Zippo Lighters

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by DzRBenson, Mar 11, 2020.

1. DzRBenson

DzRBenson Member

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted here, probably years and years, however I guess ive ramped up my hobby and enjoying, Collecting Zippo Lighters, I know there are a few others in Aus, and many world wide mostly US, ASIA and Germany.

Ive been collecting for 10ish years or so now, and just went past the 500 mark with some that I am very happy to own. Can add some photos later, I also started an Instagram for a bit of fun and seems to get some good interest.

Few recent pick ups,

2 x WW2 Black Crackle Zippo 1942/43 - 1 Carried in War the other Mint with Box
    2 x Air Brush Zippo (1 by Claudio Mazzi - Aphrodite and 1 by Maaks which is a Hamburger Hill, also having a Tour of Duty Sgt Zeke Anderson done by Maaks)
    1 x Town and Country reverse Prototype Ice Hockey (I paid $25 on a whim for this when i was picking up a Zippo Cabinet, and it turned out to be worth 450USD)
    1 x Gold Plated Facebook collectible

Ive also been pretty lucky to pick up 5 rotating Zippo cabients, 1 Battery operated, 1 Hand spun and 3 Power operated.

Not sure these would be hugely popular, but I enjoy them and thought id share my hobby and enjoyment, Will add some photos later if anyone is interested.

Kommandant33 and Rass like this.
  2. Hive

Hive Member

Zippo fluid. I heard from a mate you can use Shellite instead and it's much cheaper. Anyone tried it?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  3. OP
    OP
    DzRBenson

DzRBenson Member

Ive never heard of that before, I know people who use Ronsonol, but not that. I have played around with a few different chemicals to change the colour of the flame though

Hive likes this.
  4. Zee

Zee Member

I have a Zippo somewhere. Bought it in my late teens, as we used to do a lot of camping, and they hold up well in a breeze to get camp fires started. I still have it somewhere...

Z...

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

6. Rass

Rass Member

I'd be interested in seeing some of your collection.
    Have you ever been burnt on a purchase? I understand there's a massive amount of zippo clones and I'm pretty sure counterfeiting is rampant. I understand there's a few different ways to authenticate a zippo lighter. I always wanted one, but I don't smoke and couldn't really see a practical use for one. Though collecting is a really good reason.

Have you had much to do with their hand warmers or other variants? or are you interested just in the lighters?

7. connico

connico Member

You need a better camera and also a light box to maximise those instagram shots mate!

8. OP
    OP
    DzRBenson

DzRBenson Member

I stay away from the Vietnam era Zippos which is where 90% of the fakes are but yeah there are lots of ways to tell, its not just looking at the stamp its the insert, chimney, cam, chimney holes, insert stamp and a few other ways.

I have a few hand warmers only fired one up for 20 mins or so for a bit of fun, does the job. Also have tape measures, pill boxes, pens, letter openers, clothing, knives etc

Yeah i used to have a nice DSLR, but recently well 3 days ago got a light box delivered and have an 11 pro or a Canon P&S so will try my best, its more for me to put photos up and i find myself looking at them more, given when they are in cabinets every now and again I will go when in the hell did I buy that.

Rass likes this.
  9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I remember years back getting a zippo with the idea of carrying it in my jeans watch pocket as one of those edc be prepared things. After sitting down for 15mins and feeling the zippo fluid start to leak out into my underwear I quickly discarded that idea and never carried one again...

Surely this isn't how it's supposed to work though?

10. Rass

Rass Member

I had a cheap clone a number of years ago and it ran out of fluid on the regular. I don't honestly know how often you need to refill them or if you were putting too much fluid in if it was leaking.

11. connico

connico Member

The liquid does disappear pretty quickly

12. OP
    OP
    DzRBenson

DzRBenson Member

That really only happens when the Zippo is over filled. Which is easy to do.

13. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

I have one of the 1941 Replica ones which I love, but find every time I go to use it it's dried out. To be fair that's pretty infrequently, because I don't smoke and only use it for camping. Tried keeping it in a ziplock as per the internet's advice but that doesn't do much.

14. Revenge

Revenge Member

I have a couple floating around somewhere, including one that I got given at a presentation for Musicman which I believe is incredibly limited in number.
    Haven't used them for years since I gave up the smokes 10 years ago.

Went to the factory when i was in the USA last, didn't even twig until I was driving into Bradford Pennsylvania and saw the sign on the factory roof..

15. alexb618

alexb618 Member

my old man used to have a zippo (smoker for his whole life until about 2010), i will never forget the opening/closing sound, heard it about ten billion times a day.

16. Builds By Baz

Builds By Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Have you heard the difference between a Hippo and a Zippo?

One is really heavy, the other is a little lighter.

You're welcome.

Baz.

17. Ecstasy

Ecstasy Member

#250PB.107 - C 09 (March 2009) Playboy Bunny Black & White High Polish Chrome

I only have the one and a Fuel Canister ... And I don't smoke.
    Just got them at the time because I thought they were cool and I wanted to 'own a Zippo'.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  18. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I've got one. Google image search 'antique brass zippo' and it looks like any of those

But yeah got over it immediately when I realised the fluid just evaporates within a few days. No use at all unless I smoke daily

19. OP
    OP
    DzRBenson

DzRBenson Member

20. OP
    OP
    DzRBenson

DzRBenson Member

That’s awesome, would love to see photos!