Zen3 Ryzen 4000 won't work on B450 or X470 motherboards

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by stuhad, May 8, 2020.

1. Nian

Nian Member

Agreed, it stopped at the end of 2019. I was expecting Zen3 to be a new socket revision AM4+
    Honestly, had they done that, I would have been fine. But they kept going with AM4. Also, I was annoyed by the backflip on PCIe 4.0.

2. luke o

luke o Member

Good news as others have posted, B450 and X470 will support the next gen Ryzen CPU's, they've promised BETA BIOS and it will be up to the board manufacturers to deliver, will strip out old CPU support and only support the new CPU. Will have stipulations one being one way only, cannot downgrade, will require proof you have a new CPU to flash.

3. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'm not sure why they're still being so confusing and vague. For example there's online arguments already over what they really mean e.g.

- once you flash you can't run anything under Ryzen 4000
    OR
    - once you flash you can't run anything under XYZ, presumably Ryzen 1000/2000, and 3000 is fine

I mean surely its the latter (?) but who knows at this stage

nope likes this.
  4. Phido

Phido Member

Yes Ryzen 1000 and 2000 CPU's and APU's likely won't be relevant for anyone wanted to update a b450 board. Just like the X570 boards that can't support anything below a Ryzen 3000 CPU or a Ryzen 4000 APU.

No one is talking about 300 series boards, its assumed they won't get specific support, but a hacked bios I guess is always a possibility.
    This will be quite good for AMD in the long run.. With the 3000 there was a massive shortage of x570 boards. B550 still isn't in retail channel. So there will likely be a shortage of b550 boards, and when B550 is launched very few people will be buying x570. Who needs SLI? PCI4 and overclocking can be done on the b550. You don't need 10 phases of power on Ryzen 4000. Its going to be 30% more efficient than Ryzen 3000.

It seems you will most likely need a serial number of a 4000 series CPU to get the bios or flash it.

It seems like retailers aren't being encouraged to flash 400 series boards with 4000 bioses.

b450 users can then upgrade to 12 or 16 core 4000 series CPU's which will likely use less power than their 8 core 3000 series processors.

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I can only hope that my MAX board will be well covered, because they really sold that 32Mb BIOS feature (which should make adding 4000 support much easier anyway) and its going to be one of the more popular 'bought B450 for Ryzen 3000' options around.

I really hope they don't gate the BIOS though for new purchasers, I mean the plan was always to buy a used 4700X from here in two years time LOL, though likely they'll be all over the interwebs anyway. Whom an I kidding, I probably won't be able to resist, esp. as I'm annoyed at my cooler's noise and this will be the perfect excuse to bother replacing it with that big expensive Noctua I've always been too cheap to actually buy

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  6. Phido

Phido Member

The max will still have limited capability going backwards, but should definitely support all 3000 and 4000. But will still need a bios update.

Amd must be feeling pretty confident. Reports of it being 20% faster generally and 50% faster in encoding might be true.

7. yaphax

yaphax Member

This is already true for my b350 board for 3000 series; there's only one bios that works for both 1000 and 3000 series cpus. if you update past that it won't work for 1000 series. So if it works later on for 4000 series for b450 I don't see why it wouldn't be able to be done for b350. That'd be the dream.

8. hawkus

hawkus Member

I don't think its confusing they've always flagged ROM size as a limitation so to make space for the new CPU's support for some old one's would be dropped. As to which one's I believe that will be up to the M/B manufacturer.

My guess they'll drop at least Ryzen 1 support maybe Ryzen 2. But if you're only upgrading to Ryzen 4 then who cares? Based on what others have said previously there is already quite a bit of room remaining on the BIOS so deleting only the 1 series would likely be enough.

9. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

What people do not realise is this situation was always going to arise as time wears on. All the whiners are very short sighted and forget what the alternative is; in the long run, AMD appears to really be thinking about the end user and also in particular engaging with the niche 'enthusiast DIY' computer building cohort. Even if their messaging leaves a little bit to be disired.

True, but board makers are probably not going want to be able to afford the resources required if they can avoid it.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    335 GT likes this.