1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Zoom Meeting

Discussion in 'General Software' started by KANNIS, Apr 7, 2020.

1. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

So who is using this and how do you find it? It seems to be the new thing to get us through this tough time. I find the software is really good but the contacts section is a tad clunky. Add to that, I've just lost my company contacts list this morning. Anyone else?

2. power

power Member

Zoom is garbage, pick something else.

elvis likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I know, I tried but the boss wanted this.

4. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Disagree. Zoom is great. Easy to use, inexpensive, performance is acceptable, Single Sign on, and integration with learning platforms is also good.

BurningFeetMan and Kommandant33 like this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Seems to be some controversy recently over Zoom.

We use MS Teams, seems to work well for us in all aspects.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  6. sammy_b0i

As mentioned in that article, the controversy comes from people not doing any basic research before rolling it out, or using it.

We're using it in a school of 1600 kids. Every class from Preschool to Year 12 has multiple daily Zoom sessions. We've locked it down as much as possible and have no concerns regarding "Zoom-Bombing". Authentication, waiting rooms, mute on entry, disable screen sharing except for host, disable virtual background, disable chat unless directly with host, no file sharing, etc, etc. It's not hard to do at all.

7. nav

nav Member

The last few years has seen our company burn through Skype, WebEx and LoopUp - all of them have atrocious quality issues. Zoom is the only decent solution we've seen for a very long while.

-nav.

8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

So what you're saying is that the defaults are needlessly terrible?

sammy_b0i likes this.
  9. Phido

Phido Member

zoom is decent, its easy to use, multiplatform. But it has its issues.
    As a generic tool its ok.

But for specific purposes (ie teaching, webinars, webcasts, etc) use a better tool.

10. power

power Member

even Skype would be preferred.

11. sammy_b0i

And your suggestion for a better tool for teaching is....

12. connico

connico Member

Fuck skype... MS Teams is where it's at... Skype and Skype for business was shit and is still shit...

Zoom is a good generic tool with excellent hardware support from AV vendors. The issue with Zoom is the concerns around security and the default setting. Audio and Video quality can be hit and miss depending on bandwidth, but for the average joe / meathead its click and connect.

MS Teams and Cisco Teams (replacing Webex) are the top contenders for larger organisations

Google classroom + hangouts

Adobe connect if you can afford it lol

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  13. Phido

Phido Member

Thats the million dollar question.. I personally use PhidoTeach3000 (TM), the best teaching software out there.

Depends what you want to do. Moodle has some tools. Blackboard has some tools like Collaborate ULTRA. But again, depends on what you want to do. Also concider if it needs to happen in that format.

Do you need a synchronous learning experience? Do you really need a meeting like this? 90% of meetings should be replaced with a memo/email etc.

14. sammy_b0i

When you're a parent paying the fees associated with a nice, private/independent school, you want your kids to have more than an email. We have a replacement for face-to-face to the best of our ability, and are wearing the cost of licenses, extra cloud storage, etc, etc, to make sure we can provide a continuation of learning for students while they're at home.

We use Schoolbox as our LMS and Zoom now integrates nicely with it. We were the first school to have it integrated and had to work with them to get it up and running, but you can schedule classes as per the remote-learning timetable, join from the embedded element, it passes through SSO credentials from the LMS, cloud records all meetings, etc.

I'm actually a big fan of how well it's working for us.

Luckily we had been looking into it a month before everything went down-hill, so we had time to have it all up and running before demand increased massively and Zoom's support chat queue was in the hundreds and hundreds long to get a simple question answered.

15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I find Zoom useful... use it for regular conference calls, screenshare meetings etc. I don't see it being much different to other similar platforms though.

[​IMG]

JSmith

sammy_b0i likes this.
  16. Tinian

Tinian Member

Security issues prevent us using Zoom. It's not cleared to be on our platforms so it's a moot issue for us.

17. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

Zoom is probably the best tool out there. Not saying it's great, it's just that the competition is so, so bad. Skype is probably the worst, and Teams not far behind. Google hangouts or meet or whatever their most recent tool is called was ok.

We've had a company wide directive to uninstall zoom on all our machines, which is a shame. Now we have to use teams and deal with it's mountain of issues. Half our meetings have connection or account issues and we usually end up having to do it in a slack call these days.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How are they bad?

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The software is aimed at inexperienced users. Responses like this are blaming inexperienced users for being inexperienced.

Either it should be secure by default and protect the inexperienced users its directly marketing to, or it should stop marketing itself as simple and come with adequate documentation and warnings.

Blaming the users is not acceptable.

Worth noting that many large orgs, government and military are all banning Zoom. The security concerns are real enough that efforts are being put in to protect staff and companies from these design shortfalls.

I've recommended all of my clients use alternatives. Saying Zoom is magically better for the current sort of work-from-home setups is patently nonsense. Zoom certainly has some good features, but most are well outside of what people are looking for right now (nobody's using conferencing hardware in meeting rooms), so literally any other tool will do.

Also, in this crisis, Google and Microsoft have both removed many limits on Hangouts, Teams and Skype. There's plenty of reason to try an alternative for yourself right now, and the big name tools are all free, plus they've had a lot more time to get security right.

A reminder that even with their popularity explosion, Zoom has a fraction of the user base of Skype. Easy to forget that with marketing and media hype. Sometimes the facts are quite boring.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    theSeekerr likes this.
  20. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

That’s a bit of a throw away remark.

I have been using Zoom for a year or so now, and it’s being actively developed - which is excellent. Can’t comment on pricing however as I don’t pay the bill.

MR CHILLED likes this.