ROM space available.
    3. The select beta BIOSes will enable a one-way upgrade path for AMD Ryzen Processors with “Zen 3,” coming later this year. Flashing back to an older BIOS version will not be supported.
    4. To reduce the potential for confusion, our intent is to offer BIOS download only to verified customers of 400 Series motherboards who have purchased a new desktop processor with “Zen 3” inside. This will help us ensure that customers have a bootable processor on-hand after the BIOS flash, minimizing the risk a user could get caught in a no-boot situation.
    5. Timing and availability of the BIOS updates will vary and may not immediately coincide with the availability of the first “Zen 3”-based processors.
    6. This is the final pathway AMD can enable for 400 Series motherboards to add new CPU support. CPU releases beyond “Zen 3” will require a newer motherboard.
    7. AMD continues to recommend that customers choose an AMD 500 Series motherboard for the best performance and features with our new CPUs.

cbjaust, RnR and adamsleath like this.
  14. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

In before people brick their motherboards and then bitch at AMD for that instead. :lol:

connico, asho444, c4dderly and 5 others like this.
  15. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Why not increase bios size on any $200+ mobo ffs.

dirkmirk likes this.
  16. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

So with the news that it Is coming to B450, I'd you were thinking of buying in now... What motherboard would you be looking at?

Open question to anyone

17. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

If I didn't already have X570 and planned to upgrade to Ryzen 4000, I'd still be buying into it, or I'd be waiting for B550. When all this was announced I thought B450 owners shouldn't be too upset, with the exception of "max" buyers, they kinda got duped, but the rest, their low end boards can still support the current flagship 16 core cpus, which is pretty damn good for a cheap board.

335 GT likes this.
  18. kogi

kogi Member

MSI B450M Mortar Max ( m-ATX though )

19. Phido

Phido Member

Low end? $200-$800 is low end?

Where are the 550b boards?

Gimped? Plenty of b450 and x470 support pci4.

Anyway, reason prevailed at amd, props for changing their mind given the response.

20. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Who in their right mind pays $800 for a B450 or X470? And I'm not talking about upon release, I'm talking about people buying B450 recently or later hoping for zen3 support, what are you talking about?

Yes, $200 is lower end when it comes to AM4, AM4 boards range from dirt cheap to $1000+, B450 sits in the lower teirs of that range and will be lower again come B550, there's nothing wrong with that, they're still good, they're cheap and they still support flagship chips.

Where are B550, coming? They'll certainly be available before zen3 is released, which is why I said I would wait? If you bothered to read. I mean no offense by calling b450 lower end, I'm just being realistic, honest and reasonable in my assessment, they're pretty damn good boards for the lower end of the spectrum and they're even better now that they will support zen3, I'll still be spending a little extra for fully featured out of the box support for the next zen build I'm planning, thats my opinion and my answer to the question that was posed and its not wrong.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    335 GT likes this.